View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mason C. Bailey

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: McNaughty III
Photos: McNaughty III
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Halibut season 2006 Reply with quote

Well, it is getting close to that time of year again. Halibut opens this year at Neah Bay on May 9th. I have booked my trip, have moorage at Big Salmon resort and lodging at Sekui (Curley's resort). My fishing partner and I will be arriving on Saturday the 6th to get settled in, relax, do some bottom fishing, etc. We will depart on Saturday the 13th. I have heard but not yet confirmed that halibut will only be open on Tuesdays and Fridays, unless you obtain a BC license and fish the BC side. The only problem with this is that you can't stop and fish for other bottom fish on your way back from BC.

Any other C-Dory's going this year?

Mason on MacNaughty III
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to get out there and will probably book morage in Neah Bay for Sun the 7th departing on the 14th. I'll have to check with some of my other fishing buddies to get the exact times/details worked out. I'll probably just stay on my boat. I have another friend with a 21' trophy who will be staying at Snow Creek and that will provide another "buddy-boat" for off shore safety.

I'll fill you in with details when things get closer. I'll also probably get a Canadian license - have to make the run to Canada sometime thins next month (the online ones WON"T allow you to fish the Canadian waters just north and west of Neah Bay). I'm really looking forward to some bottom fishing and with cabin fever at it's strongest, I've been dreaming about the black rock cod fishing out at Neah Bay. I will probably also get out for the earlier opener North of Port Angeles. That open's up April 9 Thurs through Mon. Given that I'm already committed to going to the Big C for the C-brat gathering/springer fest, I'm not sure how I'll fit this all in. This job thing can really get in the way of boating and fishing....

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is too early for me to say yet, but I've been wanting to try this fishery for some time. Maybe this is my year.
Mason C. Bailey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Neah Bay Halibut Reply with quote

Roger,

Yes, I think we will also obtain BC licenses, if we get the chance to run up and get them. If you are booking moorage, I would do it as soon as you can because it does fill up. If you don't mind spending a little extra money, ask for an actual slip, they have power and water. They are also clearly marked, so nobody takes your space, which happened to us multiple times last year.

I'll be fishing in the straights as well, as soon as it opens up. Then I'll need to get it out of the water and home for a week or so before Neah Bay. Things to fix, clean or stock up on. I think this year, we will bring along a small freezer and wrap, vacuum seal and freeze our catch each night.

No we just need good weather!

Larry, make up your mind, it's fun.

Mason
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone planning on fishing the straight when it opens up? It opens a month before NB. I am planning on heading to Port Angeles for the opener on April 9th( sunday) It will be my first time fishing for halibut, and I am excited, I have been given some good coordinates, and read everything I could get my hands on regarding fishing for them around here. Anyone else planning on going out that early or interested in sharing what works for you? I'll probably hit Nb too or La push weather pending in may.

Sark
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about the port angeles fishery on the ninth. My only problem is driving all the way around tocoma to get there. Iam in marysville and that a long way. how far is it to take the boat from say lopaz or cornet bay?? in a flat sea would it be more or less time to take the boat from the north end then to drive all the way around. I will not pay the ferry thieves $160 just to make the short trip from edmonds. That is way to much for a short trip.

Also we have ran from lopaz to hein bank on a good day and that was ok. will this areas be good on the opener?? any other areas closer that might be good if I cant make it the whole way out? I have been buying halibut gear slowey all winter and really wnat to get my first butt.

Is april 9th also the first day of lingcod??

rogerbum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I am thinking about the port angeles fishery on the ninth. My only problem is driving all the way around tocoma to get there. Iam in marysville and that a long way. how far is it to take the boat from say lopaz or cornet bay?? in a flat sea would it be more or less time to take the boat from the north end then to drive all the way around. I will not pay the ferry thieves $160 just to make the short trip from edmonds. That is way to much for a short trip.

Also we have ran from lopaz to hein bank on a good day and that was ok. will this areas be good on the opener?? any other areas closer that might be good if I cant make it the whole way out? I have been buying halibut gear slowey all winter and really wnat to get my first butt.

Is april 9th also the first day of lingcod??

I agree with you on the ferry issue. It's only about 30 miles from Edmonds to Pt. Townsend and only about 34 from Everett. I'm thinking about running over the day before and spending the night. In this case, gas in the boat + moorage is less than the RT ferry by far - even if I have a nice dinner and drinks, it still comes out cheaper. Port Townsend puts you within a few miles of Mid Channel Bank and less than 10 miles from Partridge Bank, Dallas Bank and East Bank. Split the costs with someone for the gas an moorage and it becomes a cheap trip.

I too have been buying Hali gear but did so in one fell swoop yesterday. I bought a nice Lami rod rated to 80lb test, a collapsable hali spear and and spare point (already have the large float), some hooks to make leaders and some pre-made leaders, several large jigs, some power bait jig body/tails and some really large hootchies (plus a bunch of other stuff I probably don't really need).

I haven't seen anything about Lings opening early (other than in MA 1-3 where it's already open). The traditional date for lings in the sound and eastern strait is May 1. If you hear anything different let me know. I'd like to get out for lings also. I'm thinking we can do some ling fishing after we get our shrimp on the Lopez trip.

Roger
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Has anyone checked the regs they say that halibut opens april 10 but the wa site says the 9? am going out the 10 will be out of town on the 9, good spots are Hien bank , the rock pile off of Port Angeles , green point also buy Port Angeles , and the Dallas bank off Protection Island. my fav is the rock pile six miles due north of Port Angeles its on the charts.
If you go be shure you watch the weather as the wind really kicks up the waves fast. Also the best times seem to be on smaller tides and one hour before and after high or low tide. ( you can keep your bait on the bottom )
I use steel leaders they have sharp teeth.

Good Luck Richard
rogerbum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

The regs for this year haven't yet been released. Last year's had it for April 14th so I'm not sure what regs you're looking at. However, the WDFW did post this on their site:

"Marine areas 6-11 and 13 in Puget Sound will be open from April 9 through June 18, five days per week, Thursday through Monday, Culver said. Last year’s fishery in those areas started April 14."

So I'm planning on the 9th.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you guys have great weather and can get out there and let 'er rip. I remember the thread a while back when you said how much work it is for you folks down there to get 'em, and Donna and I wish you all the best of luck!

The guy that bought our old boat said he'd take us out before we move so we can have at least a box to Fedex to our new home. We'll miss chasing halibut a lot after we move, that's for sure.

BTW, Mason...when I went in and re-did our photo album, I saw that you commented on our octopus pic...thanks. We never go in and look at our own album, so I didn't know you commented. Didn't want you to think I was being ungrateful!

Be safe out there

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the WDFW email I got a couple weeks ago... My boat isn't going to be ready for a while yet. So unless I can bum a ride I won't be going for Halibut this year. And weekdays are definitely out for me. Sigh.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

March 3, 2006

Halibut season limits anglers to 3 days
a week on north coast

OLYMPIA - Recreational halibut fishing off the coast of Neah Bay and La Push will be limited to three days per week when the season opens there May 9, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today.

The popular sport fishery in marine areas 3 and 4 will be open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays until the catch reaches the first of two quotas, as prescribed in the catch-sharing plan adopted by the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC).

The new fishing schedule for those areas marks a change from previous years, when the north coast was open to fishing five days per week, said Michele Culver, WDFW halibut fisheries manager.

"Our goal for the north coast is to slow the pace of the fishery and spread out the fishing opportunity so more individual anglers can participate," Culver said. "Last year, the initial quota was gone seven days after the season opened."

This year's initial recreational quota for the north coast is 85,856 pounds, compared to 83,115 pounds last year. Another 33,388 pounds is reserved for a late season scheduled June 22 and 24, with the possibility of additional fishing days if the quota for the north coast is still not met.

In other marine waters, halibut seasons for 2006 will be similar to last year's, although most areas of Puget Sound will open five days earlier this year, Culver said.

Marine areas 6-11 and 13 in Puget Sound will be open from April 9 through June 18, five days per week, Thursday through Monday, Culver said. Last year's fishery in those areas started April 14.

"We had one group of anglers pushing for an April 1 start and another that wanted more fishing time in June," she said. "As a compromise, we settled on April 9 as the opening date this year."

Recreational halibut seasons in other areas are as follows:

Western Strait of Juan de Fuca: The fishery will run from May 25 through Aug. 5, Thursday through Monday, in Marine Area 5 off Sekiu.
South coast: The fishery in Marine Area 2 (Westport) will run five days a week, Sunday through Thursday, from May 1 until the quota is reached. During that time, fishing will be open seven days a week in the special nearshore area south of the Queets River.
Columbia River area: The season in Marine Area 1 (Ilwaco) will open May 1 and run seven days per week until July 16 or until the quota is taken, whichever comes first. If the quota is not taken, the season will reopen in August on a Friday-through-Sunday basis. Anglers fishing in this area cannot retain bottomfish, except sablefish and Pacific cod, if they have a halibut onboard.
As in recent years, Marine Area 12 (Hood Canal) will remain closed to fishing for halibut and a number of other species due to low dissolved-oxygen conditions.

Culver noted that fishing seasons for all areas of Puget Sound and the Pacific coast were designed around halibut quotas established by the PFMC for the West Coast. Under the PFMC's catch-sharing plan, Washington anglers will be allowed to catch 262,973 pounds of halibut compared to 242,579 pounds last year.

In addition to the 85,856 pounds allocated to the north coast, the plan provides 68,607 pounds for sport fisheries in Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, 53,952 pounds for the south coast and 21,170 pounds for the Columbia River area.

There is no minimum size limit for halibut in Marine Areas 1-13, which includes all waters from the Columbia River through Puget Sound. All regions have a one-fish daily bag limit and two-halibut possession limit, regardless of whether those fish are fresh or frozen.

As in previous years, a portion of the coast off La Push will be closed to fishing for halibut and bottomfish to reduce the likelihood that halibut anglers will unintentionally catch yelloweye rockfish, which are the focus of a long-term rebuilding plan. Coordinates for the conservation zone will be published in the 2006-07 Fishing in Washington rule pamphlet.

Culver advised anglers that new yelloweye protection measures also will be in effect this year that restrict retention and possession of rockfish and lingcod in deep coastal waters. From March 18 through June 15, it will be unlawful to have rockfish or lingcod on board a vessel seaward of a line approximating 30 fathoms in Marine Area 2. A similar restriction will be in effect from May 22 through Sept. 30 in waters deeper than 20 fathoms in marine areas 3 and 4.

Anglers can still retain halibut caught in deeper waters, but must release any rockfish or lingcod they encounter during those periods, Culver said.

"Last year, the Washington sport fishery exceeded its harvest target for yelloweye rockfish, despite the various protective measures in effect," she said. "The target is the same this year, so we're hoping the new restrictions help reduce impacts on these depleted stocks."

Culver recommends that anglers check the WDFW website (http://wdfw.wa.gov/ ) or Fishing Hotline (360-902-2500) for the latest sport fishing rules before going fishing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/unsubscribe.htm

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading some posts here, and doing some talking with my fishing partner. I think we are leaning towards what Roger said, cruising out the day before to Port Townsend. And fishing out of there. I know a couple guys that caught a few out there last year, off some of the banks in the area. We will probably head to Port Angeles the following weekend to fish and get a whole weekend in that way. It does make more sense $ wise. We are really excited to try to tie into some big halibut.

Sark
Mason C. Bailey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Halibut Reply with quote

I will be going out to the nearby banks off of Port Townsend when it opens up as well. The biggest halibut I have caught was at Heine bank back in 2002, picture #7 of my photo album. The largest I have ever caught at Neah Bay was 60 pounds, and that was while fishing for Salmon. (back in the old days when you could fish for both at once!) I truly believe that your best chance for a large halibut is in the straights or north Puget Sound but it is often hit and miss, you just have to keep at it. Years back, my average was one halibut, every other trip out, the last several years it has been one halibut for every three trips in Puget Sound or the Straights. Anyway, I will just leave from the Everett Marina, sometimes going south and around or north through Deception Pass and usually return by the opposite route just for fun.

McNaughty III
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason - where is your photo album?

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: When you're in Port Townsend Reply with quote

If any of you guys spend the night in Port Townsend, please give me a call. I am in town, and if you need anything bought for you I can bring it. I'd be very interested in seeing your equipment for the halibut. I had halibut for dinner, and would love to be rigged to bring home my own.

Dave 379-6599
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: