View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Installing Webasto AT 2000 STC Cabin Heater in CD-25 Reply with quote

Well……..after a 8 1/2 year love / hate relationship with my Walllas 800 T single burner kerosene heater I decided to remove it. Seemed that every 2 years I had to box it up and send it off for repairs. Decided to go with a Webasto heater. My friend Colby has had two in different boats and has been pleased.

Went to Amazon and saw kits for sale for about $1,050. Went to camper supply stores on line and the price was $1,500 to $1,800 bucks. Ouch!
Off to YouTube for an education. Seems that there are two versions. The one on Amazon was for the European market and made in Russia with no US warranty. The seller said that they would be available to answer questions on the unit. Parts for the North American version may or may not work on them

The North American version (made in Germany)is covered by a 2 year warranty. Now…..do I spend a LOT more for one? Colby Smith to the rescue! He sent me a copy of the receipt on his last one that he purchased from Cummins engines on line site.

Can’t say everything has gone up in price anymore. They had the Webasto AT 2000 STC heater kit with smart temp 3.0 Bluetooth controller for $963.20.
Part number 5013913A (North American Part)

There are other parts like thru hull and fuel tank needed but I already had them. Fired right up and so far happy with the unit but the big test will be at Isle Royal NP this summer. Yes it gets cold up on Lake Superior.

I know others have installed inexpensive China heaters and that’s OK. I just don’t like to buy Chinese.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will really like the Wabatso. I installed one in Mistaya a few years ago and they really help as part of your HVAC system on the boat. I boat mostly the Canadian side of the PNW and I have a habit of attracting bad weather. It certainly contributes to a more comfortable cruising experience. I liked the Wabatso in my boat so much that I also installed one in my truck camper. It is so much nicer than the propane heater, it is much quieter and drains the battery less. In my opinion spending the money on German quality is worth it, especially when the other option is a cheap Made in China knock off. Peace of mind and safety is worth the extra bucks sometime.

Enjoy

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
AkDory22

City/Region: Girdwood
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: No Name
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are about to install a forced air heater in our 22 Cruiser this spring so we appreciate the mention of that vendor and will check it out. That is likely one of the better deals on a US sold unit. They are up to $2k at local dealers here.

I have a Webasto from a Russian Supplier that was purchased online for about $700 4 years ago. Not sure if it’s the same site you mention but they did provide good service and international shipping tracking.

The unit was installed in our truck camper to replace a failed Chinese heater and the Russian Webasto works great still and has ran consistently past the warranty period since install. The heater is exactly the same as a German Webasto but the instructions where in Russian so we had to google an English one. And as mentioned no warranty but all parts are compatible.

I’d like to get German Webasto orESpar for under $1000 for our 22. Also looking for recommendations on installation locations for the 22. We have done the site search and most install under the helm seat or under the galley but we would like to get hot air to the windshield for defog and heat the vberth.

Seems the Chinese heaters have tons of variability in performance/ reliability. There are some great CDH Facebook groups if folks are wondering about better models/ brands. Even HomeDepo/ Lowe’s on line sell some models now.

I still think the German US distributed brands are worth the extra money for reliability.

Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also looking for recommendations on installation locations for the 22. We have done the site search and most install under the helm seat or under the galley but we would like to get hot air to the windshield for defog and heat the vberth.

My Wabasto is installed under the galley next to the sink. The heat comes out mid cabin under the galley. I did install a air return in the v-berth which draws warm air via a flexible hose near the anchor locker. It does not heat the berth area, but pulls warm air in there and removes some of the moisture in the area. For fuel I modified a fuel tank out of a 10 litre red gas can with the pick-up tube coming in through the filler cap. There is also a breather tube to prevent an air lock. For the exhaust I bought an exhaust pipe through hull designed for a Wallace heater stove.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any.
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Wabasto on Catch 22 a couple years ago. It has worked great. I installed a 3 gallon tank that I only fill once a year, if that. I have three ports in the cabin and ran two ports through the aft bulkhead to heat the cockpit when our canvas is deployed. I have been really pleased with how well it can heat the entire boat.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did install a air return in the v-berth which draws warm air via a flexible hose near the anchor locker.

Peter, I think I like that idea of installing a return line in the V-Berth. I currently have nothing on the heater air intake. It just draws cabin air from under the sink at the Webasto heater. I'm not sure I would want that much heat going up in the V-berth, but I wonder if I could run a small intake vent, the same size as the fresh air intake for the burner, mixed in with the 3" intake vent? How did you do yours? Colby
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well……..after a 8 1/2 year love / hate relationship with my Walllas 800 T single burner kerosene heater I decided to remove it. Seemed that every 2 years I had to box it up and send it off for repairs. Decided to go with a Webasto heater. My friend Colby has had two in different boats and has been pleased.

Tom, I'm pretty sure you are going to like the Webasto, especially with the Smartemp controller. I found it doesn't do quite as a good of a job on the 25 as it did on my 22. But of course the 25 has a lot more interior space. However, while I could get my 22 up to 60 degrees in the cabin with an outside air temp of around 13, on the 25, to get the inside to 60, it can't be much less than freezing (32) outside. But having the Webasto in the 22, and now the 25, really made me a whimp for wanting it warm inside! Mr. Green
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Peter, I think I like that idea of installing a return line in the V-Berth. I currently have nothing on the heater air intake. It just draws cabin air from under the sink at the Webasto heater. I'm not sure I would want that much heat going up in the V-berth, but I wonder if I could run a small intake vent, the same size as the fresh air intake for the burner, mixed in with the 3" intake vent? How did you do yours? Colby

I used black plumbing pipe fittings to make my connections for the air return. These were attached to the heater with a couple of set screws so as to be easily removed. I used a few fittings to make a u-turn and then attached a 2" hose that I had from a pump that I had here on the farm. It is about the same size as a vacuum cleaner hose. This was about the biggest hose I could fit without drilling holes in the cable run next to the helm. I zip tied this to the cables and above the anchor locker I did a u-turn in the hose to draw the air in. I didn't want a lot of heat in the berth area as I like to sleep cool, but this area is also prone to a lot of moisture build up. I think this system along with other changes in the HVAC including insulation, a solar vent and synthetic bedding instead of cotton has made some positive changes in the humidity and comfort of the boat especially in bad weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: