C-Dory Factory Cutting Corners?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: C-Dory Factory Cutting Corners? Reply with quote

Dont for a second think this has anything to do with the quality of their wonderful product...

I had the opportunity the other day to travel to St Louis and get eyes on my new 22' Cruiser.

The outer corners of the dining table were cut off. Literally they cut the corners. I can see where this may be for safety reasons, but there was no molding around the cut...just a raw edge from a saw.

Is this taking place on other boats?

Please let me know... maybe they just forgot the molding after the cut.

Gary R.

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it very seriously. The table is edged on all four sides with a teak edge which is raised above the table level. The teak edges should all stop about two inches from the rounded finished corners of the table top itself. If the table edge didn't get finished, someone let it slip through at the factory. I also am pretty sure that the cabinet parts are sub'ed out to a company that uses laser guided saws for accuracy.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Godfry Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Quality Issues Reply with quote

Gary,

I hate to say it but I've heard the same thing on a number of ocassions now. Everything from poor fit and finish to leaking boats.

The word on the street is that the company's financial situation is causing them to ship out boats as fast as possible which is never a good idea with a boat that has developed an excellent reputation over the years for quality.

GP
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP,

Think we live on different streets. I've seen a steady increase in quality on the CD's and many improvements. Almost all of the comments have been positive - and the rare problem is taken care of immediately by the factory.

This is in sharp contrast to other boat manufacters that I've purchased boats from. If you have problems with your C-Dory it would be interesting to know what they are, and what the factory has done about them.

Dusty

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nothing's perfect; but instead of asking the membership here, ask the factory. They have been wonderful to us regarding any problems, and if the table isn't correct get with the dealer and/or the factory.

If you look at the C-Dory charts they are putting out a lot more boats now, but if I go through the pictures on Toland boats, and newer boats, the workmanship of ours is clearly superior. The wiring and plumbing is done professionally, instead of as an afterthought. the fittings and doors have been upgraded. The Tolands clearly cared about designing and building good boats, I'm not questioning that, but the rest of the stuff appears to be better.

Boris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What most of us have been saying about the present factory's quality control and attention to customer satisfaction after sale is right on and represents an admirable standard for the rest of the industry.

The "word on the street" may be wishful thinking that they're saying out in the alley behind a competitors shop during a work-break, hoping to get a bigger part of the boatbuilding action.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Issues Reply with quote

Godfry Paul wrote:
Gary,

I hate to say it but I've heard the same thing on a number of ocassions now. Everything from poor fit and finish to leaking boats.

The word on the street is that the company's financial situation is causing them to ship out boats as fast as possible which is never a good idea with a boat that has developed an excellent reputation over the years for quality.

GP

I would say first off, after talking to many boat owners in my fishing club when I first got my palmer, they all stated most new boats all had minor details that needed to be ironed out. That it is common from any boat manufacturer. As far as major problems I think Cdory has a pretty good track record of taking care of anyone who does. Remember the Caty Mae. I'm not sure which street you live on but here in Cdory town ( cbrats) It seems like most everyone is pretty pleased with both the boats and the factory's level of service. I know I have nothing bad to say about them, and think they do a bang up job Thumbs Up Thumbs Up . You have to remember these boats are made by people. I know in my work mistakes are made ( although I try to avoid them), but as long as they are corrected, the customer ends up happy. As my father and mentor in business says " you don't know how good a vendor really is until you have problems" . Which basically means everyone is going to make mistakes but it is how we correct these that will set us apart or leave us trailing behind. Just my $.02

Wishi I was fishin
Sark
Godfry Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Aberation Reply with quote

Gary,

It may be that the table top was just an aberation of some kind. Was everything else on the boat ok? Tight and solid? Did it ride well?

There may just be a rogue man with a circular saw on the loose.

GP
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

GD - I noticed you don’t list a boat in your profile, however in previous post (in other threads on this site), you indicated you have a 22’ boat and I assumed it was a newer C-Dory.

If it is, what is the quality like?
Are you happy with it or have you found problems that have not been taken care of?

The reason I ask is that your statement seemed to come from left field. There is not a product on the market that doesn’t have someone unhappy with it. However, you make it sound like this is a common occurrence with C-Dory.

I had previously scheduled a visit with the factory today, for their input on modifications on my boat and will bring a copy of your statement for their reaction. This is not to cause controversy. If it is true, I want to know. If it is not (which I am inclined to believe), they should have a chance to defend themselves.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw a new boat with the table that did not have teak trim in the corners... I very much doubt that this is a quality control issue but more of a safety issue..on my table with it's 90 degree corners I have cracked my head several times...it makes a sharp pointy edge...not good..
I don't think I care for the unfinished look of the bare corners, safer now, but somewhat different .... I am sure somewhere someone sells teak molding that is for rounded corners.....that would look finished...and remove that sharp edge.
I agree with Dusty....I think the quality control is excellent, and the factory support is first class....

Joel
SEA3PO
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a recent purchaser (August 2005), and with 100 hours already on my engines, I think I can attest to the quality of the product, and just as important, the quality of the customer service. Every nit picking things(and there was only a couple) I complained about were taken care of, my engines have been flawless, and the boat is perfect, not even any stress cracks, and I've been out in some stress producing seas. Example of the customer service: recently the latch on the starboard sliding window fell off. Called Scott Mathews at the factory and he sent me not one, but two replacement handles. BTW, I had complained on this site about the setee table not staying firmly in place when leaned upon in rough weather.....well, the fix offered here works. Simple; a pin through the clips that hold the table solved the problem.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. I see 2 issues here. The first regards an unfinished raw wood corner---definitely a mistake and I'm sure it will be fixed. The second issue regards the untrimmed rounded corner. If you want to clean crumbs and other messy stuff from your table, it's very handy to have a place to push the junk off and the untrimmed corners allow for that. IF the C-Ranger Tug happens for us that is one change I am requesting---the current table has a raised teak lip all the way around.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A look at the 'kitchen' counter teak trim on the SBSC hull model for the Ranger R25 shows the 'broken corner' design common on ships and small boats which allows easy cleaning as per Patti....

Every contact I have had with the factory and Washington sales ppl has been positive and I am certain they would welcome the opportunity to explain and make you happy.

I, too, have not heard any negative 'word on the street' about C-Dory. On the contrary, they have been very extra patient and understanding in dealing with me and anxious to please everyone with whom I have visited.

John

nscogin

City/Region: Washington DC/Wareham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Photos: Dawn Treader
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall a similar off-the-wall critical post on the C-Dogs website a couple of months ago. In that case I think it was also touting the Cape Cruiser. Could it be the same person?

Norma
TruroYankee

City/Region: Tip of Cape Cod - North Truro
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: No Complaints Reply with quote

I also had my starboard window handle fall off. C-Dory rep said they'd be happy to replace it, but why not just try to Crazy Glue it back on. Voila!

Also had a mama racoon tear out some floatation from under the seats last year. C-Dory factory rep sent me free, and postpaid - a trunk-sized box of new flotation (for a two foot-square holes) and walked me through installing it. My insurance company wouldn't cover it - but C-Dory did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: