The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Let's talk 23 Ventures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note, srbaum corrected me that the Venture 26 is not self bailing.

As for the 25's, there has been a variation of where the outlet of the scuppers was placed and several had them placed where back flooding was frequent. The 2007 C Dory 25 we last owned did self bail, even with 3 batteries, full fuel, and water, plus the freezer in the aft end of the cockpit . We may have had enough weight forward to keep the boat in a better balance, or our boat had the scuppers at the correct height.

There have been a couple of incidents where when anchored stern too, that there was flooding of a C Dory 25's cockpit. Also I believe one incident where a wave did break over the cockpit and caused flooding. Our experience with "normal use" we have not had issues.

I don't believe there has been an official Powell gathering this year, and minimal gatherings the last several years, with COVID and the low lake levels. Hopefully this gathering will be back on track in the future. They are normally Oak Creek Canyon. Often several boats will scope out a site, and "preserve it " for the main event, where there have been over a dozen boats.

The times at Powell you want to be off the beach are the major storm events with potential high winds and flash flooding. Powell was one of our favorite places. We had kept one of our C Dorys in Los Vegas at a friend's ranch and a 1 ton van to tow it with. It was a good place to stage trips to Powell, Yellowstone, PNW, San Francisco and S. Calif.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fisharizona wrote:

What an incredible resource this site is. You all have helped me tremendously. It's tough when you live in AZ and have never even seen one in person! Im starting to think I need to find you all at the next Lake Powell event.

Hey Fisharizona,
You're right, it is tough to find a real, live, C-Dory to look at to see if it's something that might fit your needs. With your crew of four, and all of you being 6+' tall, a 25 would probably make more sense . Several years before we got our 22 we had the opportunity to check one out up in Phoenix. The gentleman who showed us his 22 also owned a 25 and that 25 was HUGE compared to the 22. I was quite astonished at the difference when comparing them side by side like that.

For the Mrs and I, the 22 is perfect. We've had some "rent-a-grandkid" kids (5 and 6 year old's that belong to some friends) join us for a couple of nights and that worked out fine with them sleeping in the v-berth with my wife, and me on the dinette. Anything more than that, for longer than a couple of nights, would probably be a bit uncomfortable.

Having said that, if you want to check out a standard "low" top 22, we're heading to Powell for a couple of weeks starting this weekend. Let me know and we'll see if we can figure something out.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Tucson so am I.
I don't have a 22 to show you but, if interested, a 25 cruiser.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, just realized you are not near Tucson but in NW Arizona.
Never mind.
fisharizona

City/Region: High Desert
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’re down on that area a lot in the winter months. I’d love to see a 25 in person. I’ll reach out. Thanks!
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beam for the different models is critical:
1. CD22 = 7’8” beam, reason why I moved up to the CD25
2. CD23 = 8’ beam, learned something new its larger than the CD 22
3. CD25 = 8’6” beam - largest beam for towing, does not need a wide load sign when towing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: