The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mackenzie River, NWT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! That's settled. We have Expedition Commander Chris - GAI '07 at the helm and Casey the Navigator at the GPS. With E&B at the controls of Chief Security Investigator (or is that instigator?), and Sandy responsible for the commissary, the expedition is ready to tackle the remaining logistics. Any one else interested in 'talking about' a long river run in the north in '07? Fun to plan and helps dispel the winter 'blahs' -- and no commitment at this point for anyone -- just batting around ideas.

1. What river? Jay is experienced in travel on Canadian and Alaska arctic rivers. He is suggesting the Upper Yukon as a "good, clean, easier access river." Sounds appealing to us. We need to get more logistical information from Jay -- perhaps a brief summary of his trip so we can evaluate details of launch site, retrieval point, fuel stops, hazards, and other ideas. Sounds like a task for the Navigator, what do you think Casey? Maybe start another thread just on the Upper Yukon to keep the info separated? With info at hand, we can better evaluate which river would be best for the GAI.

2. Wandering Sagebrush has a good suggestion with Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak. El read that one years back when we were driving the Dempster Highway -- a great tale of adventure through the NW Passage by kayak. Victoria Jason, the author, finished her trip by paddling down the Mackenzie and closing her loop back to Gjoa Haven to the east. Good info.

3. Ron has good info on the Mackenzie and his suggested site on the canoe run down the river has excellent info on the Mackenzie -- perhaps Ron has some info on gas supply points possible on the river and any other ideas -- in fact, he might want to be the Canadian Commander and have a joint operation, at least for the planning sessions if he can't actually make an arctic run.

4. Caty Mae n Steve -- We have rafted the MacKenzie River in Oregon and it is one fine white-water trip. Only dumped two rafts, and one was with our son Brad at the sweep. Others will have to speak of the fishing, we were too busy paddling.

5. Yep, Chris, you have your security clearance back -- but you have to admit, Commander, it was a good ploy.

El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny --
We think it is best to discuss the '06 plans on their own thread, rather than on the Mackenzie thread -- and we leave Thursday for those Ships of the Desert, so will be out of contact for awhile.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

Jo-Lee and I met you @ El as we were loading the boat at Bridge Bay in Yellowstone in Aug 2003. We had a wonderful 45 min chat with you two, before we, pressed for time had to leave. This was just after our return from our 1st Alaska Yukon trip with the C Dory.

Our Alaska ect. trip that year was a 3 week whiralwind like tour from Wyoming, that included exploring several Yukon River headwater lakes, the Inland Passage from Skagway to the Taku River inlet and the upper Yukon River. We had planned on doing the yukon river 1st, but could't find a good place to leave the pick-up and trailer after boat launching at Whitehorse so at that point decided to explore the lakes and then head to Skayway. After the lakes and ocean we had just enough time to make a quick run on the yukon river.

I would try to do a quick description of the trip, but don't know if this is the time or place that it should be done. I have very little experience with writeing, computors or site ediquit. Advice would be appreciated.

El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief Navigator Casey and Commander Chris --
In light of the post from HunkyDory, we have started a thread on the Upper Yukon to keep the data on the two rivers separate -- trust that's ok, ... sir?
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

I am not aware of a thread dealing with the NW area you plan to travel in 06 after leaving Lake Powell.

Point me to it. I'll post the same questions there.

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny...

Sounds like you may be thinking what we're thinking.... BC, and maybe Alaska this summer, and maybe the out-of-the-closet MacKenzie idea for '07. Lordy, the possibilities.

Makes me wish we'd signed-on for the Canal and Lakes Adventure last summer (...still want to to that, but current planning is getting too far out with other options!)

Back to the present.

You REALLY need to be thinking about Lake Powell in April. From the sounds of it, that may become a planning session for this summer and beyond. Besides, I suspect we can get Bill to offer a 2-credit course in Glen Canyon geology. And the way you like to take pictures - Lake Powell will use up ALL your film (...er, bytes). Then you could even offer floating course in digital photopraphy!

Gee's ... is this how "Elderhostel" began?

Strike that. I didn't say that.

As to bulk purchase of bug dope (MacKenzie '07...), I figure to just convert one of my fuel tanks to Deet! (Note to Self: determine if the Wallas will run on Deet. Kill two bugs with one stone! er, something like that)

Over to you....

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Casey -- still chuckling over the DEET in the Wallas -- and George start up a post on BC-AK if you wish -- might get input from other Brats -- otherwise, we'll sit around a flickering campfire deep in the canyons of the Escalante, watch the reflections off the sheer walls of sandstone rising hundreds of feet overhead, hear the distant call of a coyote, sip deep on a good Mendoza wine, and ponder summer thoughts ...
El and Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought we should bring this back up to the forefront, since there is a discussion of the NWT going on. Anyone still interested in doing the MacKenzie River this summer?? Maybe join along for part of the trip with the boat from Germany??
ORCA

City/Region: germany
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: ORCA
Photos: ORCA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If anybody need "ANY" information on the yukon river,

well here i am. I paddled and motored the yukon river from whitehorse till the end 7 times... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Check out my website:

http://www.long-expeditions.de

I have over 2000 GPS points of the yukon and belive me i know any cabin up there Very Happy Wink

Regard from Germany

Chris

Happy are they who dream dreams...And have the courage to make them come true !
El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris --
Interesting website -- some of us were discussing last winter/spring the possibility of a cruise down the MacKenzie River this summer. I don't know if there is still any interest among the C-Brats for such a cruise. Is there?

Do you have approximate dates when you might be heading down the Mac? Also, how do you plan to get your boat back from Inuvik? We were considering a run back up river to our starting point.
ORCA

City/Region: germany
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: ORCA
Photos: ORCA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

@ Halcyon

I don't know the exact dates yet, the problem is that we never know how long we have to film at one point.
Some times i have to wait days/weeks to get some good footage of animals... Very Happy
We will have a Satellite Phone on board so communication will be possible 24/7 Smile Thumbs Up

We will drive the boat back from Inuvik to Michigan, over the Dempster HWY and the Alaska HWY in late October Thumbs Up Very Happy

PS: I know i have to translate my website into english...

Regards Chris
http://www.long-expeditions.de
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris --
Your website is great and pictures say a thousand words, anyway, so don't worry about translating.

Keep the group posted with your plans. It appears there are no other C-Brats who would be thinking about a run down the Mac this summer. El and I will continue pondering and sure let you know if we will be up in 'your' country. It would be interesting to cross wakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: