The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Floatation Foam: Pour vs Mold Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSt

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Floatation Foam: Pour vs Mold Advice Reply with quote

I am trying to determine the best approach to to adding buoyancy foam to my 1990 16' Angler. The factory gunwales are open to the deck (i.e. an upside down U channel rather than enclosed). The boat came with two long trapezoids of old Styrofoam that (sort of) lock into position.

Option one:
Glass the bottom and sides of the gunwales (I enjoy doing glass work). Place 2-3" conduit and pour. Add drain holes? I think I would get ~%20 more volume, which would allow for more cut-outs and storage.

Option two:
Create a mold and pour new foam that conforms to the original trapezoid removal pieces. Keep it simple?

Thanks
seasonedsailor18

City/Region: Oak harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get this figured out?
seasonedsailor18

City/Region: Oak harbor
C-Dory Year: 1996
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new to me 16 Angler, which while I was in the process of replacing the depth finder sensor, I discovered some birds had previously nested in a hollow they had excavated from the foam.

I think I will try to create molds, line them with something that the foam will either not stick to, or simply enable me to remove them from the mold.

I am not a big fan of the Styrofoam used in the original construction, as it is easily degraded (little foam balls all over the place.) With recent bans in the state regarding Styrofoam coolers, I'm not sure about the ability to get something suitable for this use-case.

The Total Boat 2 part foam sure is spendy... though probably definitely worth investing in to keep the boat afloat in an emergency situation
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A closed cell foam is needed for its resistance to absorbing water and mold, I believe you can buy it in blocks as well that could be drilled and a rope or 1/2" pvc pipe run through them and fastened up under the gunwales.

Regards,

Rob

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use cheap single-use canned foam to lock foam blocks or boards in place and keep them up and out of the way. I use canned foam so often that I bought an applicator gun, which allows me to use a bit and keep it around for the next project.

In my photo album under Modifications - Ground Tackle it shows where I foam glued the original EPS blocks into the bow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: