HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

OXE Diesel Outboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brevity

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: BREVITY
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: OXE Diesel Outboard Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has considered, or possibly installed, an OXE diesel outboard on a C Dory 25 cruiser. The OXE outboards are definitely heavy compared to gas! According to their specs, both the 150hp and the 200hp weigh in at 350kg.

But I think that some folks happily run a pair of 90hp Honda outboards, which I think come in at ~165kg each, or 330kg total.

So it seems like it _could_ be within the realm of possibility to try the OXE. Has anyone here done it, or considered it?

Sources:
Honda weight: https://marine.honda.com/outboards/models/midrange/BF75-90-100
OXE weight: https://www.oxemarine.com/outboards/oxe-diesel-models/oxe200/
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just a matter of time these get cheap enough to be competitive with the gas outboards. With that said, I'd be surprised that anyone has spent that kind of money to repower a pleasure boat that is only used a few hours per year. And I've never seen one on a commfish boat up here.....yet....the time is probably coming though if they are dependable, sip fuel, and run for 15k hours. But....then again....I think Bristol Bay sockeye fishers got like 50 cents a pound last year....and yet those buggers cost more than ever at the market these days. Hmmm...I'm curious about them too.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OXE diesel outboard is US$80-90K right now. You'd have to use it A LOT for it to pay off.

There are other companies that are developing more modest sized diesel outboards (~50-100 hp).
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size battery do they require? I’m moving to lighter batteries and would like a single new engine with more torque that is more fuel efficient than my old one. When fully loaded with water, gas, fishing gear and multi day trips the 25 gets pretty overloaded. I’d be hesitant to go with 700+ lbs of engines but I guess it has been done. I probably have close to 600lbs between Honda 150 and 9.9.
brevity

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: BREVITY
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From their website, the recommended price is $44,500 (not including rigging), although that may not reflect the real-world price.

The installation manual for the 150/200hp suggests a 95ah battery with a cranking current of 850CCA, similar to what I would expect for a gas outboard of the same size.

I think it'd be particularly interesting to try one on a C Dory 25, the increased range would be a big plus and I suspect it would benefit from the increased torque.

Still doesn't make sense from a pure financial perspective, but maybe the combination of other features will make it a good fit for someone soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: