The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

anchor roller selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: anchor roller selection Reply with quote

I'd like advice on what sort of anchor roller/retrieval system I should use on my 22' Cruiser. This is a restoration project starting from a bare hull so I can basically do anything I want at this point. I've purchased a Rocna 13# anchor and Lewmar H700 windlass.
What do you suggest for an anchor roller setup?

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On both my 22 and 25, I have a roller that allows the anchor to drop when setting it. Something like this has worked fine for me:
https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/pivoting-anchor-roller.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3oDaqZ2rggMVWUNyCh08bwvBEAQYCCABEgKpxfD_BwE

Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to put a backing plate or at least fender washers on the back side of the bolts attaching both the anchor roller and the windlass. I usually use 1/4 to 5/16 aluminum as the backing plate. Easy to drill with a hand drill (although I use a drill press). It cuts easy with a coarse tooth hacksaw.

I have just used the standard bow roller which comes on the boats--but at times it is better to have the articulating plate Colby mentions.

I noted that you have a chain stopper on the foredeck in your photos. This is only meant to hold the anchor when you are running or trailering. It should not take the load if you are anchored. You want the bow anchor line to be cleated off, no load on the windlass. You only use the windlass to take up slack as you power to right over the anchor. Use the boat to pull the anchor out of the sea bottom, and then use the windlass to raise the anchor from the bottom. Often you will need to either use a brush, or back the boat down with the chain and anchor in the water to get all of the mud off. Remove any debris manually.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one like the one Colby linked to and I like it even though I think my delta would launch with a fixed roller. The original anchor when I got the boat was the lewmar claw and it held well but I had to go on the bow every time to dislodge it.
pcg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
...I noted that you have a chain stopper on the foredeck in your photos. This is only meant to hold the anchor when you are running or trailering.
Thanks, I didn't even know what that was. All hardware has been removed from the deck now and all holes filled in so I'm starting from scratch. Is that chain stopper necessary to hold the anchor when running or trailering? Can the tension provided by the windlass serve the same purpose, or should the windlass not be used for that and the anchor tied off to a cleat instead, while running or trailering?
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use the Pivoting Self-Launch Roller. It works really well. The other thing about this type of roller is that the anchor rides a lot lower When it is up, allowing for better viability while running.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
thataway wrote:
...I noted that you have a chain stopper on the foredeck in your photos. This is only meant to hold the anchor when you are running or trailering.
Thanks, I didn't even know what that was. All hardware has been removed from the deck now and all holes filled in so I'm starting from scratch. Is that chain stopper necessary to hold the anchor when running or trailering? Can the tension provided by the windlass serve the same purpose, or should the windlass not be used for that and the anchor tied off to a cleat instead, while running or trailering?

That chain stopper is for when trailering or running. It is not made to take the load of anchoring. I prefer to tie the anchor with a line and carabiner (one of the few uses of a carabiner on a boat. I fix the inboard end with an eye splice over the main cleat, which I left right behind the Windless.

There are other chain stoppers, which are made to take the load of the chain (using snubbed) but I don’t see the sense of these on our small C Dorys.
pcg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all! I ordered the bow roller that Colby recommended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: