View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Dockage at the Jacksonville Metropolitan Park Marina Reply with quote

Planning a boat adventure to Jacksonville Fl. area, then up to Cumberland Island, Ga. in a couple of weeks. Looking for any marina recommendations and was wondering how secure the dockage at the Jacksonville Metropolitan Park Marina is?
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed there a few times including last Christmas Day at the end of our Loop.
No Problems. Have a fun trip!

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only stayed there once. At that time there were very few permeant boats. The tidal current was swift. We didn't see any security issues, but homeless peoples have become more common. There is a ferry to down town. We were told that we should be very careful walking to the Grocery store--there was a "bad part of town" we would have to walk through. However I believe you could get an uber there easily.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

There’s no showers, check online as it’s not free when stadium events are on. Out of the way unless you want to see Jacksonville. There are 6 MPH manatee zones between the bridges. At the North end of Pablo Creek ATONS have been changed from what's on the Garmin 2023 G3 chip.

We liked Titusville City Marina (see online schedule for rocket launches), Coquina Marina (Daytona with nice pool and gym), St Augustine City Marina (though a wicked cross current), Amelia Island Marina (very well protected, some trains) and the rebuilt Fernandina marina (no protection, same trains).

Approaching Cumberland Island, allow up to 1.5 hours delay if a nuclear sub is coming or going…all vessels full stop… and keep a VHF radio on 16. Georgia tides can be ten vertical feet, so you may want to anchor in the first big creek near the southwest tip of Cumberland. Some boaters have told us they got all the way to the Dungeness boardwalk on high tides.

You already know the test question: The navigation light on a submarine is flashing yellow.

Are you doing an Out and Back? There’s not many convenient take out boat ramps near a marina.

If you don’t already have it, consider getting AquaMaps on a tablet and download the area maps before you leave. It’s the ONLY app that shows you SM# (just touch the ICW dotted line at your boat) and No Wake zones. No cell service is needed once your maps are downloaded.

Stay cool and Safe travels!

John

-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations from the seasoned ICW crowd! Downloading the app now. Looks pretty awesome.

We plan putting in either at Jim King or Joe Carlucci Sisters Creek boat ramp. Sailing South 8 miles on the ICW to Palm Cove Marina (first night). Then heading back north to do the entrance of the St. John’s River, making our way to Jacksonville Metropolitan Park docks (night 2). I Was concerned about people trying boarding the boat at night. Thanks for the information, it seems like a safe place to spend a night. Our showers on the boat, have gotten a lot better. Day three, dock hop around the city, maybe if time allows, continue down the St. John’s turning around to spend (night 3) at Metropolitan Park Docks for one more night. Next day, pull boat out, trailer up to Fernandina Beach Public Boat Ramp. Sail South to the Amelia Island Marina downtown. Plan-on 3 nights stay, to explore some of the ICW north and south. Should be out of clean clothes, pull the boat, head back to the house. (or laundry mat, he he) Going back to work, always gets in the way. Dammit.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Waypoint- wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations from the seasoned ICW crowd! Downloading the app now. Looks pretty awesome.

We plan putting in either at Jim King or Joe Carlucci Sisters Creek boat ramp. Sailing South 8 miles on the ICW to Palm Cove Marina (first night). Then heading back north to do the entrance of the St. John’s River, making our way to Jacksonville Metropolitan Park docks (night 2). I Was concerned about people trying boarding the boat at night. Thanks for the information, it seems like a safe place to spend a night. Our showers on the boat, have gotten a lot better. Day three, dock hop around the city, maybe if time allows, continue down the St. John’s turning around to spend (night 3) at Metropolitan Park Docks for one more night. Next day, pull boat out, trailer up to Fernandina Beach Public Boat Ramp. Sail South to the Amelia Island Marina downtown. Plan-on 3 nights stay, to explore some of the ICW north and south. Should be out of clean clothes, pull the boat, head back to the house. (or laundry mat, he he) Going back to work, always gets in the way. Dammit.

I've stayed in that Metropolitan Marina a few times with no issues. Walked to the grocery store and didn't feel unsafe. However, the last time I stayed at that free dock behind Jim King Park, I had some yahoo board my vessel at night while I was sleeping. Wife woke me up. This jerks friend somehow managed to get his fishing lure wound around my bimini frame and the yahoo was on board trying to untangle it. I came out my cabin door pretty pissed and asking the guy WTF he was doing. Foreigner in his broken English kept repeating sorry friend, sorry friend, as he continued to try to dislodge the lure. Afterthought I'm not sure how wise it was for me to come out like that, and not sure how wise it was for him to be on my boat. In all ended well as he got the lure free and then they left our end of the dock. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: