View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishstix2

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: PiraC
Photos: PiraC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Fridge replace Reply with quote

We want to replace the original dorm size fridge that came with our TomCat. It is a Norcold. Its been fine except it no longer works on 12v and its looking a bit gnarly. Anyone have any experience with this? Brands to look for? What to stay away from? Any advice is appreciated.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the original fridge lasted almost 20 years, why not get a new Norcold? We have the same fridge and its still going strong.

The Norcold has a 110 ac to 12 dc converter, so if the thing runs on 110, I'd be puzzled as to why it wouldn't run on 12. Might check if its getting 12 vdc.

Boris
Fishstix2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:53 pm    Post subject: Norcold fridge replace Reply with quote

I have heard and read that Norcold is not nearly as good as they once were- if anything is, right?
I am just looking for any insight anyone might have thru their own experiences.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced mine with the newer version of the original Norcold. It's working fine.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick &Anita,

The model # label is inside. Model 740 was only 1.7 CF, now 2.0 CF. Model 751 is a significantly larger 2.7 CF. It requires cutting the cabinet opening inside the indentations a bit larger (wear a N95 mask and safety glasses). There is a lot of wasted space in the cabinet under the nav seat to port of the rear of the fridge. It has extremely poor ventilation, which killed my original 1.7 (another brand) fridge. The 751 vents out from the front, no additional vents needed. We changed the door to open from the left.

The good news if you like what you have is that the Danfoss compressor requires 12v DC, either from a good battery (say >12.5v) or 12V converted from 110V AC by the fridge circuits.

Mine has a glass fuse near the 12v plug on the rear of the fridge (which becomes dislodged pretty easily). There is yet another un-labelled fridge ATO fuse in the main helm fuse block under the helm. Pull the fridge out (4 screws) to check the 12v plug, fuse and holder and ck for 12v power. There is a low 12v voltage cut-off in the fridge so it shuts off when your battery gets too low. The cutoff on the old fridge was set at 11.5v, which is way too low for the almost state of the art (in 1905) FLA battery technology I prefer.

PS it’s good practice to pull the helm fuse when the boat is un-attended on shore power to prevent it from automatically switching to 12v and draining your batteries if the marina loses power during a storm, which is exactly when you need full batteries to run the bilge pumps.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/norcold-nr751-2-7cf-marine-refrigerator-black.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhomtBhDgARIsABcaYykUF0Qyivw41y9-_00NXRDZn0J1Sceps5NVi44vUzF6Ko-E0D1dFUEaAoVUEALw_wcB

https://defender.com/en_us/norcold-nr740-refrigerator-freezer?utm_id=1233653033123192&utm_campaign=590113489&utm_source=microsoft&utm_medium=paid&utm_content=77103444721431&msclkid=35b471644b2f1b5facec14c6b4c0b519&utm_term=4580702894360293#76=8960

After about eight years the 751 also got rusty and ‘gnarly’. We pulled it out, removed the door, did 5 minutes prep with sandpaper and masking. If you remove the door trim, you can pull out and reverse the door panel trim and use the ‘new’ side. I just sprayed the rusty side with Rustoleum SS paint + primer. For $7.33 if met EBSFCFC (Eileen’s Boat Standards for Cosmetics, Function and Cost) At 16 years I figure I can reverse the trim panel to the ‘new’ side and save yet another 1.2 Boat Units.

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/norcold-nr740-sc-dc-refrigerator-parts-list.pdf

This is an excellent time to add a grab handle that helps the nav person to stay on the seat in rough water. Also handy for heaving yourselves out of the bunk without pulling on the reversing fiberglass seatback support. Pro repair for us cracking that was $300. The 12 inch SS Sea Dog grab rail (matches others) was $19.

The only gripe we’ve had with this model is that the bottom large gasket seal on the non-hinge side tends to retract, allowing an air leak that results in heavy frosting. Even brand new ones in West Marine have this. Pull out the seal as needed and press the bottom of the door firmly closed to prevent this. PM or call for any questions.

Consider coming to the Hontoon Hoot Mar 5-7. Our cat is always lonely there!

Cheers!

John

Fishstix2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John and Eileen.

I remember meeting you guys when we came to our first ever Hontoon gathering after our TomCat purchase. Great to hear from you again. I will check those fuses as that just might be the issue. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with such good insight. And if that cures it I just might be able to spend the money for the $7.99 refurb kit— Eileen approved of course!

We have been dealing with covid shutdown B.S. right after our boat purchase, then Hurricane Ian wiped us out, and now family deaths and an elderly pooch who can no longer boat or travel with us, but soon, fingers crossed, we shall be able to cruise up there and rejoin the CBrats. Until then, we are still here in SW Fl so feel free to tie up at our dock or stop in for a quick visit.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
... There is a lot of wasted space in the cabinet under the nav seat to port of the rear of the fridge. It has extremely poor ventilation, which killed my original 1.7 (another brand) fridge. The 751 vents out from the front, no additional vents needed. ...

I added two vents and a thermostatically controlled muffin fan to ventilate the area behind my Norcold fridge where the fridge radiator is. The fan operates when the temp in the compartment exceeds 90 deg F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: