The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2006 venture 23.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinMc

City/Region: Venice
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: 2006 venture 23. Reply with quote

I am ready to sea trial a 2006 boat and noticed a soft spot in the cockpit deck, port side only. This boat has a Deck plate in the cabin floor just forward of the door threshold. After looking inside it appears to have a separate inner liner that is part of the cabinets made with balsa core about 1" thick.The balsa cored hull is about one inch below this Liner.
My question is as follows:
Is the cockpit deck a separate balsa backed one piece unit that is placed and glassed in place above the cored hull or is it a composite part of the balsa core for the hull in this area ( from the door threshold,Aft )?

Thanks, Any help out there in Dory land and beyond would be appreciated.
Kevinmc Possible new owner..
[size=18][/size]
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinMc,
My 26 is a 2007 and built in the same facility, by the same designer/builder.
I have been conducting maintenance, as I had not waxed the boat in over a year and the engine was due for full service. In addition to this, I was concerned that the air conditioner thru hull was leaking. I completed the outboard service and the cleaning/waxing, then got to work on the plumbing. I removed all of the thru hull plumbing and found that the there was no issues with the bronze thru hull and it was water tight (zero leaking in the core area of the hull). I did find that the thru hull ball valve was leaking and that the strainer was leaking. So fortunately, not leaking into the core. What I did observe while conducting this work is that the deck, under the cabin area of the boat is a well executed balsa core and that the deck in the aft area of the boat is foam, but not high density foam, like would be used as a structural core.
Your 23 is most likely just like my 26 in the build method.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: