The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Camper tops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donald Tyson

Photos: Donald Tyson
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Camper tops Reply with quote

I’ve noticed that many of you have camper tops added to the rear deck area of your boats. This goes pretty much for all sizes. My question is how waterproof is the seal between the camper top and your cabins? Is that rear camper area waterproof enough to have upholstered furniture in?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Bimini's are made of Sunbrella. This is generally water proof, but does "breath" to some degree. The proper attachment to the cabin top is a vinyl or aluminum awning rail, slotted track and a bolt rope slides into it. There a number of non permeable fabrics which if properly assembled are totally waterproof, but do not breathe and thus are more likely to develop mold because of high humudy on the water. This cabin to Bimini top seal, usually involves zippers and velcro over to make it totally water proof for most rain events. Hurricanes: all fabrics outside come off the boat.

Fabric such as Sunbrella, do fine. Others non marine fabrics do not do as well. See SailRite web site for other materials. Would I leave my living room sofa there? No.

If you are speaking of a full "camper back" Again it depends on materials and how they are made and correctly fitted to the boat. A good camper back may cost upward of $6,000. The canvas maker should fit it for your specific boat and needs. There are many configurations.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Donald Tyson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the thorough description. I am familiar with Sunbrella and never have I felt it was extremely waterproof but it does OK. 6000+ or minus, wow. I’m in a big long learning curve.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald Tyson wrote:
Thank you for the thorough description. I am familiar with Sunbrella and never have I felt it was extremely waterproof but it does OK. 6000+ or minus, wow. I’m in a big long learning curve.

Have been making Sunbrella items for over 50 years (including fabricating boat and sail covers.) It is touted as water resistant & warrantee of 10 years. if sewn with UV resistant thread. cleaned at least yearly & treated with the 303 for Sunbrella it will last over 15 years. My current Caracal console cover is 16 years old. I got a tear when trailering this March.. My fault.

If you don't want to sew, Shelter-Rite glues with HL 66 TO be fully waterproof, but is more subject to mold. It costs $23 a 61" wide running foot. It is tough enough to repair the floor on a PVC inflatable boat. I believe you could build an inflatable boat with it.
Donald Tyson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. I’ll not sew my own lest they call me the Flapper.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost depends upon location. I had a full bimini and sides made for under $3000 on a 22. However that was about 10 years ago. For comparison, the same guy has done all my canvas work. That 22 cost around $1400 for a full cover. That was also about 10 years ago. This year I had a new full cover made for my 25. (More material), and the total cost was around $2700. I decided I did not use the side curtians around the bimini enough to make it worth the cost, so I just had a bimini only made for my 25. The 22's cockpit stayed pretty dry in the rain with the full curtains and bimini on. The material was sunbrella. I think that cost was around $1400 two years ago, but I would have to look it up. Colby
Donald Tyson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Colby I appreciate the first hand testimonial. One must take this into consideration when deciding btwn the Angler and Cruiser hulls. For instance I feel that with a 22 Cruiser I'd be fine with just a Bimini.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canvas products have increased significantly in price in the last 10 years!!

I had a quote by an excellent canvas worker of $5,500 5 years ago for my CDory 25 which already had a good SS frame. The waiting time was 9 months at that time. There is also a wide variety of quality of seamsters. That is why the canvas worker may keep the boat his shop or visit the boat several times.I have seen good & not so good from King Canvas who used to do most CDory canvas work.

Stainless pipe or double wall SS tubbing is more than 5/8" aluminum tube. clear vinyl costs will be all over the place
Strataglass™ 60 Gauge Vinyl Window Material 54" x 110" Clear is $771 per panel.
comparable 60 gauge is about $66 for similar sheet. the mimum I would consider is 20 gauge roll for that same size would cost about $16!

Tenara® Tex 92 Clear best UV resistant thread is 8 oz for $150, plain Dacron for $15 for 8 oz /7 is much easier to sew with.

Sunbrella is now $39 a running yard 60" wide, you can find acrylic marine fabrics for as $9 a running yard!!

There is even a large spectrum of quality of fabricators and how seams are made and finished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: