View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: VHF Antenna location/mounting Reply with quote

I'm looking for some input on mounting options for an 8 ft VHF antenna. I have a 3 ft, 3 dB whip right now, but transmission just isn't reliable enough.

Have looked at the other threads and although there's lot on radio types and antenna pros/cons, I didn't see much on pros/cons for mounting locations. Options seem to be:

1. mounting on the side of the cabin, forward - do any of you with this location find that it hampers your movement forward to the bow? Does it smack the cabin roof in chop and require a stand-off?

2. Mounting on the top rail - in this location, is the effect of roll magnified? Any noticeable impact on performance? Or is this offset by the greater height over mounting on the cabin side?

Any other pros or cons? It may be that there's little difference between these two options, but figured I'd ask before I drill! Any feedback will be appreciated.

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand from my radio-savvy friends, height is of real advantage in mounting these things. Ours is mounted on the top rail rather than at the side of the cabin. For trailering we simply lay it down aft but a bit higher than the rail and then strap it under a bit of bowed tension and it rides just fine.
Al

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Al - the more height the better. My antenna was mounted where the guy at the factor told me was best (on the starboard side, in front of and just below the starboard window). In retrospect, I wish I had mounted it up top. The earth's curvature is about 8"/mile so every foot of increase gets you about 1.5 miles increase in line of sight.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: VHF Antenna location/mounting Reply with quote

Bluecrab wrote:

1. mounting on the side of the cabin, forward - do any of you with this location find that it hampers your movement forward to the bow? Does it smack the cabin roof in chop and require a stand-off?

On my 16' Cruiser I had the 8' antenna mounted on the side and had the unfortunate experience of having a bow line cross over behind the antenna at a dock under windy conditions and snap the antenna, (don't ask me how this happened....too confusing!), causing me to "splint" it for a temporary fix until I got back home several days later and was able to purchase and install a new one.

I noticed on your photo album that you don't have a radar arch....if you did, I'd suggest mounting a short antenna there. (So, in answer to your question, I vote for somewhere on top).

C-Brat #16
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: VHF Antenna location/mounting Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the quick responses, folks!! Top seems unanimous, which was kind of what I thought. Was thinking about one of those 4 ft digital antennas, but opted for the greater length. The little 3 ft job I have now just doesn't cut it.

I'm going to take advantage of this great weather and get a few things done on Lizzie Ann - 77 degrees yesterday - unbelievable.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: