The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New to site; looking for info re Great Lakes C-Dory Owners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laila

City/Region: Chesterfield
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: New to site; looking for info re Great Lakes C-Dory Owners Reply with quote

I am brand new to the site. We are considering a 25 Cruiser but would like to talk with someone in the Great Lakes (Detroit area) that has C-Dory experience. Also, we will be going down to Florida (east coast) in February and would like to get in touch with C-Dory owner when we are in Florida.

Not sure if this is proper place to post so would greatly appreciate any guidance that could be give to me.

Thanks,
John
"Laila"
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pub!! John!! Yes you came to the right place, and glad you are here. There are definitely some C-Dory owners in the Great Lakes, and as for 25's there are several here at the C-Brat Pub! You should get lots of info from all of us here . I mention to everyone, that even if they are from afar, that the Seattle Boat Show is the place to do the definitive C-Dory research. You have the Factory Folks, Les from EQ, the premier authority on rigging and set ups, will be there along with whole bunch of owners and the 2 get -togethers will, be invaluble on enjoying C-Dorying! If you can make it it would be worth the time to invest. We have a thread here at the thread about the C-Brat Convention and Seattle Boat Show. Would love to have you join us.
Jim

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John -

Good to hear from you. Welcome!

There are several folks on board here who live on and around the Great Lakes. Also, we have lots of friends down Florida way, so you should be getting plenty of comments. I'm out on the west coast (Oregon), and while I have been to Wisconsin a few times, I can't offer you much help.

CD 25 Cruiser? Yep - that's a good choice. It's just a little bit longer and wider than the CD 22 Cruiser, but a whole bunch bigger. The CD 22 is also one that you should look at real close. It is very easy to manage, both on the trailer and the water, and most owners frequently singlehand the 22. Towing the 22 down the highway is almost effortless with a standard sized tow rig. The 25 tows well, also, but needs a lot more tow vehicle to handle it safely (and a lot more room to turn it around if I'm driving!).

We just moved to a CD25 from a CD22, and the difference inside the cabin is amazing. How they can get that much more room out of 10" additional width is beyond me. We were very pleased (and comfortable) inside the cabin of the 22, even for the nine days and nights we spent aboard last summer around the San Juan Islands. We haven't spent a great deal of time aboard our 25 yet, but the one weekend we did get left a good impression on us. There is a surprising amount of room inside, yet the boat is still small enough to be managable.

You can't go wrong either way. If the extra size of the 25 is not a problem for you on the trailer, then it will be that much more of a blessing for you in the water. And really, it isn't so much bigger than the 22 that the road handling and launching makes much of a difference. Our first tow with the CD 25 was behind a Jeep Cherokee. It wasn't any trouble, really, but it was kind of spooky knowing that the boat was so much heavier than the Jeep. The next trip on the highway was with a 1-ton pickup, and it was a snap.

You'll be hearing from some folks closer to you soon. Have fun studying up! And if you're in need of a mini-vacation, the Seattle Boat Show that Jim mentioned is the place to have one! You will be amazed at what you find with this group of folks.

And, I think you picked an excellent place to post your message!

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, John!

One suggestion - click on the Memberlist link above - you can peruse it to find C-Brat members who live near you. You can then send them a PM (Private Message - readable while signed in here) or an email.

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Cleveland and haven't ever seen another C-Dory! There are 3 or 4 on Lake St Clair, but I seem to be the only one on Lake Erie.

We have a 16 Cruiser and will probably move up the length chain as the years go by.

One feature I thought I'd miss on the 16 Cruiser (and 19 Angler) is the solid aft cabin bulkhead. On the Lower Lakes it's moot: when it gets that cold the water is starting to get hard and it't time to put the boat (and camper) in the barn. (Or tow 'em south!) The open cabin back makes the boat very unconfining. Lake Superior will be more like Pugent Sound for water temperature. Lake Erie gets as warm as our backyard pool.

22 Cruiser was the first boat I investigated. 16 Cruiser is serving as a trial horse and has done everything expected of her. I can "moor" her in the side yard and trailer her anywhere.

-- Chuck
Laila

City/Region: Chesterfield
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the quick replies. We live on lake St. Clair just north of Detroit. We presently have a 30 Dorado CC. It's a unique boat and we have enjoyed it for the last four years. We've cruised Erie, Huron, and Lake Michigan as well as the North Channel. We've been coming down in size from a 46' motoryacht and are still lookin for the "right boat". We want to start trailer boating but still be able to cruise and stay on board for at least a couple weeks at a time. The 25 looks like it could fill the bill but we are looking for the chance to do a sea trial and learn more about the cruising capabilities of the boat. Hence, the desire to meet someone in S. Florida and see if we can catch a ride or at least take a close look and speak with someone with hands-on experience.

We been following the web site and it sure looks like C-Dory owners really use and love their boats.

Thanks again for the replies and I hope to learn more as we proceed with our research.

Regards,
John
"Laila"
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laila,

You might contact:

Three Rivers Marine Inc.

1038 N. Suncoast Blvd. Crystal River, FLORIDA 34429

Phone: ( 1-800 668-5510 )

e-mail 3riversmarine@mindspring.com

I believe they've done a few CD25's (and I know a bunch of CD22's) and they may be able to help you out.

www.marinautboats.com
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John --

The C-Dory 25 will trailer fine behind a large V8 SUV like your Escalade.

-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: