The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Solar Panel Basics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Solar Panel Basics Reply with quote

Starting a new thread and hoping to keep it simple. I'm thinking of adding solar to C-Traveler. I want something portable and probably flexible that is easy to store without taking up a lot of space, and easy to deploy when needed. I have two group 29 house batteries wired in parallel that I will use the solar panels to recharge during the day while not running (Ie sitting on the hook or at docks without shore power and not using my generator or outboard). With my Engel freezer on board, I typically wake up with around 75-78% showing on my Vectron meter. Without the freezer, around 88-90%. I'm thinking 200 watts would be enough. What are others using, how are you storing and deploying it? Colby
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I ended up with was 2 130 watt panels from Overland Solar not cheap but they fold up the most compact. I use them for offroad and the boat.

You could also look at the BLUETTI Solar Panel PV200, 200 Watt for Portable Power Station it doesn't fold up as small but the price is better.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overland setup looks appealing.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, we have a Renogy 100 watt flexible solar panel. It weights only 4 lbs. and stores flat against the port side hull, under the dinette. When facing the sun, it keeps the 24 series lead acid house battery fully charged with the refrigerator running on low setting during the heat of the day. Having two panels could be better. It all depends on your power consumption.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, I think the Overland would be out of my price range. Gary, I've been looking at their 200 watt panel that comes with a 40 amp controller. Just not sure what size that is and if it would store easily. I think I've also seen some of their rigid units that might fold up to something doable as well. Just not sure how well a rigid panel would mount on the boat. Not even sure where I'd mount it. Sometimes my roof is empty. Other times it has a bike rack with bikes, or a kayak rack with kayaks. Both of these racks mount to the hand rails and then sit perpendicular on top the roof. I could place the solar panel on my bimini, but it's not always up... Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Jody, I think the Overland would be out of my price range. Gary, I've been looking at their 200 watt panel that comes with a 40 amp controller. Just not sure what size that is and if it would store easily. I think I've also seen some of their rigid units that might fold up to something doable as well. Just not sure how well a rigid panel would mount on the boat. Not even sure where I'd mount it. Sometimes my roof is empty. Other times it has a bike rack with bikes, or a kayak rack with kayaks. Both of these racks mount to the hand rails and then sit perpendicular on top the roof. I could place the solar panel on my bimini, but it's not always up... Colby

Your examples are why the Overland panel would be great to have.

I don't like the price either though.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have about 80 watts of solar on Mistaya and I am planning on adding more. Our current set up has two 10 watt hard panels mounted on the radar arch on either side of the radar. I also use two 30 watt flexible panels that can be tied onto the top of kayaks, on the roof or on the bimini. These can be easily stored in the v-berth when not needed. I also purchased a 50 watt square flexible panel that I plan to mount on the forward Bowmar hatch. So far the system has worked well as I am a minimal electrical user. Once we are on the hook, I play the radio and run the Wabatso and or Wallace heaters if needed. No fridge or freezer. In good sunlight I have enough capacity, but decided to add the 50 watt panel for those cloudy rainy days on the PNW. All of these panels run through a charge controller.

I think a couple of flexible panels may be your best option Colby, they can go on top of the cabin, bimini or your kayak depending on your need and then removed for transport. To keep your ice cream frozen you are probably going to need 200 watts. I think this is a better option than always having to run a generator. Personally I really don't like generators when camping and boating, they really take away from the peace and quiet that I am seeking. But then some of us enjoy ice cream and are willing to put up with the noise.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.zampsolar.com makes a lot of different configurations for RV's, you might take a look there. We have a pair of their 170 watt panels on the roof of our camp trailer and a port to plug in one of their portable suitcase type models if we need more watts....they all seem to work
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

I bought the 48x22 Renogy $140 100w flexible panel because it fits on the curved roof behind the Coleman AC unit. It can be stored in the aft head hanging up. Later I decided to just glue it down on the roof (Renogy advises a structural silicone adhesive). I’m going to put it over some plastic corrugated ‘cardboard’ for heat dispersion. This would allow some battery charging while trailering in addition to the Road Toad. Renogy says NOT to use the six brass grommets when moving. I don’t see why you couldn’t also glue it to your roof even with your racks attached to the hand rails. The 200w panel is 63x 30, maybe too big.

https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-volt-flexible-monocrystalline-solar-panel/

We have thunderstorms with 75 MPH winds so I wouldn’t like a temporary bimini tie down around here.

Put a towel over the panel if unplugging or plugging it in the sun…it will arc with 15 amps DC.

Wiring is solid copper 12 AWG. Fully tinned stranded Ancor 10G is better for boating, easier to handle and makes a tighter curve when installing. So buy the connectors but not the extension cords.

There are limits re connecting different panels with different cell numbers/types etc.

The controller (I chose Victron) must be protected inside.

Renogy US tech support is very helpful, call or chat with them before you buy.

Best of luck in finding a solution that works. At least they’re getting cheaper all the time.

John

Esmi2

City/Region: San Luis Obispo, CA
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
www.zampsolar.com makes a lot of different configurations for RV's, you might take a look there. We have a pair of their 170 watt panels on the roof of our camp trailer and a port to plug in one of their portable suitcase type models if we need more watts....they all seem to work

X2 on ZAMP solar. I have a pair of their portable 170W panels and like them a lot. (I like them a lot in my truck camper -- I still don't have a C-Dory yet).

I have been told that what you really want to focus on is a MPPT charge controller. These higher-end controllers are able to use much more of the energy created by the panels. This is due to graphing and math, which I can't explain for I do not understand. But hopefully someone will chime in with the importance of an MPPT controller! Smile

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could also look at the BLUETTI Solar Panel PV200, 200 Watt for Portable Power Station it doesn't fold up as small but the price is better.

I missed that last sentence Jody. That's more in my price range and consideration. I am wondering what the efficiency rate means. This one shows only 23.4%. Thanks. Colby
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at a glass panel from BougeRV and there rating

BougeRV 9BB Cell 200 Watts Mono Solar Panel,22.8% High Efficiency Module Monocrystalline Technology

I can't say how they get that number but it looks like the glass panel and the folding panel are about the same.

The trick is you need to be able to aim the panels at the sun. If they are laying flat on the roof you are going to get poor performance out of the panel. You can experiment with this just out on the ground. With a 100 watt panel aimed at the sun you should be able to get 5 or 6 amps out of that panel that should more than keep up with a fridge and a few extras. My reason for the Overland panel is because of how compact it is for storage and it has d-rings sew in the edges so I can hang it off the side of the boat or off the Bimini, on top of the Bimini or on top of the dingi. I think if you mount the panel you have to live with poor performance and your kind of stuck. Being able to move the position makes them much more effective at giving you the best output.

My DC to DC charger will keep my batteries up when I'm towing and when the boat is moving from day to day. So the only time you need the panels is when you get stuck somewhere for multiple days. Then if the weather is bad your stuck with the generator. Being stuck at the dock like you were was the perfect time to have solar and it probably could have been setup on the dock.

The Most Efficient Solar Panels In 2023
EnergySage
https://news.energysage.com › what-are-the-most-effic...
May 18, 2023 — Today, most solar panels are between 17% and 20% efficient, with outliers on either side of the range. High-efficiency solar panels exceed 22% ...
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Solar Roof Reply with quote

Not to change the subject, but I live in Florida (Jacksonville area) and with hurricane season upon us im thinking of going with a Solar Roof with a Power Wall by Tesla.

I can't really see the long-term value of a whole house generator which, if not used frequently, would require maintenance incl periodically changing out the old gas with fresh, carb, filters, spark plugs and potentially not being able to buy gas to operate if the power goes out for an extended time.

Ive read where some homeowners can run everything in the home incl AC and appliances and stay off the grid as long as necessary with the right amount of roof solar panels and power wall battery storage set up.

Has anyone had positive experiences with house solar systems? Setups? References to reputable companies?

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text

Last edited by CaptMac on Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when considering the purchase of flexible panels. This video is five years old, but is well worth watching to the end. Also, you can click on his profile to see all his videos and then search for "flexible" to see some more recent tests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMZ_dRSFUs&t=205s

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
looking at a glass panel from BougeRV and there rating

BougeRV 9BB Cell 200 Watts Mono Solar Panel,22.8% High Efficiency Module Monocrystalline Technology

I can't say how they get that number but it looks like the glass panel and the folding panel are about the same.

The trick is you need to be able to aim the panels at the sun. If they are laying flat on the roof you are going to get poor performance out of the panel. You can experiment with this just out on the ground. With a 100 watt panel aimed at the sun you should be able to get 5 or 6 amps out of that panel that should more than keep up with a fridge and a few extras. My reason for the Overland panel is because of how compact it is for storage and it has d-rings sew in the edges so I can hang it off the side of the boat or off the Bimini, on top of the Bimini or on top of the dingi. I think if you mount the panel you have to live with poor performance and your kind of stuck. Being able to move the position makes them much more effective at giving you the best output.

My DC to DC charger will keep my batteries up when I'm towing and when the boat is moving from day to day. So the only time you need the panels is when you get stuck somewhere for multiple days. Then if the weather is bad your stuck with the generator. Being stuck at the dock like you were was the perfect time to have solar and it probably could have been setup on the dock.

The Most Efficient Solar Panels In 2023
EnergySage
https://news.energysage.com › what-are-the-most-effic...
May 18, 2023 — Today, most solar panels are between 17% and 20% efficient, with outliers on either side of the range. High-efficiency solar panels exceed 22% ...

That system is looking more worth the cost. I’ll have to look again, but does it include everything needed? And I wonder if 130 watts would suffice. I suspect the combined freezer and frig running use 5-6 amps. I know my toad 10 gauge wiring from the pickup can barely maintain the current battery State with both freezer and fridg running, however with only the fridge it can also slowly bring the battery state back up to 100%. I’m also thinking when traveling unless I can find a way to secure the panel to the roof I would just secure it on the cockpit floor. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: