Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdoryfan

City/Region: New England
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: cdoryfan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: C-Dory 22 Cruiser Interior Rebuild Reply with quote

Hi all, firstly excited for my first post to what seems like a fantastic community.

I have a C-Dory 22 Cruiser which has a bit of rot at the bottom of the seat boxes on the port side. My plan is to take them out and use the old panels as templates for new ones. A couple of questions arose

1) it looks like original build is plywood with a white exterior that doesn't seem to be paint but looks to thin to be something like formica, could someone advise what it is?

2) Option for rebuild
a) Plywood and formica (in my mind pros are cost, similar to original build, and medium weight)
b) Starboard (pros: easy to care for, don't mind if sits in water, cons: HEAVY on both wallet and boat)
c) 3/4 in PVC from home-depot (the cheapo in me likes this but I am worried about the structural integrity and lack of UV protection... even though it's inside
d) Laminate my own panels with divinycell sheathed in fiberglass (pros is I am curious about the process and like combination of strength and weight, cons are it's unknown to me)
e) Any better options? I'm open and as it is non-structural willing to try something novel and exciting

Really appreciate your thoughts / comments in advance! Thanks all!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Depot PVC lumber is not that strong. It does not hold screws well. It is good enough for enclosing things, but you'd need some sort of frame for support.

Starboard has a noticeable coefficient of expansion. You need to allow for this if you use it. See the Starboard website for info. Depending on where you live an boat, the temperature swings in the cabin can be significant. In my boat the difference of temps in the cabin can vary by over 100 deg F between winter and summer storage.

You might look into Coosa Board. I don't know much about it, but I read about people using it in other boats for a variety of things. Might cost as much or more than Starboard though (but I don't know).
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on you getting a 22. I guess my question would be how did the cabinets bottoms get rotted? It may not be a big deal but I believe I would check the deck for signs of rotting also. Hopefully it is isolated to the cabinets only. No matter there is plenty of resources within this forum or fix anything.
If it's been broken someone in CBrats has posted a fix. Welcome to the group.

RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used laminate glued to marine plywood when I redid the interior of Beagle. I used the same glue you would use for a countertop.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1080&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wood panel product (Called cabinet backer when I purchased it) that is a ply wood panel that comes with a white laminate covering both sides and is used for the inside of cabinets mostly. I used this when I remodeled the kitchen of our house. The left over pieces worked great for making some modifications to our interior and blended in with the original cabinets nicely.

You will not find this product at Home Depot. I bought mine at a specialty lumber supplier, Edensaw Lumber in Port Townsend WA. It is a specialty product and may be hard to find. Check with cabinet shops in your area and they may know about where to get some or maybe even sell you some scraps.

If I could not find that I would go with a light weight marine plywood such as Okume and then epoxy cote it and paint . Petit Easy Poxy 3108 off white paint is a good choice and is very close to C-Dory white.

You could probably skip the epoxy cote and be fine with paint only in you interior since it should be dry most of the time. I have built several wood boats and I know that many wood boats have parts such as interiors that are painted wood with no epoxy cote and they last for many years if taken care of. I built a Simmons Sea Skiff that has the interior painted with no epoxy cote. it is 15 years old and still has original paint that is in very nice condition still. I do store it inside.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original was plywood coated with Melamine laminate on both sides. Someone here will come up with the proper spelling: I thought is was "Decaboard". There is a Decoboard, which is similar but not exactly the same. The current builders of C Dory had a source and should be able to put you in touch with them. Search of Decaboard does come up a number of times in the C Brat archives...

Lots of good information in previous posts above. I would check the hull, and fear if you have rot there, you are going to have a wet core. I have heard of the aft cabin bulkhead getting core rot (it was similar material in some early boats).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cdoryfan

City/Region: New England
State or Province: RI
Photos: cdoryfan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - you have proven to be quite the resource! Deck floor seems solid thankfully, will investigate all options but your comments collectively are leaning me towards the classic ply & formica option. Time to find some light ply and mix up some west systems.
NORO LIM

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thataway"]The original was plywood coated with Melamine laminate on both sides. Someone here will come up with the proper spelling: . . . /quote]

I believe many of the boats were built with "Decraguard." It wasn't used in either of my boats, so I may not know what I'm talking about! - (wouldn't be the first time Laughing )

Reelin2

City/Region: Ferndale
C-Dory Year: 1990
Photos: Reelin2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue, I was able to rescue the factory panels by cutting out the rot. It was repaired in a couple ways, some were repaired by cutting out the rotted areas then laminating marine ply to the old with gorilla glue. Other panels were repaired by applying penetrating epoxy then fair with poly filler. On a couple others I cut groves down the bottom edge, sealed with epoxy then filled with Gorilla glue. On all repairs they were all finished by fairing and painted, pretty easy and saved a ton of work and money.

There are some photos in my interior restoration album, good luck with your project.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple pieces of the wood with the white laminate from the factory when we bought our 25 in 2006. At that time, it was called Decraboard, and I haven't seen it anywhere since.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also Duraboard, Decraguard Decoboard (Deco Board-Deco-Board...Not sure which it is. Maybe later I'll do a comprehensive search--but the OP gets the idea. It also came with a printed teak pattern, which was on the outside of my 1993 C Dory 22. I put "Cetol" on it, which seemed to bring it back.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonJr wrote:
I redid the interior of Beagle...
Ron, I looked at your photos and have some questions. The photo entitled "New port side with forward facing seat" shows red upholstery and a bulkhead in front of the forward seat The photo entitled "New V-berth opening" shows green upholstery and the bulkhead to the V-berth removed, but no seat back.
I assume this was a progression of changes and the green upholstery was the end result. So my question is this... What kind of seating configuration is now on the port side, with the V-berth opened up. Can both seats be made to face forward? Can one of them also be made to face the table? In both instances, do both seates have backs? I'd love more details and pictures if that's the case. Thanks.

RonJr

Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron here. The green upholstery was the final upholstery color. The seat back can be snapped to the bulkhead, and used with the occupant facing the table, or it can rest on the table (folded in half) and be used forward facing. The seat box can slide back or forward and be secured with fasteners located inside the seat box. Both seats can face forward, or face the table.

I no longer own Beagle, and these are the only pictures I have. In every instance, with the interior remodel, I followed what other cbrats had previously done. None of these mods were original ideas.

Hope this helps.
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not cut out our bulkhead, but I did install these seats with a swivel and they are so much more comfortable than the original seats. Both traveling and while anchored. More pics in my album if you are interested.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonJr wrote:
Ron here. The green upholstery was the final upholstery color. The seat back can be snapped to the bulkhead...
Hope this helps.
Yes, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: