The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cracked! - Need a lower unit for Honda BF40 (1997)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I post photos here?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
How do I post photos here?

The easiest way is to put the photo in your album. (You already have some there.)
Then you click on "Img" found above, Go to your album, get the address of the photo there, copy that, (in the Mac, it is Control Key) then paste it after "Img", then click on the "[/Img]". Do a preview to be sure it is OK. You can do the same for images on the internet. But anything you paste there had to have a "jpg" (standing for a photo graphic convention.). There are several other conventions which will work.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the crack has not made it to the gearcase oil cavity. I could:
- Drill a hole at the end of the crack to prevent further propagation...
- Grind the crack open a bit to expose more surface area for bonding
- JB weld the crack
- Then I'd like to put some kind of Stainless Steel bank around the housing, just before the flange at the end near the propeller.

Thoughts on this approach?
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freshwater vs Saltwater question..

I also plan to only run it in Freshwater (such as Lake Powell) for the foreseeable future. (it used to spend 2-3 weeks per year in Puget Sound).. Is it safe to say the "corrosion-expansion" that caused the crack will halt as long as it's not exposed to saltwater anymore?
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:

I also plan to only run it in Freshwater (such as Lake Powell) for the foreseeable future. (it used to spend 2-3 weeks per year in Puget Sound).. Is it safe to say the "corrosion-expansion" that caused the crack will halt as long as it's not exposed to saltwater anymore?

I don't think anyone can really answer that with certainty. But, the longevity should be increased - lots of variables.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WZ,
I repair about 50 outboards a year and have repaired near a thousand in my lifetime. I would not waste my time with repairing it. I would buy a used one in almost 90% of the cases. I have had good luck with buying used ones from reputable shops that sell used lower units. Most of these reputable shops will replan a defective unit.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the liberty of posting two of your photos in larger format, to see the amount of corrosion detail. (if you copy the first image you see on your photo album, they will be small--probably because of a small file. If you double click then it will come up this size:

After studying these, I agree 100% with srbaum who has extensive experience with these motors. Also agree with T.R. Bauer that we really don't know what the future of the corrosion and extending of the crack

Any of the your suggested remedies will not really do a lot in the long run. These photos also bring up the condition of the water passages in this motor. I would pull the thermostat and examine what you can easily see. I would also suggest running the motor in a tank which has salt away added for at least getting up to temperature, and then running for 15 more minutes.

I have dealt with overheating issues on Powell several times, and these were usually when we had gone back into canyons or to the navigable head of the San Juan River, where there was a lot of debris. However we have had it happen in both Powell and other fresh water venues, where a fairly small debris field or grass will plug up the water intake. Stopping and reversing the motor cleared the debris off the lower unit.

Replace the lower unit.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....seen that lots of times before on honda outboards. I had one like that too. It's time for a new lower unit if you like going out on the water and not worrying about it. BTW, no way that crack stays static. If somebody showed up and asked me to TIG weld that? I'd say you're throwing your money away. Lower units are not free, but as far as boat money goes, they aren't that much either.
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Wood Zeppelin wrote:

I don't think anyone can really answer that with certainty. But, the longevity should be increased - lots of variables.

Yes, thanks for this reply. I agree...
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
WZ,
I repair about 50 outboards a year and have repaired near a thousand in my lifetime. I would not waste my time with repairing it. I would buy a used one in almost 90% of the cases. I have had good luck with buying used ones from reputable shops that sell used lower units. Most of these reputable shops will replan a defective unit.

Thank you. I (reluctantly) agree!

Can you recommend shops that might have these units? I called the two Honda dealers closest to Seattle, and neither of them were any help.
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I took the liberty of posting two of your photos in larger format, to see the amount of corrosion detail. (if you copy the first image you see on your photo album, they will be small--probably because of a small file. If you double click then it will come up this size:

After studying these, I agree 100% with srbaum who has extensive experience with these motors. Also agree with T.R. Bauer that we really don't know what the future of the corrosion and extending of the crack

Any of the your suggested remedies will not really do a lot in the long run. These photos also bring up the condition of the water passages in this motor. I would pull the thermostat and examine what you can easily see. I would also suggest running the motor in a tank which has salt away added for at least getting up to temperature, and then running for 15 more minutes.

I have dealt with overheating issues on Powell several times, and these were usually when we had gone back into canyons or to the navigable head of the San Juan River, where there was a lot of debris. However we have had it happen in both Powell and other fresh water venues, where a fairly small debris field or grass will plug up the water intake. Stopping and reversing the motor cleared the debris off the lower unit.

Replace the lower unit.

Thank you Bob, very informative! Yes, I will do the salt away treatment, as you recommend.
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, next big question...

Did they improve on this design in later models that I can swap in and bolt directly to the top half of my motor?

I talked to a guy at shop that services Honda's, and he kept referring to the "two bolts" that hold in this parts of the gear case in place. When I'd mention one big internally threaded nut, he'd go back to talking about the "two regular bolts". I know some other motors have this design. Do later model BF40/50's have this improved design that I could use?
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a parts diagram for your motor by google. That will tell about the bolts.

You will most likely have to go to salvage yards or E bay to find the "used but in good shape" lower unit. You should always do a run out dial caliper on one of these to assure that the prop shaft is not damaged. If it is out of true, send it back.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WZ,
Give a call to Atlantic Marine, they are wonderful people and truly Honda outboard experts. They specialize in selling and installing Honda's to the military, as well as to commercial and recreational boaters. They are also the go-to for rebuilt or new lower units.
www.atlanticmarineva.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: