The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need help increasing tongue weight!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finally2

City/Region: Los Osos
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finally2
Photos: Finally2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Need help increasing tongue weight! Reply with quote

Used to tow with a 2500 diesel. No sway. Now tow with a Lexus 460gx (6500lb tow capacity) and am getting tons of sway especially above 50mph. 55 is sketchy. It’s on a tandem axel trailer with twin Yamaha 50hp. Only thing weight wise I have added is two 12v house batteries under the stern-most port seat.

I purchased a tongue weight scale and it says ONLY 150lbs! My transom is on the bunks. What can I do?? Traveling with no gas isn’t an option. I know these are stern heavy but 150lbs is ridiculous. Any ideas? Help please
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 22's, with the trailer, weigh around 5000 lbs. A tongue weight for a boat should be around 5-7%, so you should have around 300 lbs (250-350) tongue weight. Is there anyway you can move the bow stop up more? This would allow the boat to be loaded farther forward on the trailer. The transom should be supported by the bunks, and ideally the bunks will end just at the back of the boat. If you can move the bow stop forward, and then the boat, you may need to move the bunks forward more also. Other options that might help somewhat is to install a spare tire carrier and spare tire on the front of the boat trailer. That's not going to add a lot of weight, but might help as you get closer to target weight while moving the boat forward. Also, is the trailer the appropriate size for the boat?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is moving the axles of the trailer rearward. Depending on the design of the trailer this might not be too difficult. On my trailer the axles are just bolted onto the trailer frame. Trick would be determining how far they need to be moved.
Finally2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys imma call to get my axels moved
WCF

City/Region: Central
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weighed my tongue and found it light.

It took me no more than fifteen minutes to slide the boat forward on the trailer and correct the problem: I only had to move the winch tower, then winch the boat forward. The flat bottom of the C-Dory means it is unlikely you will need to move your bunks or rollers.
Finally2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far did you move it forward? I have MAYBE 1.5 in of room on the tongue. Did you do this at your house. Feel like imma have to float the boat to be able to crank it forward once I move the winch post
WCF

City/Region: Central
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a very different trailer design. I did have to adjust the position of my jack, but no other changes were needed.

I moved mine about 8 inches but had room to move further. I did it in my driveway, which slopes slightly in the direction I needed to move the boat (lowering the tongue could produce the same angle.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: