The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Upper Yukon River
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

section 4

7-31-03 continued. Arrived Whitehorse about 9pm. Tied off to trees on river bank in closest spot we could get to fuel station. Many walking trips to fuel boat. Used 55 gal for the 200 mile up river trip. It was dark by the time boat was fueled. River running fairly swift right to bank where we tied off, so spent the night right there.

8-1-03 Beautiful early morning run down river. Light fog with sun trying to brake through. Left Whitehorse 6:30am arrived Carmacks 4:15pm. Easy run downriver using gps track from trip up. Only one oops. Cut a little close to a incoming stream which was had carried gravel out into river. Only a few feet off gps track, but heard and felt prop protectors making contact. Only very slight damage to props. We carry 2 spare sets. Used 33 gal going down stream. Loaded boat. Drove to and spent night at Yukon gov. campground on Teslin Lake.

8-2-03 Spent day exploring teslin lake. Went up the river at the inlet a few miles. Teslin lake has much better fishing than the other area lakes, but the surrounding shore of lake is not as scenic. On one of the small coves we spotted and old unique cabin with all hand made furniture. There was a huge set of moose antlers hanging on the front of cabin. Was very tempted to barrow them for a few years, but we resisted the temptation. Hopefully they are still hanging there now waiting for the next person to stop by and enjoy.

8-3---8-7 Left teslin lake down the Cassiar Highway through Prince George again. Into Washington State. Stopped at the C Dory Factory to have center window installed. They got us right in and out with a job well done. Night at Jo-Lee's sister in Amboy, Washington. Arrived home in Cokeville, Wyoming 2 days later.

In the last 3 summers we have logged 4663 miles on the Hunkydory and 22694 miles trailering it. And hoping for many more.

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and Jolee,

Great story! I can picture the Carmacks area from a trip we made in our RV in 04. Further, from the glimpses of the Yukon River that I remember, I have great admiration for your river running skills.

You mentioned a Sat phone and prop protectors. I'd like to learn more about both. What Sat system, subscription and your rating of its effectiveness?

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny,

We appreciate the compliments and very pleased you enjoyed the story.

The prop protectors we use are called the MAC'S RIVER RUNNER and they can purchased through CABELA'S, also check there catalog or internet for a good description. We don't have the computer knowledge to post pictures yet and time to learn now. Am working 6 days a week. For our Honda 40's they are $95.99 each. They were a must on our inflatable and even with twins they have still saved damage to props many times.

We still have the sat phone, but are not subscribed at the present. When we were, it was $30 a month plus $l.65 per minute. For us emergency use only. We went through WCC Global Satellite Communications, phone number l 480 857 6656 x 202 or 1 480 857 6898. Don't know if these number still connect. We temporally dropped out last year. We have the motorola 9505 phone with the Iridium satellite system. There is another much less expensive system but doesn't reach far enough north for us. There are now many plans for prepaid ect. available, so unless someone else has better advice I suggest you look up satellite phones on the internet. There is much good information to sift through. Our phone was $l500 at time of purchase and well worth it for the peace of mind in the places we've been. Every time we tried it-it worked. We did short test calling our kids during our travels. Must be able to see the sky. We didn't test but might not have been able to get out due to the high cliffs in Misty Fjords National Monument and Tracy Arm. We had problems coming out of Fords Terror and was able to reach my son for computer advice.

Hope this helps.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty brady

We are interested in the trip you mentioned to Dan, for the future.

Do you know anybody that's made this trip in a cruiser type boat. My experience has been, its much more difficult than with a open boat.

Hope one of you or both make this run before were able to and give us a report.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: