The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Yamaha 150 Engine Maintenance / trouble icon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 150 Engine Maintenance / trouble icon Reply with quote

I have a 2009 Yamaha F150 4-stroke efi outboard, along with a 2017 Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke kicker. I also have digital gauges for the main. I am getting the engine maintenance / trouble icon flashing after starting my main outboard after running the kicker. This is the situation. I shut the main down, raise it (trim it up) and start and run on the kicker for some time. When I'm ready to switch back, I'll trim the main back down and start it, while still under way at 3 to 5 kts. This is when the icon comes on and continues flashing. IF I come to a complete stop, DIW, and wait a minute, then start the main, no icon. So what is causing the maintenance / trouble icon to flash? (This is the engine symbol on the digital gauge.) I'm not due an oil change, and no other maintenance or trouble indication comes on. The engine starts and runs just fine. But I'm perplexed as to why I need to come DIW and wait a minute before starting the main for that icon not to come on and flash!
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the piezo alarm buzzer sound? It self-tests every time you start the engine.

Is this the gauge?

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Multi-Function-Tachometer-6Y5-8350T-D0-00/dp/B005C5AGMA/ref=asc_df_B005C5AGMA?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745439395605&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345029247940&psc=1

John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and yes. No, there is no alarm check but the gauge does a self check with all icons showing and then disappearing. The engine warning only flashes after starting the engine while it’s already moving in the water.
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alarm SHOULD beep on startup. That piezo can burn out or get disconnected.

To test it, in a safe area in neutral, yank the lanyard on the engine stop switch. The engine should stop, the alarm sound, and every LED segment on the pictured gauge will light up (ie TRIM will show full tilt up though it’s down).

If that alarm doesn’t sound, get it fixed when you get home and watch the gauge icons more frequently but first fly the plane.

On the gauge pictured, the left icon (looks something like a thermometer) is the engine overheat sensor. The right icon (looks something like an oil can) is an oil pressure (NOT oil level) sensor. A Yamaha 3 pin test harness is required to test it. It’s not connected to anything else (Yamaha F150/LF150 Four Stroke Service Manual, page I-19 and 5-12). It’s not monitoring anything else and it’s not like a ‘check engine’ light.

When we had some engine smoking issues on the Erie Canal the mechanic said the oil flows forward at full tilt up and can take a while to flow back. I can imagine that might cause low oil pressure initially with a start immediately after lowering. You could test my theory at anchor…perhaps it has nothing to do with water flow past the prop.

In short, I can’t imagine how water flowing past the prop (or not) could cause low oil pressure but it’s interesting.

John
Captain Starbucks

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
Photos: Captain Starbucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of no help, but I also have a 2009 F150. One of the engines will flash the engine icon, and when it does, that engine produces no volts. My fix is to shut it down and restart. Sometimes more than once but the icon has always gone away and then the engine starts producing voltage again .
1996 20' Wooldridge Xtra Plus - Sold 2012
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
The alarm buzzer has no bearing on the issue. Again, nothing appears wrong. Just that when I start the motor while moving or if I start it as soon as I stop moving, the engine symbol icon flashes. If I wait a minute or so before starting after coming DIW, no flashing icon. I’m just perplexed why . Colby
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the kicker charging the same starting battery as the main? With the kicker still running and producing a charge as the main is started, that could produce some voltage erratic and trigger your issue.
I have no experience with your setup so take my advice for what you paid for it Wink

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
Do you have the kicker charging the same starting battery as the main? With the kicker still running and producing a charge as the main is started, that could produce some voltage erratic and trigger your issue.
I have no experience with your setup so take my advice for what you paid for it Wink

Yes. But wouldn't that also be true with my battery charger via shore power or Honda generator, or my solar panel's controller? I have no issue that I know of starting the main with any of those involved.

Today I tried leaving the main trimmed down and ran on the kicker for about 15 minutes. We had about a kt and half of current. I then started the main, and got the engine icon again. Put the kicker in neutral and tried again. Same. Let the boat come to somewhat of a stop. Same. Let boat float backwards and turn perpendicular to current (Ie, no prop spinnage) and tried again. No icon. Maybe just coincidence, but no turning prop on main when starting, no engine maintenance/trouble icon. Makes absolutely no sense to me... Perhaps tomorrow I'll try turning the kicker off first. Maybe you are on to something with erratic voltage put out by kicker... Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: