The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Load Rite trailer for CD22 - GVWR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSwede

State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Load Rite trailer for CD22 - GVWR? Reply with quote

I just bought a 1999 C-Dory 22, came with a Load Rite tandem axle trailer that appears to be the same vintage as the boat. The VIN sticker is gone, and I need to know the GVWR to register the trailer with the state (Minnesota). Anybody happen to have that little piece of data?

A trailer rated over 6500 lbs is supposed to be titled, which is going to be difficult without a VIN anyway... maybe I'll just tell the registrar it is under that. Scarcely matters to anybody anyway.
Flashyfish

City/Region: Windsor
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Kraken
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at the sidewall on the tire and see what the maximum weight rating is and multiply by 4, that should get you in the ballpark.

If the tires and whees are 5 lug, each axle is probably rated at 3500 pounds.

I would not worry too much
BigSwede

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll probably just wing it at the DMV. As long as I can get a license plate for the trailer I am good.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt it is 6500 pounds. Lots of them with the small tires and 5 lug axles were around 4500 ish. No question it was the tires holding them back on weight rating. Of course, there is no way of knowing anything for sure without taking measurements and doing some research. But, one indicator is generally the frame size. The lightest rated ones had 3"x 4" frames, which I think was too light. The next step up had 3" x 5" ones. I doubt you would see a 3" x 6" frame holding a 22....but you never know. There are probably a few out there....overkill in my opinion.
BigSwede

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the PO and learned something significant - the trailer was originally single axle, but he converted it to double axle. So the VIN was associated with a fairly light GVWR I would imagine... if we can just find it. He is going to try his DMV and see if he can dredge up the old VIN.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSwede wrote:
I talked to the PO and learned something significant - the trailer was originally single axle, but he converted it to double axle. So the VIN was associated with a fairly light GVWR I would imagine... if we can just find it. He is going to try his DMV and see if he can dredge up the old VIN.

I used to work in an RV dealership that serviced all types of trailers. I have seen quite a few single axle trailers with the 3" x 5" frame and have a 5-6k axle under them. Most of them, if not all of them, were EZ Loaders, but I lived in area where EZ Loader was king. They had identical frames to the tandems, but instead of two small axles, they had one big stout one. I have no idea why they did this, maybe the dealers were asking for it. There were a perfect candidate for a tandem conversion since you could just order everything from EZ loader and bolt it on. I think their rated load carrying capacity was around 4.2k pounds, which is enough for CD 22, but they nearly always had a 19-21 foot bayliner on them. Anyway, your trailer situation might be similar.
BigSwede

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO was able to get the trailer registration with the old VIN from his DMV, so here's hoping that will satisfy my DMV.
BigSwede

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the trailer registered today. I lucked out and got a DMV clerk that didn't understand GVWR. She asked me what the trailer weighs empty, and I hazarded a WAG of 1000 lbs. Also, the trailer had not been titled in Michigan. So she then gave me a license sticker for the trailer tongue instead of a license plate, which should be for trailers under 3000 lbs GVWR.

Seeing as this was my 5th trip to the DMV, I didn't argue. And I doubt anyone will ever care.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they will one day.

The trailer on my boat had been titled twice in VA. Never a problem. I brought it to MI and registered it at the SOS (Secretary of State). A while later I got a letter from the SOS saying I had to bring the trailer to the nearest SOS office. Took it there and they said there was a problem with the VIN, too many digits. They inspected it and got the correct VIN. Though a title is not required in MI for the trailer, they gave me one anyway that has the correct VIN on it.

Point is that it took about 14 years for someone to notice that there was a problem with the title from VA.
BigSwede

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

Point is that it took about 14 years for someone to notice that there was a problem with the title from VA.

Hah! in 14 years I'll be ready to sell it on, I'm guessing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: