View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: something other than wood that holds screws well Reply with quote

I want to imbed (in fiberglass) some stringers that run the length of the floor of my 22' Cruiser, to serve as a level mounting suface to screw down cabinets. Wood holds screws well, but I want somethign that won't rot. I've read here that the plastic lumber at Home Depot holds screws well, but is not very dimensionally stable with changes in temperature, compared to other materials. I'm concerned about that because the interior temp (storage and in use) can obvioulsly wary from near zero to over 100F.

Any other suggestions for a material that won't rot, is relatively dimensionally stable with temp swings, and holds screws well? Thank you!

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.newjerseywindow.com/blog/why-a-fiberglass-door-is-better-for-security-than-wood/#:~:text=Wiggling%20or%20pulling%20at%20a,screw%2Dholding%20power%20of%20wood.

Quote:
Wiggling or pulling at a screw in wood can cause the surrounding material to soften and splinter, making it easier to remove the screw and detach the wood from the hinges. But fiberglass doesn't splinter, and it actually has twice the screw-holding power of wood.

Aye.
Grandpa always said, "Tighter is better."

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: something other than wood that holds screws well Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
I want to imbed (in fiberglass) some stringers that run the length of the floor of my 22' Cruiser, to serve as a level mounting suface to screw down cabinets. Wood holds screws well, but I want somethign that won't rot. I've read here that the plastic lumber at Home Depot holds screws well, but is not very dimensionally stable with changes in temperature, compared to other materials. I'm concerned about that because the interior temp (storage and in use) can obvioulsly wary from near zero to over 100F.

Any other suggestions for a material that won't rot, is relatively dimensionally stable with temp swings, and holds screws well? Thank you!

I have used the PVC lumber from HD. It is not something I would use for structures. IME it does not hold screws that well. It is better for it to be screwed/nailed to something. Yes, you have to make allowances for expansion and contraction over longer runs. Something like 3/8" over 12' if I remember correctly. Advantage to the PVC is that it is waterproof out of the box and easily worked.
Tom Hruby

City/Region: Lacey
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2024
Photos: Tom Hruby
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered pressure treated wood? It is not pretty, but since you will be covering it with fiberglass, that should not be an issue. Another option might be to use square aluminum tubing ( https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/aluminum-pipe ) and attach the cabinets with self tapping screws. In any case I would use epoxy rather than polyester resin with the glass because that will give you a better bond. As mentioned above, the plastics (pvc, hdpe, etc) have a very large coefficient of thermal expansion. That means that screws will tend to work in their holes, or the plastic will buckle and lift up your cabinets. Also none of the plastics will have a good bond with glass, epoxy, or polyester resin.
Reelin2

City/Region: Ferndale
C-Dory Year: 1990
Photos: Reelin2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think you are overthinking it. Done right, CDX or Marine ply, coated in epoxy will outlast you. If you are stuck on composite you could do coosa, but you will need to build up a glass layer to screw to or you could thru bolt some brackets. The only rot I’ve experienced on interior wood was due to negligence. A failed bilge system, leaking water tank or fill, leaking windows, seal, etc. that is left in disrepair for an extended period.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Trex decking (or equivalent). This is probably better and is weatherproof. The disadvantage is that it is relatively heavy and expensive compared to wood. I used it for a raised platform over the sump (even with the cockpit floor) in between the tanks on my 22. This is an area that frequently gets wet.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use fiberglass and epoxy resin to tab the wood into the existing glass? This also get rid of the problematic zinc plated steel "L" brackets. If for some crazy reason you need to remove the cabinet work later, just cut the tab.

Another option is to either use Weld Mount studs on the inner surface of the hull or "T" nuts embedded into fiberglass. You can also put an epoxy pot with an embedded wax or silicone coated threaded object the same thread as bolt or screw you plan to use. If you must encapsulate anything it would be Coosa board as noted by Reeling2.

The last item I would use is probably wood or wood substitute encapsulated in fiberglass. When all of those L brackets are screwed into the floor, they are not holding because of the balsa core, they are holding because of the fiberglass.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Azek to make some simple cabinetry. It's PVC, screws and glues, floats, and is relatively inexpensive. In my photo album under Modifications-Cabinetry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why make 'must do (gotta be the best)' modifications thinking 'long term' when
you will most likely either sell the boat (very common) in the shorter term or
your 'must do' modification(s) will out live you (x 2 - 3, almost assured)? Do you
have a grandchild that will benefit from your efforts?

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Keep it in perspective."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: