The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mae C dead in the water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Mae C dead in the water Reply with quote

Took the boat dogs and first mate on an afternoon cruise a couple days ago. Found myself on a channel to Davis Bayou Gulf Islands Seashore. Puttered up at no wake speed to the boat docks and made ready to turn around back to gulf. The Suzuki 150 stalled and refused to restart. Drifted to the dock and removed the cover. The would turn over once the the starter whined. Past couple days when I try to start it, I get 1 vroom, then the starter sound.

Last January because the water telltale wasnt emmiting I put things up it to clear it, the changed anodes, sparkplugs, oil engine and lower, fuel filter, impeller kit. I tested the engine after all the repairs, it ran well on muffs for a good 20 min. Still no pee water.

Engine still wont start. I replaced the water separator filter and bowl, the fuel line to the squeeze bulb, the squeeze bulb, new clamps al to try and insure no air was creeping into the fuel system.

The tow boat guy spoke to me on the phone, and a coastie that was boating with his family I met at the dock, both suggested a fuel problem. A counter guy at Kens Marine suggested the fuel pump.

I'm still scratching my head. Any Ideas form the collective?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mae C dead in the water Reply with quote

Storm Dog wrote:
Took the boat dogs and first mate on an afternoon cruise a couple days ago. Found myself on a channel to Davis Bayou Gulf Islands Seashore. Puttered up at no wake speed to the boat docks and made ready to turn around back to gulf. The Suzuki 150 stalled and refused to restart. Drifted to the dock and removed the cover. The would turn over once the the starter whined. Past couple days when I try to start it, I get 1 vroom, then the starter sound.

Last January because the water telltale wasnt emmiting I put things up it to clear it, the changed anodes, sparkplugs, oil engine and lower, fuel filter, impeller kit. I tested the engine after all the repairs, it ran well on muffs for a good 20 min. Still no pee water.

Engine still wont start. I replaced the water separator filter and bowl, the fuel line to the squeeze bulb, the squeeze bulb, new clamps al to try and insure no air was creeping into the fuel system.

The tow boat guy spoke to me on the phone, and a coastie that was boating with his family I met at the dock, both suggested a fuel problem. A counter guy at Kens Marine suggested the fuel pump.

I don't know about the Suzuki, but my Honda has two fuel pumps. A low pressure one to get fuel from the tank and a high pressure one for the fuel injection. Need to see if there is high pressure fuel at the injector.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The honest answer? It could be a lot of things, so you're going to have to narrow this down. And I think the telltale not emitting water probably has nothing to do with your no start condition if the engine was not overheating as they get plugged up all the time with crap. If the thing was overheating, that complicates things a bit. Some questions:

1.) Have you verified that you have adequate fuel pressure at the rail? Does it even have a fuel rail at all and instead has 4 carbs?

2.) Have you verified that the engine has spark? Is it trying to spring to life? Or is it just dead as a doornail?

3.) Have you verified that the engine has compression?

4.) Then, based on your description, I ponder if the starter is working correctly. Does the engine spin freely and sound normal as you are attempting to start it?

If the answer to any of things is that you don't know, then you are shooting in the dark. Now I doubt that a good running engine suddenly loses compression, but it does happen. Timing components do break. The modules that control that control the high voltage spark side of things do fail. And just like in your car, fuel pumps can fail.

I hope this helps, you get to the bottom of it, and it is an easy fix. Let us know what you find.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2007 Suzuki 150 is a fuel injected engine. There are also secondary filters, including a water separator on the back of the engine--be sure that that is not full of water. Is the fuel bulb full or collapsed? If full, can you pump it and get the engine to run? Is the tank vent clear--if still not sure, loosen one of the two deck fills, the 100 gallon fuel tank can fill from either side...and opening the deck fill should eliminate the possibility of two locked fuel vents...

Fuel obstruction can be anything from debris on the pickup tube to a bad anti siphon valve on top of the tank, to obstruction at the fuel filter or water in the fuel.

It is good practice to check the fuel filter before you start out each day. If there is a clear plastic bowl at the bottom of the filter, then you may see a water/fuel interphase line. I like to drain an oz of fuel out and look at it in a clear container, to see if there is any water in the fuel.

Spark is fairly easy to check for--Pull the plugs for a visual to see if one is learn, has excessive build up etc. You can pull the plug, and then short the metal body to ground and crank the engine looking for spark.

You will see of the fuel pumps are working by taking the hose off, or getting air in the fuel water separator, as it fills back up with fuel after being emptied.

These are the simple things.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The would turn over once the the starter whined. Past couple days when I try to start it, I get 1 vroom, then the starter sound.

Can you expound on this a bit more. I'm not sure what you mean. Is the starter turning the motor over, but the motor won't start, or is the starter not engaging the motor? If the starter is turning the motor over, but the motor wont' start, is there any chanch you accidently pulled the kill switch lanyard or otherwise engaged the kill switch? If the starter is working correctly, another possibility is that the fuel system is getting air in it. A cracked inline fuel filter, cracked hose, etc.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with all above but here are my thoughts in general

Fuel, spark and air run a motor.

So start as close to the carbs or injectors as you can and pull off the fuel line to see if you got fuel. If you don't work you way o the tank on fitting at a time.

Spark in easy to check and check every plug on at a time. I had one plug that was not working on a 50hp Evinrude. Each plug has its own ignitor. One was not working but if I switch it with one of the others it ran but poorly.

Air should not be a problem unless a rat builds a nest in the air cleaner lie they did on my lawn mower, but that would have been a problem at the ramp not haft way thru the day.

As for the water flow out need to get that figured out. could be a bad impeller. could be dry salt or bugs.

"Past couple days when I try to start it, I get 1 vroom, then the starter sound." Is your starter not disengaging? Is the plunger stuck? make sure its retracting. Small hammer tapped on the side of the starter is a place to start for that.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Air should not be a problem unless a rat builds a nest in the air cleaner lie they did on my lawn mower, but that would have been a problem at the ramp not haft way thru the day.

You never know. I had a small hairline crack in my kickers inline fuel filter. kicker was also plumbed into my main fuel filter that both it and the main ran off of. My main was acting up, not running well, sometimes not starting until I found that leak in the kickers inline fuel filter. Replaced it, and all good. This happend on the second day on Lake Powell. For whatever reason, the crack happened during the day. Perhaps the heat...
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mae C dead in the water Reply with quote

Storm Dog wrote:

White wire that powers the E.C.M. connected to a CLEAN positive batt. post? Fuse in said white wire good? Is the starter cranking the engine until you release the key?
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the quick easy test first, check your battery voltage while cranking. Fuel injected, computer controlled engines will crank over but not start if the computer doesn't see a threshold voltage.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other item I did not mention, is a manual for the outboard. You can start with the Seloc or Clymer Manual for all outboards from 2.5 to 150 hp up to year 2007. That is going to cost about $60 these days. (Mine was about $35 in 2009). For about $35 more you can get the full factory service manual for the 150. You may luck out and find parts of the factory Service manual on line--for example I found the part of the FSM dealing with the lower unit, water pump, and changing gears bearings and seals in the lower housing. The Seloc manual is often enough to make the diagnosis. Unfortunately when you get into some parts of the tear down, some special tools may be necessary. I always carry one of these manuals when on longer trips--since we are more likely to have an issue remotely from where a dealer's service expertise is just not available.

Also when I had my 140 rewired by moonlighting factory service trained mechanic from a nearby dealer, he pointed out a fuse which can get corrosion or go bad which was part of the wiring harness we replaced, and not in the engine housing, which will shut down the motor--as I understood it was for over voltage. I don't recollect a similar fuse on the 150's--but a pretty good chance there is one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: