Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahha- I knew it was something simple, I couldn't see what could possibly be wrong with the floor as it looked great, and well thought out, plus I looked very close let me tell you. I agree, the word is Go CDORY Cool

Sark
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AW HA, the factory is cutting corners (off the table) That looks nice and much more comfortable. That table corner cutting is next on my to do list
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home from my blood letting at West Marine...now that my son does not work there it kills me to pay retail..... UAH !!!
But I am really glad someone started this topic...it got me off the dime...that table has irritated me from the beginning... I have scars on my head from leaning over and coming up under that corner..... So I bought some teak corners ....$20 each UAH !! but now I will have rounded corners and a happy brat I will be.

Joel
SEA3PO
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

Do you have any pics of the rounded corners?

I also have hit the corners and when I saw that the factory had just cut off the corners I took my table to the cutoff saw and no more corners!
I did paint the unfinished wood and now there is a place to wipe crumbs off the table. Nice rounded teak corners would be nice but cut and paint took about 10min. to do.

Steve
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wipe da crumbs off ???That't what got my scars in the first place...I need to keep stuff off the floor...not wipe it down there....
I just bought the corners today..... it will take me a few days to get up enough energy to take the table out, cut it...and install the edges... it's raining...n cold...etc..etc..etc.
I will post some pictures as soon as I finish the job.

Joel
SEA3PO
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried re-gluing, but had scrapped off the old glue first. Mistake. It was about an 1/8 thick and necessary for the handle to fit flat on the window surface. I then tried a thick glob of Silicone sealant/adhesive and that has worked thus far, but it doesn't look really permanent. If it comes off again, as I expect it will when the weather heats up, I'll go to the real deal replacements.
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of this input. I sent an email to Jeff at the factory 2 days ago with a picture of my table issue. No response yet.

In a nutshell... the corner of my new 22' Cruiser's table were not curved with the teak molding ending a bit prior to the newly formed cut corner. In the picture shown above from someone's 25' boat, it was a finished piece of teak that came to an end, then the curve started.

On my new 22', the teak was in place and someone simply took a saw and cut the corners off so that the teak now had a raw edge on both pieces of molding that approach this corner.

Using a curved corner with properly finished off teak edging would have been my preference of course... as opposed to this radical choice.

Should be interesting to see how the factory responds.

Again, I would post the pic here or on my profile but I dont have the ability to as of yet.

Thanks,

Gary R.

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: C-Dory Factory Cutting Corners" Reply with quote

Joe & Sark - in my post I used the words "self-draining" to describe the new deck, not "bailing" in a sense of water going to scuppers and then overboard. I mentioned the bilge pump was now aft assuming the reader would understand the water would move that way - to the stern. I should have mentioned the floor was now raised several inches above the tanks and that the bilge pump was now located in the sump area of the transom, which would give the reader a clearer understanding of the modifcation. I had just come from the factory and while there was shown a 22' cruiser with the new deck, stood on it, and immediately saw it was an improvement. And I did head home with a new set of inserts to level out the cockpit sole in the Far West III, also definitely an improvement, but inferior in my judgment to this latest factory modification. The factory has made changes to the bilge pump location several times in ten years. The new location seems to me to be the best since that sump area always seems to have some water in it. Of course these are just one man's opinions. It was Twain who said that "It is a difference of opinion that makes a horse race". John
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: cutting corners Reply with quote

The corners on the new 22' Les is putting together for me are just as has been described. Teak trim raised above the table surface up to about 3 inches from what would be the actual corner. The two corners have been cut of back to the teak leaving about a 4 inch plywood edge that is painted white. I'm not too fond of the plywood edge showing so, as a woodworker guy I plan to just get some teak and face that plywood edge blending the teaks together and keeping the new edge flush with the table top for cleaning. Not a big deal in my opinion.

Colobear (eagerly awaiting our C-Dory)
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not a big deal...I agree... but most of us had the table with the square edge and it always frustrated me when I banged into it.... All this ciscussion has prompted me to buy some rounded corners and modify my table.\

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished re-molding the table....with corners... I used a bit larger molding so it would give a bit more rim around the table... I like it...and best of all ....those round corners won't hurt when I bang my head on them.

I posted pictures in my album....I would have done it here, but it's too technical for me.... (ie. lazy)

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary....if you want.... I have the teak molding that I took off...enough for you to put on the edge of your table where they cut the edge off...it would look nicer than just a painted edge...and best of all it's free... that is if you don't mind wine soaked teak.... Yes I am Portuguese

Joel
SEA3PO
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joel,

Thanks so much for your offer of the teak. Based on comments within the pub, I'll probably keep the status quo...and have an escape route for those crumbs.

As for the wine soaked teak... how about just sending the wine? he he

Very Happy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: