The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Ultimate Winter Boating Place in the U.S.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundog

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: SUNDOG
Photos: Sundog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: The Ultimate Winter Boating Place in the U.S. Reply with quote

O.K. when you live in Alaska, you start dreaming this time of year of places that are like Prince William Sound in July. So the question I would like to pose is this; in the winter Nov-March, what would be the number 1 place for boating in the U.S.. The reason I ask is my wife and I are dreaming up pulling our boat out one of these winters for a winter getaway - sort of mix work and boating for a winter and I was curious what you more southernly boaters call the Nirvana of winter boating.

Cheers,

Sundog Crew
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being unexotic, I'd like to say the San Juans are a super off-season site. Virtually the whole place is yours, with large fashion plates idled at yacht clubs, strutting owners ensconced in executive suites.
When the weather is good, it's great; when not, well, it's just like home.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Channel Islands off Southern California offer unparalleled boating this time of year. Everyone starts thinking BOATING in the summer-- bummer, summer tends to be windy more often then not.
I vote Channel Islands

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US? Gotta be Hawaii or USVI! Cool

-- Chuck
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Winter Boating Place in the U.S. Reply with quote

Well, this Saturday a little C-Pod will be day cruising on Lake Washington and Lake Union, and we have cruised somewhere every month this year....Last month a Snohomish River day cruise on a beautiful sunny November day. Lots of overnighters in the warmer months and some months that were not so warm (March in Olympia in South Puget Sound and November at Cornet Bay on Whidbey Island). And we are eyeing the San Juans all year long as Catman notes, it more depends on weather forecast (wind and fog) than anything else. I don't call that too bad! Maybe Hawaii or Florida for a certain crowd or type of boat but NOT for us! A Wallas is a definite plus though...So Western Washington treats us pretty well the 12 months through. So I could call this the ultimate - C-Dorys are not made for water skiing, after all...
Sundog wrote:
O.K. when you live in Alaska, you start dreaming this time of year of places that are like Prince William Sound in July. So the question I would like to pose is this; in the winter Nov-March, what would be the number 1 place for boating in the U.S.. Cheers,

Sundog Crew

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that a family from Fairbanks, Alaska would want to do more than exchange winter snow for winter rain with the same gray skies overhead day after day. After all, it's this type of weather that leads to the depression syndrome so common in the Northwest.

While I doubt I'd ship my C-Dory to Hawaii or the U.S.V.I., I could very easily spend a month or so in Southern California, particularly down in the San Diego area, and then trail accross the Southwest to the Gulf Coast, cruising some of the most interesting places and spending much of the time in Florida. Take me to someplace tropical and warm and let me escape the bone chilling and mind dulling cold of winter. After about 6 weeks of continual rain here in Northern California, I'd really like to do just that myself!

The two people who can most accurately answer this question are El and Bill of Halcyon. They've cruised just about everywhere in the U.S. imaginable, Hopefully they're just temporarily out of touch with their family visiting and will post on this interesting topic soon. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sundog

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: SUNDOG
Photos: Sundog
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sea Wolf,

My sentiments exactly - one correction though - we are in Anchorage - which is not a huge difference in the overall mind numbing cold that you describe.

With a 2 year old and one due in about 3 weeks I am thinking some where warm so look forward to more southernly boaters weighing in on the ultimate boating spots for the winter. It is likely not just one spot but an assortment. I simply have this crazy idea next year instead of winterizing my boat, simply hooking on to it and heading south (way south) - of course there is the whole economics issue but I do run an internet company - it should be possible.

Thanks for humoring my dreaming - I do look forward to El and Bill of Halcyon weighing in on this.

Cheers,

Sundog Crew
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundog crew --
We just got to an online computer so can give a reply. We would vote for any of the following:
1. The St. Johns River in Florida
2. The Everglades, Keys. and SW Florida
3. The Alabama Horseshoe
4. The far SW coast of Texas
Certainly, Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands, or Hawaii would be great, but cost to get there might exceed an average cruisers budget.
We're hoping that Lakes Mead and Mojave in NV/AZ will prove to be good cruising in February. We were on Lake Mead in December 2000, and it was delightful -- even swimming weather, but we think we were lucky that year.
So -- for some daydreaming, you might turn to some of our Alabama, Florida, or Texas locations on the Halcyon Days webpage, pour out a good summertime drink, turn up the heat, close your eyes, and cruise .....
El and Bill on Halcyon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: The Ultimate Winter Boating Place Reply with quote

Report from Perdido Bay--the borderline between Pensacola Florida and Alabama where I live. The temperature this evening will be down in the low 30's--the daytime temperature today was 65. The temperature can vary from the high 20's (very rare) to the mid 50's at night and from the high 50's to the mid 70's in the day. We had several days in the mid 70's this week. Mostly sunshine. Lots of great cruising--and a free dock for any C dory members who adventure down this way. If you think S. Florida would be much better, it is predicted to be 32 tonight in the Punta Gorda area--South of Tampa.

I lived most of my life, and boated many winter days in the channel Islands. The advantage is that there are not many other boats. Generally the weather is similar to North Florida/Alabama.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: