View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Sturgeon Reply with quote

Sturgeon talk!
Helen O

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, can you give me some information about sturgeon fishing down your way? I see that the Columbia is opening back up for sturgeon retention after Dec. 31. How soon do you start fishing them?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Helen O Sturgeon Larry -

We start hunting them steroidal catfish in early spring down this way. I guess there are still a bunch of them around down this low, but with the colder water, they hang out in the deeper holes and are more picky about their eating. I was asking Tackle Time Gene about it a while back, and he says they are pretty scarce in the lower estuarary in the fall and winter, and that most of the ocean dwellers go back outside and move elsewhere until the smelt have made their run up the river.

I am getting ansty, though. I already have a couple trips planned for July to nail the double header. A limit of salmon in the ocean and a limit of sturgeon on the way back up the river is my new goal in life.

Any idea where we can get some bait for the next season?

Helen O

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bait? Smelt are purdy hard to come by, unless you dip them yourself. Kinda spendy to buy the little buggers in a store. Hmmmm, let me see..... there is a professor at a local college that has been known to keep a few smelt in his freezer. He might sell us some. Smile

Hey, Ifish.com is having their 2nd annual sturgeon challenge on Jan. 10 this year. It's just an excuse to go out sturgeon fishing, the boat with the biggest and most get's bragging rights for the year. Anyhow, last year it was held on Dec. 7th. Most boats fished the Portland area with a few keepers caught. The winners fished the estuary and limited out the boat. They were the only boat that had a limit, and the only boat fishing the estuary. I find that just a little bit interesting. Smile
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but do you trust 'em?

There are fish down here, for sure. I've been told you have to fish the deep holes (even the 100 footers if you can find them), and use cut bait with lots of stinkum on it so they will get interested and find it it in the murky depths. I have never tried it (shoot, I have only been fishing sturgeon for 2 1/2 seasons, so you are really asking the wrong damn guy!). Where's Raven Dave when you need him? I promise you this, if he still remembers how to get onto this site, he will be drawn to the Sturgeon topic like a salmon to his downrigger.

You retired guys have too much time!
TyBoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Internet: www.dfw.state.or.us Fax: (503) 947-6009

For Immediate Release Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2003

Fish and Wildlife Commission hears options for Columbia River sport sturgeon seasons

SALEM - Biologists from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Friday recommended to the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission that the estuary portion of the lower Columbia River be open for sturgeon harvest seven days a week five months of the year and the river above the estuary be open to harvest three days a week 10 months of the year.

Of the several options presented, the Commission supported the staff recommendation. The Commission indicated changing the legal size limit for sturgeon was undesirable at this time. The final decision for the 2004 and 2005 Columbia River sturgeon seasons will be made Jan. 7, 2004, in Vancouver, Wash., by the Oregon and Washington departments fish and wildlife working as the Columbia River Compact.

"It's time to try this," said ODFW program manager Steve King said about the three days per week recommendation. Many sport anglers have advocated extending the harvest season by closing down certain days of the week.
The seven-member Commission is the rule-making body for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. The panel meets monthly to adopt policies and administrative rules for fish and wildlife management in the state.

The sturgeon season in the lower Columbia River is managed to maintain a healthy population of white sturgeon in all age classes by limiting the annual harvest and the size of fish that may be retained. For sport anglers, catch and release angling of sturgeon may occur once the harvest season closes.

The objectives governing the sport sturgeon fishery include: set a maximum annual harvest of 40,000 fish, allocate 80 percent of the harvest to sport anglers and 20 percent to commercial boats, split the sport catch 60 percent in the estuary area and 40 percent to non-estuary areas, minimize the need for emergency in-season action and maintain fishery monitoring and management capabilities. The Commission, however, directed ODFW staff to discuss with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife the potential of shifting some portion of the estuary sport catch to the fishery above the estuary because of the greater of number of people who participate in that area.

The Commission heard eight different options for the sport fishery:
-Option 1: Open the non-estuary area above the Wauna power lines for specific days per week. Biologists estimate a 15,000 fish catch during a three-day per week fishery open the entire year. This option would result in about 116,400 angler trips in this area, but would exceed the desired 12,000 fish harvest.
-Option 2: Maintain spring fishing opportunity in the non-estuary area above the Wauna power lines. Biologists estimate this option would result in a 12,000 fish catch through a Jan. 1 - July 31 and Dec. 13 - 31 season and 90,700 angler trips above Wauna. This option would reduce the opportunity to fish near Bonneville Dam from the bank compared to previous years.
-Option 3: Open the non-estuary area above the Wauna power lines three days per week, with Aug. 1 - Sept. 15 closed to harvest. Biologists estimate this option would result in a 13,300 fish harvest from 100,400 angler trips above Wauna. The season would be open three days per week Jan. 1 - July 31 and Sept. 16 - Dec. 31. If the late season opened two weeks later, on Oct. 1, the catch would drop to 12,000 fish.
-Option 4: Extend the estuary fishery below the Wauna power lines into July. Biologists estimate this option would result in a 18,300 fish catch during a Jan. 1 - April 30 and June 1 - July 3 season. This option would result in 39,100 angler trips below Wauna.
-Option 5: Extend the estuary fishery below the Wauna power lines by increasing the minimum size limit. Biologists estimate this option would result in a 14,800 fish catch with a Jan. 1-June 15 season with a 42-60 inch size limit and a June 16-July 9 season with a 48-60 inch size limit. This option would result in 52,700 angler trips below Wauna.
-Option 6a: Raise the minimum size limit to 48 inches in the lower Columbia River below Bonneville Dam. Biologists estimate this option would result in a 9,000 fish harvest in the estuary and a 5,300 fish harvest above the estuary and 270,100 total angler trips.
-Option 6b: Reduce the maximum size limit to 54 inches in the lower Columbia River below Bonneville Dam. Biologists estimate this option would result in a 21,100 fish catch in the estuary and a 13,800 fish catch above the estuary and 155,100 total angler trips. This option would affect the Oregon bank fishery in the Columbia River gorge.
-Option 7: Follow the 2003 season structure. The season would be open for retention Jan. 1 - April 30 and June 8 - July 11 in the estuary and Jan. 1 - Feb. 29 and Sept. 15 and Dec. 31 above the estuary. Biologists estimate the catch would be 18,000 fish in the estuary and 12,000 fish above the estuary and would result in 129,800 total angler trips.

The Commission supported a proposal that would open the estuary area below Wauna power lines seven days per week Jan. 1 - April 30 and June 1 - July 3; or Jan. 1 - April 30 and May 15 - June 27. Commissioners supported opening the area above the estuary three days per week Jan. 1 - July 31 and Oct. 1 - Dec. 31.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you's, I've been held captive in Victoria, am back for a few days then off again. If you guys want smelt, I still have a bunch...Larry, my freezer O' smelt is just off the freeway on your way to the cash Bermuda triangle called FMS/West marine/BoaterWorld.....Mike, M has Depot Bay on the agenda next week if you need an emergency devlivery we could drop some off (aint gift wrapping them)...for anybody reading this....I don't sell smelt...I know people that love dipping smelt but are banned from bringing any more home.
Had the 7 Cedars steak special for lunch today Smile

TyBoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C, man am I glad you're back. You gotta track Larry down and help him. He has wigged out on RF's AK site, and it's just a matter of time before he flips here, too.

Naw, I still have a couple packs of the smelt you gave me that I gave to Tim that he gave back to me. Do you need them back? I won't need anymore until the new batch rolls in. By the looks of what the DFW boys want to do, I might only need four or five of the stupid things, anyway.

What were you doing at Victoria's? Christmas shopping at her Secret store? How come you couldn't get out? How the cripe come you're going to Depot Bay this time of year? I thought you were going to spend all the winter holidays in AZ or NM from now on? You would do better to go to Home Depot.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Larry doing researching Herring sounds? he needs to go fishing before he goes totaly over the edge. Not having a dog on the boat, it's good to know that I can now blame the bait for those bad odors.
Mike, bigger boat = more anglers= need for more smelt, we may need to double your allotment. The smelt club is like the book club from hell, you'll need a note from your congressman to get of the shipping liist
Your questions are the same ones I ask...M is the director of land based vacations, I just go where I'm told Smile
Helen O

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Okay, the cat's outa the bag. I'm having top secret meetings with Buzz Ramsey. I can't tell the details cept to say that this is going to revolutionize the fishing lure industry.
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Time to bag ol' slipperlips Reply with quote

Hey Lyle, can you come out and play?
Anyone else?
I think I'll take my son out fishing this Thursday.
Remember to get your new license....
Oh yea, Sturgeon retention will be Twisted Evil OPEN Twisted Evil

Muhahaha haha haa

I plan to target the Kelly point area and will monitor 16 and 78 on the VHF.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Raven

C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: Raven
Photos: Raven
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to start on the sturg. in the first of march..Hard to find down here in shallow that time of year but didn't seem to mind biting when found.We have had some very good march fishing and some very bad as well.No competition,cold,and no one to help you but the Coast Gaurd if you get in trouble..(which is why we don't start so early anymore)We used smelt,fresh when available..Finding them was the ticket down here..We'll let Mike hunt em up this spring,he's those sturgies worst dream!! Very Happy Very Happy
Raven Dave
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave - good to hear from you again.

This has nothing to do with sturgeon fishing, but if I put it here you will be sure and find it.

As you know, my mom lives just down the road from you, and I have been going over there a lot lately. As I pass your place, I can't help but notice the nose of the Raven peeking out the front of the lean-to. I have always thought I heard it saying something to me as I drove by, but could never make out what it was. Now that I have that super-quiet Dodge diesel, I can hear it more clearly. Today, I was able to make out what it was saying. I don't know if it always says this, but today it for sure said, "Please, Dave, go to the Seattle Boat Show and see if you can find anything for me!"

So, I figured since you are going up to the SBS anyway, you might as well call the Larkspur Hotel and make a room reservation so you and the Mrs. can attend the CBC, too! Man, that will be great! See ya there!
Raven

C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: Raven
Photos: Raven
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you suppose they have red wine there???
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauranteed. I'll even buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: