The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Repowering my 22 with twin 60’s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finally2

City/Region: Los Osos
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finally2
Photos: Finally2
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Repowering my 22 with twin 60’s Reply with quote

Hey yall! The repower is happening! I have the option of Yamaha 60’s high thrust with a weight of 262 and displacement of 996cc OR twin tohatsu 60’s with a weight of 213 and displacement of 866cc. The Yamaha is on sale so it’s the same price as the tohatsu so the money is the same. I’m leaning tohatsu to save the stern weight. I do tow the kids on tubes at the lake and that extra power of the Yamahas obviously is appealing.

Am I crazy for think saving that hundred pounds wouldn’t also help getting out of the hole maybe just as much? Is the tohatsu being a 3 cylinder something I should be concerned about?

It’s a big decision and I’m nervous but she is already stern heavy with my 2003 Yamaha 50’s I have on it. So to bump from 50’s to 60’s and actually decrease my stern weight sounds awfully appealing

Thanks everybody!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read this thread.
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=27697

Yamaha makes a great motor, but the 60hp Yamaha was over my desired weight limit & the 60 hp Tohatsu not available, when I repowered in 2019 from 40 hp Hondas. My settled on Honda 60’s, have worked out well for me, but very interested in how the Tohatsu compares as it would have been my first choice, though I was concerned it’s hp, up from the 40hp block, 20 more hp, would deliver that extra hp at a rpm range, I’m comfortable running. For sure, after 550 hrs and five years, the Honda 60’s do.

Jay

Finally2

City/Region: Los Osos
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Finally2
Photos: Finally2
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I read it at least 5 times haha. I was hoping somebody out there may of went the tohatsu 60 route but it looks like I’ll be the first. I know Yamahas are great. But 100lbs is a lot. My boat is quite stern heavy with my current 50’s. I’ve only had them 5 years but they are 2003’s and have been nothing but trouble.

I’m afraid I’ll never be able to look back there and see a Yamaha outboard without thinking about my unreliable experiences the last 5 years. I’m just hoping the tohatsus being light and 3 cylinders isn’t gonna be a regret.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with 3 cylinders as they have been used very successfully for years and years on boat outboards. And 60 hp from the 53 cubic inch displacement the Tohatsu isn't pushing the limits as far as reliability goes either. If you look, the specs say the max rpm is 6k, so they are not cheating and just spinning it faster to get the hp like some builders do. This means that power came from adding efficiency in the design with compression, cam profile choice, cylinder head design, and probably tuning the intake and exhaust. And they may have some more tricks up their sleeve that I am unware of as well. I suspect you will be very happy with them hanging off the back of your boat. I like the fact that they are light and don't needlessly drink a bunch of fuel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: