View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Radar recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

We're toying with the idea of getting radar for our new 22, but have no experience running radar. I guess I got the bug because of the cool new low mount radar arch with rocket launchers available from the factory.

Also, I have been caught out on Lake Erie in heavy rain and fog when radar would have been invaluable. Hearing the big jet catamaran ferries charging through the fog is scary, to say the least. I know that they can see me on radar, but I'd like that advantage, too.

Can you give us any advice based on what you are running, things to look for, cost and so on? We're getting a Garmin 188C, but hope the new 198C comes out before we take delivery. I'm not interested in getting an integrated system to connect to that.

Thanks for your help,

Nick and Marcia
Valkyrie
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, there will be lots of different Radar installations at our Chesapeake Bay gathering in early June. Not trying to slow your search but you can try them all out, at least you can try mine out, and I'm sure others will volunteer as well. Nothing like first hand information/hands on stuff!! Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

We'll be there and looking forward to it. Good advice.

Thanks,

Nick and Marcia
Valkyrie
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Before you part with your cash!! Most of these little comsumer radars will NOT see thru heavy rain. Even with the various elctronic gadgets they have on Furuno and Raytheon --a highly experienced operator has his work cut out. You might be able to see one of the big cats, but I doubt very much you'll see small craft. BTDT. Recommend you check with some of the locals.

Dusty
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the c-80 system by raymarine and I just love it. all in one unit with radar overlay on the chart plotter. warning zones that you can set. some thing comes in the zone and a alarm sounds to let you know. target tracking of up to 10 targets with course and heading of each one. It has a rain adjustment but I have not really had the chance to use it yet. I have had the chance to use the unit in a complete white out. We were coming back in to deception pass in heavy fog at dusk when the fog gods said" YOU SHALL NOT PASS" AND i SAID B.S. the deception pass is only 100 yards wide. with the radar and chartplotter we were able to get thru and to the dock with out any trouble. well a few frayed nerves but thats it. I could not tell the water from the fog for a while. with out the radar we would have turned back and spent the night on the hook or at another dock. I have been really impressed with the Accuraties of the chartplotter. As far as the big boats seeing you on radar, dont count on it . unless you have a lot of metal showing or a radar deflector on the roof they my not see you and I would hate to have to live on the hope that they do. I may be wrong but i believe that if you are broadcasting with your radar you will show up better on theirs. (what sayes sawdust)
I run my unit in all weather and from the time i get in the boat until I get back to the dock. good training to run it in sunny weather.

Sawdust

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C80 is a a great unit - takes me under the Deception Pass bridge too without fail in zero zero... in heavy rain -- ooohhh. As good as any, but you really need more power to penetrate and get a return in the heavy stuff. The big guys don't see you any better if you have your radar on -- sometimes he will see "spokes" from interference generated by your radar, but not always... don't count on him seeing you. If he happens to be looking at the scope he might Rolling Eyes. If you are in a shipping lane and monitoring the right channel you will hear the the big guys being advised by the controller where you are... and that's a comfort.

If in doubtful visibility and your radar sucks, go by the rules and get your fog signals going. Not only is the big guy going to win, he usually destroys the evidence Shocked

Dusty
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing up the part about see other radar returns, it was i was told but was not sure if it was true. hows the lig cod fishing??
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't dismiss the C-70/radar package deal either (West Marine). If you want the MARPA function (highly recommended) you'll have to get the remote compass and remote controller seperate. I looked at both C-70 & 80 and went with the 70 in a hanging mount (doesn't block my windows -- still the #1 avoidance system) yet is plenty big for me to see even split screen, since I use seperate depth sounder (Matrix 97). If you go the way I did, the Matrix (or your present GPS/Depthsounder) will save you buying the depth module components ($750 - 1000 depending on the components) and you'll have not only have depth, but a backup GPS (or primary if you want full-screen radar on the C-70) all in one on the dash.

Good luck!
Sawdust

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice Ling coming in this a.m. (not mine Sad ) -- weekday pressure not bad.

And Mr. Flagold is absolutely right. C-70 is good, and another screen is good. Back up is good. Unfortunately the RayNav digital depth sounder unit is so great -- I can see shrimp schools (do shrimp school?) at 300 feet. Best unit I've used other than the huge 5000 buck commercial Furunos... and I really like Matrix. Hard to get a bad unit now.

Dusty

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this with great interest as I will soon be in need of new electronics (fingers crossed there will be money left for them). I just got a flyer in the mail that Raymarine is having special pricing for the month of May.
gljjr

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with the Lowrance LMS337c? At $699 it seems to be a great buy. Also, I noticed that Lowrance is saying that it is "radar ready". Has anyone heard what Lowrance is doing for radar? I'm sure it won't compare with the tried and true of Raymarine, Furuno, JRC, etc but wonder if it is something to consider.
Sawdust

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that price range I'd certainly look at the Humminbird Matrix... it's a great little unit -- I'm now installing one on my tin boat... you can see detail in BRIGHT sunlight where some of the other units fall down.

Dusty
gljjr

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model of Matrix did you get?
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must caution though that there is a trade-off on my 97 Matrix to the great screen in daylight and that is at night it doesn't really dim down as far as I want it to. I may be overly sensitive to light since I do have night blindness (lupus) but have solved the problem by putting a thin gauze over the screen at night. I suspect the C-70/80 will dim right down though I haven't been out at night with it yet. With that said, I really can't complain to much for all you get at the price the Matrix sells for.
Sawdust

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Got to check with Les on the model number. He's installing it for me. We used the 27 on the 16 ft. tin boat but this one has GPS/Map. I'll be back to you.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: