The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD-22 and Ford Explorer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iggy

City/Region: Hillsboro, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Edward Gallaher
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: CD-22 and Ford Explorer Reply with quote

Anyone with CD-22 and Explorer?

6-cyl 4WD with towing package; 1996 low mileage about 80K, excellent condition. Rated at 5000 lb total tow limit. I'm aware of the limitations, weights, brake issues etc discussed elsewhere, including TOTAL weight incl passengers and gear in the vehicle.

Question If we pay attention to these issues will it be 'adequate'? Barely adequate? Fully functional?

Probaby not a speed demon going uphill . . . ?

I would add brakes for sure. Don't want Smile going down hill!

Appreciate any reports of first-hand experience.

e.g.
iggy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Posted this under fishing instead of general chat group.

Embarassed

Could one of the helpful new moderators please put this thread where it belongs? I don't know how to do it.

Confused

Thanks,

e.g.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somethings weird with the forum this morning.

Last edited by flapbreaker on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggy I have the Ford sport trac which I believe have similar specs. I have a 5000 lb tow limit as well. It does surprisingly well. I have the dual axle trailer with disk breaks and I don't feel it when stopping. Yes you will feel it getting it rolling but it's not too bad. I have taken it over to Tillamook with 3 adults and two children with crab pots (only about 10 gallons of gas though) and at the steepest climb over the cascades I could still maintain 45-50 mph. Otherwise I could maintain the speed limit. Freeways are no problem it just takes a little longer than normal to get up to speed. Hope this helps.

PS since this photo I added something called a Roadmaster suspension kit to the sport trac since they have very soft factory suspension. They basically go on the rear leafsprings. It helped raise the back of the rig up a little but mainly the boat doesn't bounce the back end anymore and cornering is great. Very little body roll. These might not help much on the explorer if they have better suspension.
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Explorer vs. C-Dory Reply with quote

I've got a 2002 Explorer V-8 with tow package and it's "rated" at 7,900 pounds. My 25' C-Dory is too much of a load for my otherwise trusty Ford so I'm looking for a 3/4 ton Suburban with Quadrasteer and a high rear end. I figure the C-Dory and trailer weigh better than 3 tons and the Explorer dripping wet only weighs 2 tons. Hence, a 9,000 pound Suburban makes the physics a bit healthier for all involved.
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the v-6. 1996. Not the best for dragging a 22' C-Dory but it does work. I ask allot from the Ford Explorer. Mine sees 4WD almost once a day when its winter. The 4wd low snaps a 22' from the drink with ease. But up hills it grunts a little . I have not "yet" had issues with control on the road. Im looking at replacing with a V-8 with some snort to pull the 22 with no questions asked. THe 22' is a little boat compared to most. However your asking allot from the V-6 when the hills get high when pulling a 22. I did see a guy pulling a 22 with a car past my house once. It was a Lexus......I just giggled.

Christopher Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember about the Explorers, the V-6 model actually weighs more than the V-8 with its all aluminum block engine. Good for power, bad for braking.
Notayot

State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1998 Explorer (5,800# towing) with the high numerical ratio axles and traction lock on rear axle, 124,000 miles. It tows the 22 OK, but it groans and moans on the hills. I have a 2004 Ranger (18,000 miles)with the same SOHC 205 hp engine but 2 wheel drive and traction lock axle. Both were purchased with the factory towing package for maximum towing capability. It pulls the 22 easily up and down hills and freeway easily at 60+ with no complaints. I have never had a wheel even begin to spin while retrieving at any launch from Oympia to Port Angeles. The Ranger weighs 1000# less than the Explorer however (3,500# vs 4,500#) but handles the boat MUCH easier at low and high speeds and while cornering. Mileage with either is about 11 mpg while towing but 21 for Explorer and 23 for Ranger when not towing. Stopping is actually a non event. The 4 wheel surge disc brakes on the Pacific trailer bring the whole shebang to a stop as easy as the vehicle alone. I have about 1,000 miles towing since we bought Notayot last August, but many thousands more with earlier boats (before C-Dory).

DWB

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjhantzis,

For a point of reference in case you haven't had a chance to weigh your rig, mine weighed in a 7400 lbs with its approx 2000 lb trailer, full gas tank (100 gal), 10 gal water, all regular equipment on board. I tow it with an "03 Expedition rated at 8700 lbs (4x4), tows great.
iggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left for a trip on March 4 so didn't have a chance to respond to all these replies.

That's just the sort of information I was looking for (and, of course, expected to receive . . . ) Smile

Thanks,

e.g.
Midwatch

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Midwatch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Trailering on the Alcan Reply with quote

We have a 2002 V-6 Explorer with towing package that we will use in three weeks to drive from Cordova (actually Valdez since we have to take the ferry from Cordova) Alaska through Canada to the C-Dory factory to pick up our new 22 Cruiser and back. We'll try to remember to post how the trailering went in this forum.

Thanks for the great info!

"Land is just another hazard to navigation."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: