The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water in port sponson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red

City/Region: Kenai Pensula
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Assingear
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Water in port sponson Reply with quote

Howdy, long time boater, new to f/g Tom Cats. Question on water in starboard sponson. I live in Alaska and fish out of Homer. I run the boat about 25 miles to Port Graham and end up pumping about 40 to 50 gallons of water out of the port sponson. The starboard sponson is dry. Anchor, fish for a couple hours, check the bilge and both dry. Run back to Homer and have to pump the port sponson again. I see no signs of cracks, I’ve patched anywhere I could possibly think of, still the problem continues. Any ideas would be appreciated. Boat is in storage until spring. Just thinking ahead.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh or salt water? Check all thru hulls (including transducers), any fasteners on the transom which might have caused a leak. Do you have a bait well? The normal anchor locker is in the center, but is it possible that someone had put a deck pipe or drain over a hull.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Captain Starbucks

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Captain Starbucks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it's the bait well pickup. Mine blasts water into the bait well at speed but nothing static. Probably has a leaky line. It's on the port side sponson. If your boat is on a trailer, put some speed tape over the pickup.
1996 20' Wooldridge Xtra Plus - Sold 2012
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was a leaky water tank but 40 gallons is way more than your water tank holds. I also had issues with water in the forward port sponson, which in my boat has a bulkhead and can't be pumped out by the aft bilge. That issue was from the anchor locker not draining overboard but into the spoon. Once I glassed in the bottom of the anchor locker and repositioned the drain hole it cured the problem.

My only other thought would be a gap behind the rub rail. Either way 40 gallons is a LOT of water.

A start would be to figure out if you are getting water in the boat while at anchor/ dock, i.e. not moving, or only while underway.

I'll be interested in what you find out,
James

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2003 24" TomCat that leaked water through the baitwell drain hole. It was drilled oversize and would inject water at speed into the port sponson. The leak was between the laminations of the fiberglass and not visible from the top or bottom.

In fact the leak was so bad and impossible to find, that the factory (Reynolds C-Dory) took my boat back and gave me 100% of my purchase price back as a credit on a new 2006 255 TomCat. I got the 5th TomCat built in December 2005 and had it for 16 years.

The factory was eventually able to figure out where the leak was and fix it. I don't know where the boat ended up. I can feel your pain.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent:

That makes perfect sense to me and can see that totally happening. But, in my 2003 the baitwell is totally sealed from the spoons. No way for water to drain into the spoons. Drain at the bottom of the baitwell drains out under the boat between the spoons. I installed a 13 gallon bait tank that drains through the closest deck scupper and use the factory baitwell for storage. Only getting water in the port spoon should help Red narrow things down.

Red, my other thought is the raw water intake, which on my boat is in the starboard spoon. From the factory it was just plastered with 5200 and the backing nut. Years later I replaced the seacock attached to it and took the time to remove the intake and put in a proper backing plate. All the for naught in the end because when I removed my marine head I took out the black water tank and replaced it with a second fresh water tank. Since then we rarely run out of water even using it as a washdown so the seacock remains closed. If I ever do any hull work I've been thinking I'll just remove it completely.

James
Red

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply’s guys, my apologies for the slow response. I thought I would get notice in my email and didn’t think anyone read my post. Any way the water in the port sponson has to be salt water as my fresh water tank is in the starboard sponson. Anchor well, I don’t seem to get any water to speak of as I took the Lewmar off and mounted a Lone Star drum winch above deck. All I see is drain holes coming out of the exterior of the hull. The fish well is in the center aft and drains out under the boat. I haven’t seen any water coming into it. I’ve resealed everything I could find especially on the stern. My raw water intake is on the starboard side also. I have to thoughts, #1 - could it be flooding in the port battery compartment while under way ( I didn’t think to check that this past summer). #2 - could there be a crack in the bottom of the port sponson that only opens up when under stress of motoring? I appreciate all the advice and I’ll try to stay on top of this thread more diligently.
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only other thought is those drain holes you speak of are all potential ingress of water. The most obvious to me would be the drain hole of the bilge. It's the one that is closest to the stern and most likely to be under water while cruising depending on trim, load and or sea state. Check the bilge hose and make sure it is run higher than the drain before attaching to the drain. When I replaced my bilges and drain hoses I ran the hose all the way to the top underside of the gunnel then forward towards the bow before curving down and back to the drain. While running I routinely have water running past the bilge drain. It's amazing how much water can get in one wave at time. If you look closely at your drain fitting there should be 2 small nubs where a flap is supposed to be. There were no flaps on either of mine which is why I ran the bilge hose up before going down to the bilge.

James
Red

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Water in port sponson Reply with quote

Thanx for the advice Molly. I’ll keep this in mind and check it this spring after the snow melts. I’m still wondering if anyone has ever heard of the possibility to having a crack in the in the fiberglass at the bottom edge of the sponson which doesn’t leak while setting but could open up when under stress of running?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m still wondering if anyone has ever heard of the possibility to having a crack in the in the fiberglass at the bottom edge of the sponson which doesn’t leak while setting but could open up when under stress of running?

I believe that would be highly unlikely. The bottom of the hulls is made of a fairly thick layer of glass laminate, 1 1/2" of foam, and another lighter fiberglass layer. Forward of the hull, bunk area, it is solid glass, and would take a tremendous blow to crack that glass--it would be very visible.

From what was said, I would be betting on the bait well intake. Or perhaps the wash down intake. (If in the same hull as the water.).

It is also possible that there is some water in the forward part of the hull, which migrates aft, when the boat is on a plane.
Captain Starbucks

City/Region: Tacoma
C-Dory Year: 2009
Photos: Captain Starbucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:
I’m still wondering if anyone has ever heard of the possibility to having a crack in the in the fiberglass at the bottom edge of the sponson which doesn’t leak while setting but could open up when under stress of running?

I believe that would be highly unlikely. The bottom of the hulls is made of a fairly thick layer of glass laminate, 1 1/2" of foam, and another lighter fiberglass layer. Forward of the hull, bunk area, it is solid glass, and would take a tremendous blow to crack that glass--it would be very visible.

From what was said, I would be betting on the bait well intake. Or perhaps the wash down intake. (If in the same hull as the water.).

It is also possible that there is some water in the forward part of the hull, which migrates aft, when the boat is on a plane.

Yes, the reason I mentioned it, is because of the velocity of water coming into the bait tank via the thru hull water pick up. My bait tank pump was turned off, I had several BLOCKS, not bags of ice in the bait well, we motored out 1.5 hours and the ice was gone. Flat out gone. The boat was new to me at the time of this occurance and I wasn't aware of the design issue (I'm pretty sure C-Dory wouldn't admit to this being a 'feature'!). Anyway, the style of raw water pumps a lot of these boats have, if not winterized correctly, even if they are, can crack the very long brass bolts that hold them together quite easily. Once that happens, if there's any water pressure on the pump, it'll just barf it right into the hull. Either that or one of the clamps that's holding the hose onto the pump is broken. I'm quite certain one of those is the culprit. At the very least, cover the intake with speed tape and try again. The seacock on that circuit is very difficult to access to say the least. I'm sure most are never shut off and they like to corrode open. Mine is.
Red

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good information Thataway, sounds like the fiberglass is probably not the culprit. And Capt Starbucks, I understand what you’re saying about the operation of the bait tank, the only problem is that I don’t know of a bait tank on my 2000 tomcat. The only tank I have is the fish holding tank in the center on the stern. I’m perplexed, I’m thinking the port bilge exhaust is my only hope to find the culprit. Thanx for all the info, unfortunately I can’t check it out until about May.
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked your salt water washdown system? I would check from the through hull ball valve to the outlet and make sure that there isn't any disconnect along the way. Just a thought.
Red

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Water in port sponson Reply with quote

Good thought Schuster, I’ll check that again in the spring but my wash down system comes through the starboard side of my boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: