State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

computer-rooter

Short answer-

!.) Basic prop: OEM Solas 3 blade aluminum. 15 inch pitch, about 13.5 to 13.75" diameter.

2.) Eliminate the first step and go directly to Solas 4 blade, 15 inch pitch, 13 inch diameter aluminum Amita prop- this is the best all around prop for this engine on a C-Dory, and probably is especially true considering the flat bottom of the Classic 22.

3.) Read endless prop discussions archived here, on other boating groups, and elsewhere in the known and unknown Universe. Come to same conclusions as above. Start over with #1 and proceed to #2.

4.) Don't like your results? Don't blame me! I've got a Yamaha! Instead complain to dogon dory Dan, a Suzuki guy ! Then find a Honda guy and chew him out good for not answering your questions.

5.) Drink six more cups of coffee and return to #3. Take the reading materials to the bathroom since you'll be spending most of the evening there.

6.) Look for used props on ebay. You can find the 3 blade OEM ones for about 1/2 price. Be sure to ask if they're dinged, like this post. You won't likely find the 4 blade Solas Amita there. Too prized to sell.

7.) Now get out the wax for your new prop. It MIGHT make it FASTER, or i t MIGHT make it SLOWER. Some offshore racers actually minutely rough up the back side of their props to get more grip (!!!) Go figure. Prop theory again. Skull it though all you want to and you still have a 70% chance of being wrong somewhere. Have several more of cups of coffee. It's gonna be a long night.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Very good reply!

Like DoD and others, I wish there was a more definite answer regarding the "which-is-the-best-prop-for-my-situation" question. But there are just SO many variables, it seems to take endless experimentation.

I guess you could say it's a fluid situation. (...er, er, er)

Just when you think you've arrived at prop-nirvana the paramaters change. ...you change the load/altitude/trim, etc. You collect all your performance data in fresh water - then go on a saltwater trip. Whatever.

But all-in-all, for some of us it's the fun of being anally retentive geeks trying to maximize the performance of our little adventure machines. Years ago we used to talk about how to get the best performance out of our prized 289/327/409cid engines; seems like yesterday. ...but it's still fun eh?

Maybe we should begin a thread on how to maximize C-Dory performance using a 10-20hp outboard! With the way gas prices are going we'll be there before we know it.

Anyway - thanks again for putting the prop variables in perspective!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek[/i]
computer-rooter

City/Region: Sitka
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: RAGING FERRET
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckly for me, I know that there is no end to some debates, and some, like spark plugs and motor oil, shouldn't be engaged in at all. Smile I'd been reading pitches everywhere from 12" to 18", diameters of nearly the same range, etc. My local marine shop suggested a 16-pitch. The guys at the dock got into heated arguments about whether the 13.131214 3-blade was more efficient than the 13.545 4-blade, between 2100rpm and 2600rpm, except on Saturday, when they load up on halibut. I have no illusions about attaining perfection on my first experiment, I just needed a reasonable baseline to start chucking props at, since I had nothing at all and no clues.

The consensus seems to be the aluminum, 4-blade 14 or 15-pitch on a 13" diameter. Since the pitch seems to be the "final drive gearing" part of the equation, I'm going to start with the taller gear and try the 15-pitch. I'm prepared to make adjustments up or down from there.

Also, while studying up on shaft length and such, I got a close look at my existing prop on the suzuki 100 and discovered a ding in a blade. I don't remember striking anything, but one leading edge is definitely curled. Can I pound that flat again, does it need to see the doctor, or has this prop been ruined? Is it damaging something to run it like that? I do notice a little vibration in my feet at cruise revs.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

computer-rooter

Standard fun tools for prop repair:

Vice
Big block of soft wood
big hammer- leather, wood, or rubber
series of files of increasing fineness
sandpaper-varing from about 120-400
black or while paint to hide what's left

You might have to take some off the other three blades to keep it balanced if it's really dinged.

About the only thing you can't do is weld it, unless you have the equipment.

Have fun!

Joe.
computer-rooter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
computer-rooter

Standard fun tools for prop repair:

Vice
Big block of soft wood
big hammer- leather, wood, or rubber
series of files of increasing fineness
sandpaper-varing from about 120-400
black or while paint to hide what's left

Joe.

Yeah, I got all that and I see where it's headed. But -- can anything be fixed without a sawzall and duc tape?

This is just a little curl on the edge of one blade. I think I can hammer it flat and file it smooth without losing more than a few grams of metal.

Finally -- if I go ahead with my choice of new prop, is there interchangeability between the suzuki 100 2-stroke and the honda 90? In other words -- could I replace it on the suzuki and then move it to the honda if I buy the honda, or are hubs or something different? Both engines seem to have the same basic RPM range . . .
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

computer-rooter-

Bad news two ways:

The 2 stroke Suzi 100 has a gear ratio of 2.08:1 and the Honda 90 four stroke 2.3:1 so the ratios are different, and it's unlikely the same prop pitch will run on both engines with the same boat, and

The Suzi and Honda have different hubs, so unless you buy a prop with a replaceable hub (of which there a quite a few), you've got that problem, too.

??????? Joe.
computer-rooter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
computer-rooter-

Bad news two ways:

The 2 stroke Suzi 100 has a gear ratio of 2.08:1 and the Honda 90 four stroke 2.3:1 so the ratios are different, and it's unlikely the same prop pitch will run on both engines with the same boat, and

The Suzi and Honda have different hubs, so unless you buy a prop with a replaceable hub (of which there a quite a few), you've got that problem, too.

??????? Joe.

See? That's why I ask the pros!
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Dog Gone It! Reply with quote

Now that the dog gone thing is on where is the dog gone data?
I am spinning the big 20 pitch with my Suzy 90 and I love it but I may step down a bit to conserve a little fuel.
The Suzuki 90 was the only one in it's class that would turn that 20 pitch screw and it pops my loaded for Tuna Angler with 4 adults (Supersized) a teenager (XL), 500# of ice, 400# of Tuna and all our dear up on plane without any problem at all.
I am interested in this 4 blade prop so please do share...

Is this an adjustable pitch prop?

Esplaine please...

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
dogon dory

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dog Gone It! Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ain't cat food buddy.... no sir. In fact I ran out of Tuna this year and thank goodness for friends cause one of them gave me a case of shorts.

The Albacore we catch in the Pac NW is the best in the ocean.

If we should ever cross paths you will have to taste some for yourself.
Those who have tasted my torched Tuna treats always ask em to make em again, and they go faster than I can make them. The smell of hair burned off the hands of those reaching in early to grab them doesn't even put people off and I am starting to get used to it (joking).

Looking forward to the data.

By the way, 400# split 3 ways goes faster than you can imagine.
Tuna is good.... if you have never had home canned, you have been eating cat food. Not that there is anything wrong with cat food, it's just that when you figure out it is cat food you tend to feed it to cats.... or maybe your inlaws... and that is only because they were outlaws before they were inlaws... Very Happy Twisted Evil Laughing .
computer-rooter

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother commercial fishes tuna, crab, and salmon out of Florence, OR. for his fish store and restaraunt. Sometimes, if I'm REALLY good, he sends me a can of his private label tuna or even better -- tuna pepperoni. I agree that anything less is really cat food, and that NW tuna is the best there is!

I didn't think a c-dory had the range to get out to the tuna though. I have a 50gal main tank and about 18gal in reserve, and with my fuel economy, I limit myself to 100 miles round trip on the main engine. How do you manage?
dogon dory

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

computer-rooter wrote:
...I didn't think a c-dory had the range to get out to the tuna though. I have a 50gal main tank and about 18gal in reserve, and with my fuel economy, I limit myself to 100 miles round trip on the main engine. How do you manage?

I have a 58 gallon main tank and carry 18 gallons. I have fished from before dawn to dark in teh Summer hours and never had less than 12 gallons remaining.

I have trim tabs and a fuel flow meter installed now and expect to be able to economize even more.

My Suzuki 90 4 stroke is quiet and really sips the fuel. In fact I was pulling up to the marina gas dock in Newport and teh attendant asked me if I knew that my engine had a recall out... I said, no.... he said, Yea, they don't burn enough gas... Shocked Laughing
I have been as far as 70 miles off shore. I love it out there...
dogon dory

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog Gone It! Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dog Gone It! Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried to trim the TTs (ooooh, nice!)

Wow! I need a better class of friends!
Come to think of it I think that last statement was a little too much information Teeth .

Thanks for posting the data you did collect... I am gonna hold off on asking for pics of the above quoted procedure as this is a family oriented site...

What prop pitches are available for that contraption?
Maybe I best just look it up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: