The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window washers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Window washers Reply with quote

Would they be useful? I'm ordering wiper components for my 22" Cruiser restoration and will be buying the same setup the factory puts in the new models. I have the option of adding window washing capability and the cost is minimal compared to the entire wiper system. There would be a small pump and washer fluid reservoir somewhere, plumbed to nozzles that squirt on to the windows.

Having no experience with a boat with a closed cabin and windows before, would this be useful in the PNW? Is salt spray on the windows much of a problem?

Reelin2

City/Region: Ferndale
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
Photos: Reelin2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great addition.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Window washers Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
Would they be useful? I'm ordering wiper components for my 22" Cruiser restoration and will be buying the same setup the factory puts in the new models. I have the option of adding window washing capability and the cost is minimal compared to the entire wiper system. There would be a small pump and washer fluid reservoir somewhere, plumbed to nozzles that squirt on to the windows.

Having no experience with a boat with a closed cabin and windows before, would this be useful in the PNW? Is salt spray on the windows much of a problem?

Every single time there is a crosswind blowing light ocean mist onto the windshield I wish had some. And that is pretty frequently. Sometimes I'm so desperate I intentionally steer into some spray so it gets clean. The only thing that has stopped me from doing it was where the heck do you put the reservoir that is not in a spot already taken for something else?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Window washers Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
... The only thing that has stopped me from doing it was where the heck do you put the reservoir that is not in a spot already taken for something else?

I'd put one at the back (most forward part) of the overhead shelf. It could also go at the back of one of the V-berth compartments. One of those narrow tanks that come with Chinese diesel heaters would work well there.
Jim from New York

City/Region: Kings Park
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: MarTika
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking of adding something also Paul. I found some add on washer kits in a search on amazon

12V Universal Auto Washer Pump Bag Window Washer Window Cleaning https://a.co/d/hjOQ97i

Better for me might be adding to the sink pump another hose that has a pressure on off control like the sink faucet and run spray nozzles (they sell them also) up on the outside of the glass. Sure would be nice to easily clean windows when need . Has anybody here done anything along these lines ?
Jim
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

I've found there are two types of washer sprayers - bulkhead mount and wiper arm mount. I think I prefer bulkhead mount so I can keep the sprayer system separate from the actual wiper system. Also, I've decided not to go with the factory wiper setup from AM Equipment because those are single speed motors only. I like Ongaro's 2-speed motor and their controller which delivers intermittent wiping as well as hi and lo speeds. Marinco has a similar system, but online comments tend to favor Ongaro over Marinco for build quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: