View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Converting to a Wallas Reply with quote

Hi all,

Couldn't find this topic exactly, just all sorts of information on operational problems and ideas. Well, looks like I'm going to have to join the rest of you and get a Wallas. For past 15 yrs on 3 boats I've been an alcohol junky (Origo that is). Cooked everything on those little 2-burner stoves, and I mean everything, even make biscuits in a covered pan. Last time out though, winter at Catalina (like summer in AK...) I came back to the boat and found my son with the stove on for heat using my handy-dandy, home-built heat distributor, but...windows not cracked open enough, only two about 1/4". The windows had moisture all over them (by-product of the alcohol burning), I didn't like it at all -- endanged my son.

So, Wallas it is. Toyotomi (aka Toyoset, Toyo) only sells a heater now, discontinued their stove/heater similar to the Wallas.

I called Scan Marine, talked to a very knowledgable and nice lady. Got all the prices, but she hesitated with a long pause after she asked what accessories I wanted -- and I didn't answer. The 85DU is the model I'm going for (don't know the difference with it and the 90, web site not clear). There are exhaust tube choices and thru-hull (sidewall) vent types. Also fuel containers, small and tall, or large and low. I also know I'll need to mod or replace the countertop since the Wallas is smaller than my Origo. Can anyone provide help on what exhaust tube, tube insulator, and vent types I should order to fit my CD25? I can only measure approximates without the unit. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Steve
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
Scan Marine has rigged hundreds of CDs. Just tell them you have a CD25 and you want all the parts for their standard rig. I'm sure they'll fix you up.

Yep.....what DOD says!

C-Brat #16
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Here's link to another thread in which this exact topic was discussed before. The answers to your questions lie within.

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and take it from me, bite the bullet right off and replace your countertop. I spent a heck of a lot of time building an elaborate surround to fill the gap out of teak, but in the end replace the counter top anyway. It makes a much cleaner installation and leaves you with more useable counterspace.
Al

Jeff and Diane

City/Region: Renton, Washington
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Immacu-Nada/"C-Spaz"
Photos: Immacu-Nada
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was just cruising the sites for a minute. If you look at our album on page 12 and 13 I took pictures of Jeff when he installed our Wallas. I don't know if this will help at all, but Jeff did a stellar job and I know that I LOVE Love the Wallas Very Happy . So if this is of any help, "Right On". Gotta go!

See you all soon out on the water!!

Rose Wink Diane
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve... I also faced the problem of counter top repair/replacement when I converted over to propane.... and the counter top was easy...what I did was make the hole the exact size I wanted using hard wood as shim material ...screwed and glued in place... then I just laid a new piece of formica over the top...and used a router to recut the hole to that size...it took less than an hour...and is super strong.... I went to Ventura to a cabinet place close to West Marine and bought a scrap of formica for $6 .... I changed the color to blue as I thought the white formica was to sterile...and wanted more color in the cabin... I think it looks nice, plus it is easy....(and strong)
Now Sue and I are thinking of adding one of those Dickerson fireplaces/heaters

Joel
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wallace club Steve, those little stove are awesome in are C-Dory, here in BC I fish all year around , the first thing to be turn on after the launch is you get it, the WALLAS stove never shut it of but when the boat gets back on the trailer.

Gary SEARAM
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve.... I was talking to Pounder awhile back and he told me that his new stove came with a neat knife....You might check with Karl at Scan to see it it still comes with the kit...... the knife is to cut yer throat when the thing breaks down....

Joel
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks all for all the input. I researched (as much as I could via Internet) the Dickinson and Toyotomi's also. Here's what I found.

Seems like the Toyotomi's got out of the small 'stove' business, only build heaters, mostly for homes. They look to be simpler than the Wallas, appear to use a wick rather than pump to supply the fuel (same fuel, K-1). Their smallest is the Toyoset heater at 17.5"L x 14.5"H x 7.5"D, nice looking but fairly large. Puts out 4,900 BTU/hr on low and 9,800 on high. Hmmm, might 'burn' me out of the boat!

The Dickinson diesel is even larger than the Toyoset, with more BTU's/hr also. Dickinson makes a smaller propane heater that would probably be the one you're targeting, Joel. Looks good, but I don't want to add propane to my list of fuels on board.

So, what I'd like to know is if the Wallas stove/heater combo is sufficient to heat my CD25's cabin in mildly cold weather, say 30-40 deg? The latest Wallas double-burner model 85DU puts out 900 and 1900 Watts (don't know if they meant BTUs/hr?). Also, for those that have converted from the Origo pressureless alcohol stoves to the Wallas, how's the cooking compare -- slower, faster, about same? I know one burner is pretty hot while the other is medium, not sure how that works out for a multi-course dinner??

Thanks again, really helps to have such a large consumer base.

Steve
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Steve, we used an Origo alcohol years ago. Took forever to boil a pot of water. Next stove was propane.

When Judy saw the Wallis could also be a heater, she went nuts. No matter what they charged she was going to get one. And they charged a lot. However, they do overheat the cabin, on low, down to about 40 deg. Can't imagine what it'd do on high. Where in So Cal do you get down to 30 in the water?

The only thing I can help is that the fuel can/bottle/container holds about 1 1/2 gallon.

My question is, what type of cookware does one use on the ceramic cooktop? We have an old coffepot, with a round bottom, and it takes forever to heat water in the morn. With the ceramic cooktop, do they sell special flat cookware? Does the copper bottom stuff stay flat enough to transfer heat quickly? Judy saw some with ribbed bottoms, is that any good?

Boris
Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

We corresponded several times last year when I was buying my CD-25 "Sea Skipper". My previous boat was Water Skipper a Corsair F-31 trimaran which is now in Valdez, Alaska. I've used the Wallas for 7 years in three different boats and also have one in my offroad RV. If you also plan to install a small microwave, you might consider locating the stove close to the inboard edge of the galley cabinet. Place the microwave on a 1"+ riser in the corner between the head window and cabin wall and the door will clear the heater top. I did this on Sea Skipper and it works great. I will take some pictures of my installation and post or send in the next couple of days. You want to order the Wallas 125DU from Carl @ Scan Marine - http://www.scanmarineusa.com/W125.htm

Recommended cookware - see the nesting set from the Galley Ware company http://www.galleyware.com/default.asp?pg=products&grp=65

Hank
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

My question is, what type of cookware does one use on the ceramic cooktop? We have an old coffepot, with a round bottom, and it takes forever to heat water in the morn. With the ceramic cooktop, do they sell special flat cookware? Does the copper bottom stuff stay flat enough to transfer heat quickly? Judy saw some with ribbed bottoms, is that any good?

Boris

Boris, with the number of home electric ceramic stovetops, there's no shortage of suitable flat bottom cookware. The ceramic is the same. We've had ceramic cooktops for over 15 years and the only out of the ordinary precaution is don't EVER drop something with high sugar content on the hot ceramic or you'll end up with a "forever" stain.

Look for pots (or Corningware) with bottoms that are as flat as possible. The ribbed bottoms will work but not as efficiently. Mary uses Corningware a lot as well as good old Costco fry pans.

If (when) stains/spills build up, I have a paint scraper that uses single edge razor blades and it works very effectively to get the bulk removed before switching to the ceramic specific cleaning/polishing product.

Don
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use a pan at all? Just lay them hen eggs and bacons directly on the cook top.... Shocked

'Course, it'd be a little bit messier with coffee..... Razz

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boris, Don and Hank,

Thanks, I think I have all the information I need until I talk to Scan. I want to ask about the sealing and non-sealing type of exhaust feedthru, and whether they recommend the exhaust only or combo pipes (unclear on Wallas site); and what height the stove should be minimum above the exhaust exit point on the hull.

Hank, thanks for the links, funny, Scan Marine has different models on their web site than Wallas does. I've been going by the Wallas site as the golden standard, think I was wrong cause Roger (Fishtales) has about an 8 mo old Wallas and it's a model 125 also; Wallas shows a model 85 only. Wallas should hire a web maintenance person for a few hours and match up their models with their other links within their site. Oh well, maybe they build stoves/heaters better than their web skills...

Boris, you're right, it generally doesn't get down to 30 here in So. Cal., especially on the ocean, but I plan to go to the Delta Extravaganza for 3rd time, gets cold up there sometimes. Plus may be heading to Alaska, either this year or next.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: