Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the link was faulty, Gary. Was this the video you were sending us to?

Definitely not for the faint of heart....

Don
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don that was the video, the Coast Guard boat keeping an eye on those boats is going around like he is on small shoppy water ?

Gary SEARAM
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about all the details of the operation, but if I were the skipper of that boat I wouldn't let all those folks ride it out on the back deck.

One good misplaced wave and they would be over the side and the task of going back for them very difficult and dangerous. Coast Guard or no Coast Guard.

They should be inside the cabin unlesss their presence on the deck is needed and they are attached by lifelines.

The skipper of a party fishing boat took a shortcut into the harbor entrance (instead of the safer, long way around) in rough weather a few years ago at Bodega Bay (about 30 miles north of San Francisco) and washed some passengers over the side in a broach. Two of the fishermen that went over the side could not be recovered and drowned. Two years or more later they settled the lawsuits.

Using your head and practicing a conservative approch to risks go a lot further towards survival at sea than cowboy antics.

Have to go now, the end of the video is finally loaded!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
I don't know about all the details of the operation, but if I were the skipper of that boat I wouldn't let all those folks ride it out on the back deck.
Joe.

Joe, put your bifocals on. Sunrise, Prime Time, Joan E, Smitty, and Lady Luck in that order. Five boats made the run and (watching it full screen) it looked to me like just a few crewmembers were not wearing lifejackets, and only on two boats. Crew always think they're invulnerable. I'd rather be on deck and untethered if the Sunrise broached and rolled. Puts me that much closer to those Coasties and no worry about unclipping myself while underwater.

Don

Oops, I forgot. Can you MAC guys watch that video full screen?
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta post (practice for slacker day) -

That weather was typical and expected often - when I was charter skippering out of Westport there was always some goon (skipper goon, that is) who liked to show off. A good skipper will make danged sure all folks on the boat, including crew, have jackets on and fastened, are all braced and secure if a doubler or big one rolls the boat on beams end -- and lecture all that a shift of weight, like all passengers and crew tossed to the down side with give 'em all a bath.

On the good side, saw some very nice boat handling in the video... and one lousy job.

Dusty (Sr. slacker -- right after Charlie)

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I didn't watch the whole video before making the post-seems the feed is pretty slow, even with a high speed hook up.

Still and all, would you let your wife or kid ride it out in the cockpit of your C-Dory if you had the misfortune to have to come in over the entrance/bar in that stuff?---or insist they come inside?

My "training" in such matters comes at least partially from racing offshore in large keel sailboats from 35-60 or more feet in length, where dropping the sails and coming back for you is a chancy thing. With the kite (spinnaker) up and going as much as 20+ knots offshore, it may take a half a mile or more to drop the chute and turn the boat around. Try finding someone in 10 foot or more seas under those conditions! Especially at night! The man overboard marker poles have flags and strobe lights on them, but there's no guarantee the pole will be where the person is. A personal EPIRB (radio beacon) is one partial answer, but it's just easier to stay on the boat in the first place, rather than wait for the Coast Guard to pick you up in the morning.

I rode in one of the new 47 ft Coast Guard Surfboats a few years back, and Mustang work/survival suits, crash helmets, life vests, big time seat belts, and bucket chairs made with 2" aluminum tube frames were the order of the day. Guess they wanted you to stay attached to the boat in the event of a roll over! Apparently it's better to be strapped to the bridge than swimming with the props!

One of the prime rules I have always heard about survival in marine emergencies is to stay with the boat, at least until it's headed for Davey Jones Locker.

I know there are extenuating circumstances and counter arguments to all of this, but I'm still going to stay inside and keep my body mass as low as possible in my CD-22, where my feet (only) will be below the waterline.

My $0.02 on a wet, rainy night with not much else to do!

Joe.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don-

Negative on the full screen view with the Mac...at least as far as I can do for now, Will keep looking around for the right button....

Joe.
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: How Would A C-Dory Handle Such Seas Reply with quote

For you brave of heart who go out into the ocean with your C-Dorys how would our boats handle such conditions. Chime in Duster!
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Agree with you 100%. One problem with a charter boat - depending on the size of the charter - there is not enough room inside. And there are times, more than a few, when you are coming in down-sea with the big guys climbing your backside when you want all possible weight aft. Different each time you come in. Many variables - from full tanks if you've been out doing tuna (500-100 gal. diesel) - 1/2 tank or less on a local troll. No fish to hundreds of pounds. The good skippers know how to distribute the weight for the safest approach.

I do not believe in the passengers fastening a lanyard, but it's easy enough to sit down, take a turn on a vertical, sip coffee or a brew, and enjoy the ride. Totally different situation with a big sailboat -- lots of ballast with big righting moment, usually deep keel, and normally (not always!) not many passengers, so the weight shift of passengers or crew sliding down slope is not so great.

Stay with the boat - you betcha, if at sea. But on your way in through the cut in marginal conditions the Costies are flying formation on you and watching closely for an overboard incident. I personally don't want to stay with the boat it if's gonna be beating against a rocky breakwater... it just boils down to good seamanship. Considering the number of boats out there during fishing season it's surprising how few real tragedies we have. And one is too danged many.

So there! I got another post off! Slacker moi? Naw.

Duster
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty-

Good points, All!

I hadn't considered all the weight shift issues for a comercial or party boat, and Don has convinced me offline that going over the side under those conditions with other boats to pick you up is safer than being strapped to the boat.

I've never used a safety harness on a powerboat like those or a C-Dory, but thought that anyone working on deck with a serious chance of taking a tumble might be better off strapped in pretty tight.

I guess if the guys working the crab pots on the 100+ foot boats in the Bearing Sea don't wear safety harnesses, we shouldn't expect everyone else to either!

You're right on the other point, too, we're well on our way to bustin' out of the slacker doldrums! Must have gotten off 6-10 today myself!

Great talking with all of you!

Joe.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you is last August , I did get caught in gale force storm ,it was my first experience with the C-Dory . I was by myself, thank God Sharon decided not to go fishing that morning. When the wind picked up , I was fishing in the George Passage North EAST of Malcolm Island,as I proceeded home and came around Blackfish Sound, thru Weynton Passage, then to Telagragh Cove across Johnstone Strait . Anybody that has been fishing that area knows how bad it can get with almost no warning. I don't now how much more storm a 22' C-Dory could endure but ,I personally did a prayer or two! This C-Dory is a great boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: