The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Trailer Issues Reply with quote

First the good news: while my vacation schedule didn't allow us to make this year's "Meet in the Middle" gathering, we left Alton IL early last week and had a very nice cruise down the remainder of the upper Mississippi, up the Ohio to the Cumberland and Lake Barkley, then continuing to the Commodore Yacht Club in Nashville, where Kel and our two pups are currently hanging out. We saw Mike on Little Joe in Clarksville on Wednesday.

I flew back to St. Louis yesterday to pickup the trailer and head back to Nashville. Shortly after getting on the road, I noticed my port-side trailer guide missing. When I stopped to see what had happened, I saw this:

Shocked

Essentially the tube that connects the aft section of the trailer, and to which the back bunk supports are attached, pulled out of the two U-bolts that hold it to the aluminum I-Beam on the port side. I didn't notice their being loose when doing my walk-around of the trailer before leaving, but obviously they weren't tight enough.

I managed to use some straps to pull the tube closer to the I-beam and raise it slightly and limped back to the trailer repair place I (mostly) trust. They won't be able to look at it until Monday, so won't have more information until then.

My main concern is that the distance between the I-beams is now roughly 6 inches greater than if the bar was connected, so it's not as simple as replacing the U bolts and reconnecting the bar. Not sure if the frame is intentionally "sprung" to maintain tension when assembled, of if the difference represents a bigger problem.

Other thoughts - this is an EZ Loader aluminum trailer built for a 6200# max boat weight and 7400# GVWR. I've weighed the trailer with the boat a few times, with totals very close the 7400 lbs. While not necessarily related to this incident, I'm now more eager to replace this trailer with something more robust after 15 years.

Everyone at the Commodore Yacht Club has been more than helpful and accommodating. Kel says she'll enjoy the extra week's "Retreat" there while I either fix the trailer or arrange for a different solution this week. I'm especially thankful this didn't happen with the boat on the trailer.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate trailers and I'm sorry yours is broken. But, if I am seeing this correctly, the butt end of the trailer where the failure happened is also the cross member tying it all together. And without it, it's free to move all over the place - at least, for the most part. It's hard to tell, could be just the camera angle, but are missing a piece of the i-beam? Anyway, if you are not, I don't see why with the right tools it wouldn't go back together if nothing is bent or broken. And if it is, that what welders are for. I have repaired worse! But I don't know without seeing it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. I also wondered the same as Bauer. I trailer a lot, and would definitely want something more robust. I've been happy with my loadrite. C-Traveler and trailer, when fully loaded (fuel and water) weight in at 8300. Completely empty, no fuel and water or stores, I'm closer to the 7300. I was able to purchase my new trailer a couple years ago for around $6500. But had to wait several months for it to be built. I would think a good trailer shop could get your trailer welded back together, and then give you time to start looking into a new trailer. Not sure if we'll see you on our return trip. We are currently at the Roaring River fork with the Cumberland River, mile 358. Plan to get to 381 tomorrow where the Obey dumps in. Not sure if we'll go farther, or turn around at that point. We're' only doing about 30 miles a day. Colby
LesR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news - the trailer shop was able to re-attach that back support without having to bend/force/weld anything. That support is attached on both sides to the aluminum I-beams. The U bolts holding them had apparently loosened enough that without the weight of the boat, the beam shifted and fell out of the U bolts on the left side (hidden by the license plate in the above photo).

I'm still committed to getting a new, higher-rated trailer, though now I don't have to do it immediately. The Load Rite model that Colby, Tom, and others have sounds like the most realistic approach. I'll reach out individually for specific additional recommendations, and would appreciate ideas for options in addition to EOH brakes and a spare tire/mount.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye balling the trailer pictured is way too light for a 25. The load rite is the way to go. I made the same mistake on my first 25 where I had a trailer built locally. "building a trailer" is basically putting together standard parts. There have been some shortages in the last few years, which may impact getting a new trailer in a short time period.

Running a trailer with no boat on it, is very hard on the trailer--and I have done it a number of times. They bounce all over the place, and vibration is an issue. This is probably what caused the failure. But you are absolutely correct, it could have been a catastrophe if the failure occurs with the boat on it. I would be careful watching for bumps in the road, where resonant frequencies are set up with the trailer and road. I would be trailering slower than usual, getting the boat home.

I cannot offer any suggestion, except I put lights on the standoffs. I had a combo brake and tail, plus a yellow running "jewel" light forward and to the side, plus a red "jewel to the rear but on the side as an additional brake and turn signal light. Tom of Sea Otter has a lot of very good advice on setup of the trailer, and how to use target bunks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can look later who I bought my trailer through. It was mostly done on the internet, and I set it up so I could pick the trailer up in PA from the factory. I went with Stainless Steel hardware, a spare tire carrier, and a spare tire rim that was the same as the regular rims. I went with EOH brakes as they refused to do straight electric only. Other than the caliper slider pin issues I had earlier, I've been very happy with the trailer. I saw Tom's trailer while at Prizer, and he upgraded his disk brakes to calipers with brass bushings instead of rubber bushings. Glad you got your trailer fixed and it wasn't as complicated as bending aluminum. I was thinking we might see you in Clarksville, but probably not. I think we'll be possibly staying there Saturday night. Colby
LesR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions. We loaded the boat in Nashville and made it safely and intact back to St. Louis on Saturday.

Colby, I got a quote for the Load Rite trailer from Enterprise Marine and RV - I think you may have mentioned them in a prior thread. Our son now lives in St. Augustine, so will likely have an excuse to pick up a trailer over the winter. Apparently the current wait time is shorter than in past years (e.g. 2-3 weeks).
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
olby, I got a quote for the Load Rite trailer from Enterprise Marine and RV - I think you may have mentioned them in a prior thread. Our son now lives in St. Augustine, so will likely have an excuse to pick up a trailer over the winter. Apparently the current wait time is shorter than in past years (e.g. 2-3 weeks).

Hey Les, that's great. Yes, it was Enterprise Marine. They, and only one other outfit, offered the best deals. I was happy to work with Enterprise. Forget the gal's name, but she was good to work with. 2-3 weeks is very short. They were quoting almost 6 months when I purchased mine, but ended up only being a couple of months. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: