The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sticky Side Window, CD 22 Cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Sticky Side Window, CD 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

We discovered an annoying problem with the sliding side windows on our 22' C-Dory (1987 Cruiser). Often times the window would stick in the closed position requiring a good deal of force to unjam it. Here's what I found it to be doing: If the window was pushed beyond the position where the latch clicks in, it would cause the latch lever to try to go over the next rib in the frame. The problem is, it can't quite make it that far closed. Consequently, the latch lever would get stuck on the top of the second rib and dig in when I tried to slide the window open. When the latch is jammed, it can't be pivoted open much further, so it does not have any clearance between its point and the top of the second rib. To prevent the problem, a strip of rubber can be placed in the channel to keep the window from closing as far, thus keeping the latch lever from climbing up onto the second rib. A length of O-Ring material glued in should do the trick.

Posted here is a crude sketch I drew up of what I'm talking about.

Mike

Mike, did you try the proposed fix? Did it work?

To tell you the truth, Ray, I did not try the fix. Not yet anyway. Once I figured out what was happening, I stopped shutting the widows so hard. They still get stuck once in a while if I forget or have to shut it in a hurry. Some things just take time, you know.

Mike

Mike
I have the same problem on my 92 cruiser. My window was sticking in the lower channel. Next time the window sticks pour water on the outside of the window. Then try moving the window after the water soaks into the channel. I think the problem is the fuzz has come off the channel on the older boats.
I will lube. the channels in my boat with a large graphite stick that I use in my work as a piano tuner.

Doug B.

My 91 CD's windows were sticking on both sides. I took a piece of soft surgical tubing about 8" long, split it lengthwise, and put a piece in the front vertical channel of each window channel. The tubing was large enough that it fit into and stayed in the channel without any adhesive. Fixed the problem immediately.

This was about a year and a half ago and the rubber is still there and the windows work great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: