The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New King trailer for CD25 (cost)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: New King trailer for CD25 (cost) Reply with quote

I'm going to have to replace my trailer. Now I have a King (and I live near their factory in Washington state). I've searched the forum for some current info but haven't yet found much that was helpful (I've searched the Inet too).

At the moment I'm just trying to get a ballpark cost figure for something like a new KBT7000. Anyone have some recent experience?

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI......

As I am calling around to get more data, I've been told that King Trailer is out of business.

Since King parts can still be had, I'm also being told that I can probably have a complete rebuild of my trailer (new axles, brakes, actuator, wiring, etc) for maybe $3500.

Someone also mentioned that prices for new good-quality trailers have gone way up in recent years. Apparently, the rule-of-thumb for a new trailer today is about $2 per pound of carrying capacity (egads....that's $16,000 for my 8000 pound CD25!).
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be some coming up brand new with the boat show in Feb.
Found this on Craigslist. Pretty comparable to the one we had with our first
CD 25.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bpo/d/granite-falls-galvanized-dual-axel-ez/7679630695.html

Defiance Marine in Bremerton had a bunch of new trailers last spring for sale.
I believe they were Venture brand.

Tuff Trailers in Ferndale:

https://www.tufftrailer.com/galvanized-boat-trailers

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, several of us east of the Rockies with 25s have gone with the Loadrite trailer, model LR-AB26T8400102LTB2. I paid $6558 for mine in November of 2020. It's an aluminum tandom axle trailer. That cost included EOH brakes, a spare tire carrier with regular rim, tire and hub and stainless steel hardware. That was from Enterprise Marine and RV. I did not pay shipping and picked it up at the factory in Pennsylvania. Currently that base trailer is listing for $7331. For comparison, the base trailer when I bought mine listed for $5320, so the extras I paid for added about $1200.
The trailer is rated to carry 8400 lbs. Here's a link to Enterprise.
https://www.boattrailers4sale.com/new-inventory?pgid=kipo25db-76818303-47f5-4d5a-b01a-74b4acaab847
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a loadrite as well with EOH brakes, I bought it off a company that flips boats from the east coast, they haul them across the country on new trailers and then sell them on craigslist.

Here is one bigger than you need but might be modified and some pricing as well for new.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bpo/d/port-gamble-2017-ezloader-trailer-fo/7696832443.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/d/bremerton-aluminum-beam-trailers/7695145678.html

Flashyfish

City/Region: Windsor
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Kraken
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: New trailer Reply with quote

I just bought a double axle all aluminum trailer from Kokopelli out of Arizona. They delivered it to California.
Fit my C Dory angler 19 perfectly.

I added stainless steel surge brakes and all stainless hardware. The brand new trailer was just under 10 grand.

Then California wanted their $850 for registration and use tax.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, thanks for the terrific info (as always). I've submitted a request for quote from Tuff Trailers....we'll see what the "bad" news is Laughing

FlashyFish, ouch. If it's $10k for a 19 foot, I can't imagine the cost for a 25 footer (maybe 4 times the load???). Before I started looking into this, I had no idea new trailers had gotten so expensive.
Tom Hruby

City/Region: Lacey
C-Dory Year: 2024
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Tom Hruby
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: new king trailer Reply with quote

I would suggest getting in touch with Michael at Northwest Marine Industries, the guys who now make C-dories. They arrange with Ez-loader for new trailers for all the boats they build (including the 25 ft. cruiser). I am having a 22ft cruiser built and they are charging me $7200 for a galvanized tandem trailer that fits the boat. Ez-loader is local and they are built in Maltby WA and headquartered in Woodinville.

I also used to have a King Trailer for my old 26ft. St. Pierre Dory and when that one needed to be replaced I got a Venture aluminum trailer for around $10,000 last year when I found out that King Trailers went out business because of COVID. There is a Venture dealer in Spanaway/Puyallup.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks for the tip. I will definitely contact C-Dory.

All, here's the quote I got from TuffTrailer. Note both the 7000 lbs and the 8300 lbs trailers are quoted along with some options. Looks like the $10,000 neighborhood is the magic number no matter what you need Sad Wink

12/19/2023 MTB8300SGLGalvanized 1 10,401.00
Welded Boat
Trailer comes
with the
following
standard
features;
26-30' Boat
length,
ST225/75R15D
Tire size, 2
Axle, 4 Bunks,
Spring
Suspension,
Surge Disc
Brakes Brake,
8" Beam

12/19/2023 Tuff Bunk **Check Screw 1 499.00 499.00T
height to
avoid hull
damage**

12/19/2023 MTB7000SG Galvanized 1 8,854.00 8,854.00T
Welded Boat Trailer comes with the following standard features; 23-27' Boat length, ST225/75R15E Tire size, 2 Axle, 2+2 Bunks, Spring Suspension, Surge Disc Brakes , 6" Beam

12/19/2023 Tuff Bunk Tuff Bunk 1 290.00 290.00T
Slides - **
Please Check
Screw Height
To Avoid
Damaging Boat
Hull **

12/19/2023 2 Post Sid2 Post Side 1 398.00 398.00T
Guides
24 lbs. each
guide

12/19/2023 Brakes EleElectrically 1 1,386.00 1,386.00T
Active
Hydraulic Disc
Brakes with
Patch Box

12/19/2023 ***Build PA 1 0.00 0.00T
non-refundable deposit of $1000 per trailer is needed to start the build process. If paid, it will reflect on the Estimate. Products do have an estimated 6-8 week build period, based on parts availability before shipment. This Quote is good for 2 weeks from the date of Issuance. Any credit card charge in excess of $1000 will be charged an additional 4.5% processing fee. Customer to supply trailer set-up and boat measurements prior to build.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with an 8300 lb capacity trailer. Better to have more capacity than borderline. Especially if the pricing is the same. Colby
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large capacity trailer is $1500 more.

I don't think I will be buying a new trailer.....just too much moola (I posted the quote just so other C-Brats could see some "typical" numbers). Don't know exactly what I'm going to do.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting here late but just did a break rebuild on my king three axle trailer this last summer. First I am so glad that king went under. They are built just across the hightway from my house and are shit trialers. shit service and just well shit, but I am trying to be far. They were worse then that.

Ok now that I have that out of my system. I replaced the hubs , bearings, disk, calipers and pads on all three axles with parts from e trailer, which is another company with out a fing soul, but they were far and away the cheapest priced. And I mean for the same brand items. They just had the parts for cheaper then anyone else. I called to make sure they had the parts in stock. IN STOCK as on the shelf. I was told they were by a supposed human being. I hope her boy freinds girl friend has the clap. I was told they would be at my door step on the following wednesday. So I went out side that day and put the boat and trailer on jack and tore all 6 wheels down to the spindles and took the rust off the swingarmsand started to re paint them in preparation for install. Wednesday comes and goes and guess what tom does not have in his hands???? So what does that leave me to hold??? cant catch fish with that.. So I call and ask where are my parts please? " oh we have not recieved them from the manufacturer yet" WHAT THE EVER LIVING F#CK? You said they where in your warehouse..... So i got lied to and when I called them on it, made them go listen to my call when I ordered them, all I got was " we are sorry that person made a mistake your parts will be here in 6 to 9 WEEKS!!!!! " When I asked what they were going to do about it i was told I could cancal my order if I liked but no discount for lying to me...... I called everyone and no one had the parts I needed in stock... Uaaaaaahhhh!!!!!
So for those that dont live here in the PNW June July and Augest is SALMON season. Not to mention crab and some shrimp. I got my parts in late September. Thank poseidon I have two boats, well three but ones a sled for the river, well now four but Iam rebuilding that one, well 5 but that one is a drift boat and I dont fish the river much .... The point is i could have missed the whole summer. And we did miss out on going to the san jauns all summer and still have not.

My point is make sure when you are getting your parts if you do a rebuild, which cost me about 3k total for all the brakes. I went with stainless calipers but steel disk. stainless dish was another 1k. If you have not replaced your steel break lines that the bums at eagle use to stainless you might want to do that. Mine rusted out a few years back and it cost me a hydro pump, almost 1.5k just for that.

I hope this helps you over come some of the pit falls of doing this job. PITA but cheaper then a new trailer. Have fun.. I need a drink..

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

Do you need a 5 lug or 6 lug axle?

Here is a link to use as comparison for brake parts.

https://www.kodiaktrailerbrakes.com/Kodiak-Slip-On-6-Lug-Disc-Brake-Kits-5200lb-12-inch_c_645.html

For brake lines, they sell replacement that are high pressure rubber lines, instead of steel.

Are you needing new axles? If you do, Six Roblees in Everett and Bellingham has a wide variety. I have a King Trailer. I believe they use Tiedown brand.
Here a link for a trailer supply place.

https://ameratrailparts.com/products/6000-lb-torsion-axle-w-vortex-hub-tde-brakes-v-bend-available-in-multiple-sizes-with-brakes?variant=40426339565634

Do bunks or rollers?

Good luck,

Patrick
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10000 is a lot of money. But some thoughts from someone that trailers 10,000 miles a year.

Your trailer supports your $xx,xxx investment. Regardless how far you transport your boat, a breakdown can cause damage to your boat or lost time on the water, and could leave you stranded on the road.

How much is your time worth to rebuild your trailer, and are you just putting bandaids on waiting for the next thing to break or seize up?

Are you happy with your current trailer? If the frame is still in good shape, how expensive will the repair or rebuild parts be and how well will they fit?

The trailer I bought my boat on was a Venture. Undersized at that and of lower build quality in my mind. The Loadrite I have now is much sturdier and I was fortunate to get it for under $7,000 three years ago.

Anyway,just my 2 cents worth. Colby
Tom Hruby

City/Region: Lacey
C-Dory Year: 2024
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Tom Hruby
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: new king trailer Reply with quote

I had my King trailer for 15 years and the reason I had to replace it was that I found that the steel beams were beginning to show metal fatigue. This is something no one has mentioned yet. The symptoms were increased "bouncing" as I went over bumps and a slight deformation in the main beams. I admit that my boat was near the weight limit for the trailer (4500 lbs on a 5000 lb rated trailer).
Also if you are rebuilding a trailer with torsion suspension I suggest checking the rubber insets that provide the suspension. Mine were starting to degrade after 5 years of sea water launchings. I ended up replacing them with an axle-free suspension from Timbren. These worked quite well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: