The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Replacement Hatch Covers ,Transom lazarette, 06 Venture 23.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinMc

City/Region: Venice
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Replacement Hatch Covers ,Transom lazarette, 06 Venture 23. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
After seeking advice from Doryland on replacement Hatch covers for my 06 Venture 23,I can offer the following.Although not the finest quality I decided to replace my old original leaking Bomag hatch covers with a set of new Bomags.The only reason to do so was the recommended rough cut out was the same dimension as the original factory dims.This made it a simple switch with no shimming or glassing in required. The new covers have two inset gaskets and hidden screws in the flange.The only complaint I have was the screw holes ,although close were not exactly duplicated,so I had to dowel the original holes and redrill. The flange does cover the old hole locations So I was able to caulk and set the covers in place. The new covers are available on line.The unit is as follows:BOMAR G7812---W. ACCESS HTH 8X12 BRITE WHITE.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced mine (same 06 Cape Cruiser), I don't think these were available, so I replaced the originals with the Imtra model.
I had to glass in some shims, etc. but it turned out nice, and the lazarettes are now dry. Yay!

These Bomars look a lot like the Imtras, with the top of the lid covering the hatch frame, unlike the quite useless originals that did not. Dry lazarettes are sure nice to have.... and with the cutout being the same as the originals, would be much easier to change out.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Rider wrote:
When I replaced mine (same 06 Cape Cruiser), I don't think these were available, so I replaced the originals with the Imtra model.
I had to glass in some shims, etc. but it turned out nice, and the lazarettes are now dry. Yay!

These Bomars look a lot like the Imtras, with the top of the lid covering the hatch frame, unlike the quite useless originals that did not. Dry lazarettes are sure nice to have.... and with the cutout being the same as the originals, would be much easier to change out.

On my '08 22 Cruiser I replaced original hatches with the Imtra 4000 ones. They fit well in the existing cutouts, no mods necessary. I think that the screw holes even lined up, but I can't remember for sure.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On my '08 22 Cruiser I replaced original hatches with the Imtra 4000 ones. They fit well in the existing cutouts, no mods necessary. I think that the screw holes even lined up, but I can't remember for sure.

I used the Imtra 4000 ones as well. I had some balsa rot around some of the old screw holes, caused by poor sealing from the factory so I had to auger that out and at the same time added some plywood shims to fill in the gap, then glassed.

They are a close fit on the 23, any larger and they would not have worked...

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we are on the subject, anyone have recommendations for hatch cover replacements for the 25 Cruiser, aft cockpit floor covers? Colby
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
When I was about to purchase a 25, I was surprised to see that the 25’s that I looked at, had deck hatches that flexed and leaked badly. My 25 Parker had one back aft on deck and I replaced it once and for all with a proper hatch to walk on, which was aluminum.
My 26 has no hatches aft, which I like even more…

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25 has terrible aft hatches. Here is how I fixed them: Fixing 25 hatches

Boris
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

Boris

Thanks Boris. That may well be my next project. They've gone up in price. Great Lakes Skipper has them priced at $170 now. I may go with Arctic White instead of Polar White, as the Arctic is only $140. I can paint the dang things for $60 for the two of them. (Heirloom White spray paint is pretty darn close, at least what I've used on other repairs. Hard to see the difference...)

Now that you've had them for over 5 years, are you still pretty happy with them? What about the fact they aren't on a regular hinge, and come completely off Colby
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Colby, I've got a couple touch ups to take care of and I'd like to know which brand of spray paint you use (different brands have slight difference in the same name color) also, do you use satin, semigloss or high gloss? Thanks,
Alain
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP wrote:
Hello Colby, I've got a couple touch ups to take care of and I'd like to know which brand of spray paint you use (different brands have slight difference in the same name color) also, do you use satin, semigloss or high gloss? Thanks,
Alain

I found this stuff matches very closely. By the time I blend it and buff it out, you can hardly tell the difference...Colby

jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

Boris

I did the same thing. However mine continued to leak from somewhere so I got fed up and bought the dry bilge system from its creator in Canada. Now they are selling the system on Amazon. The price was over $400 now they are $395 on Amazon. Have not had water in bilge since. Best thing I ever did
Water still leaks in from somewhere but it is quickly gotten rid of by the dry bilge system
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us have made a "dry bilge" system. The problem with the 25, or at least my 25, is that the bottom is somewhat rounded, and the lowest point when in the berth at night, tends to be in the forward part of the bilge under the fuel tank. That's where I've had water then leak in under the cabin bulkhead. I thought I had my leak completely fixed, after pulling the cockpit floor and the fuel tank, and then fiberglassing where the bulkhead met the hull. However, last summer while on the Cumberland River in some very heavy rain, I had the water in the cabin again. And yet again, it is coming in under the bulkhead, under the head floor. My best guess is that flexing of the hull on the trailer and in the waves, causes that fiberglass to break loose in that area, allowing for small cracks that the water can penetrate through. My next fix, next time I get in the mood to pull the floor and fuel tank, will be to clean that area up well, and then caulk with 5200! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: