The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Freeing severely seized steering rod (the gentle way)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ctarmigan

City/Region: Whitehorse
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ptarmigan
Photos: Ptarmigan
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Freeing severely seized steering rod (the gentle way) Reply with quote

Backed off my trailer at the launch this weekend, only to discover I had no steering. Managed to resolve the briefly stressful boat control problem, then set about trying to free up my seized steering rod. Common enough issue, with plenty of internet solutions, but mine appeared resistant to any of the usual tap/push/pound options out there – it was very seized.

After exhausting my options for trying to push or hammer the rod back into the tilt tube (toward the outboard) without success, I used a 2x4 to pry it slowly it out of the tilt tube, which had the benefit of not risking deformation of the rod end by continuing to hammer on it. I haven’t seen a method like this documented anywhere, and it worked very well, so I’m putting it here so that it’s potentially findable/helpful for others.

1. Remove steering arm
2. About 12” from one end of a 2x4, drill a hole that will somewhat generously fit the steering rod diameter
3. Slide 2x4 onto steering rod, with long end projecting aft of the transom
4. Optional – add a large washer over the steering rod end
5. Put a snug-fitting rod into the steering rod hole that used to house the steering arm, to act as a pin to keep the 2x4 on the rod
6. Put a wooden block or two between the outboard transom mount and the 2x4, such that when you apply levering force to the long end it doesn’t try to bend the rod off to one side
7. Apply levering force to the long end of the 2x4 (toward the outboard)
8. Have a friend carefully tap the short end of the 2x4 with a mallet
9. Pull out majority of steering rod (use steering arm length to check you don’t go beyond maximum), and clean and lubricate thoroughly
10. Proceed with whatever cleaning/lubrication/removal/replacement of the now-freed steering rod and tilt tube that you have planned

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "work smarter not harder" way of thinking... but it that does not work I quickly go to the "face toward enemy" type of solution..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: