The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/06 - 08/12 - 18th Annual Catalina Off-shore Adventure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question. Does MDR have a fresh water wash down available at the launch ramp, or somewhere within the parking lot? Colby
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, freshwater wash down in parking lot. Bring your own hose and nozzle and lots of quarters.

We wash off our trailers after we launch the boat and wash off everything on retrieval.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Does that mean it takes quarters also?...Colby
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quarters.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the group has dwindled down to just the four of us. Sean and Maddy are already over at Catalina Island. Pounder, C-Traveler and Sea Spray will head over tomorrow morning.

C-Traveler was the first to arrive and launch. Currently at the Marina Del Rey guest docks (Burton Chace Park).

Pounder and Sea Spray arrived and getting ready to launch.

The three of us at the Marina Del Rey guest docks this evening.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very calm crossing from Marina Del Rey to Two Harbors and Catalina Island today. I don't think we had anything more than 3' swells. A little bit of fog. Sean and Maddy on NautiCat came over from Avalon later this afternoon. We all spent the day mostly relaxing on our boats, and doing a little visiting with our dinghys and kayaks. I will say, the mooring system here is something completely new to me that I've never seen before. And somewhat of a PITA to pick up skippering solo! Then a very nice potluck where Jim and Kath provided some excellent grilled steaks. The rest of us each shared some more tasty additions to the meal. There was more than enough food for the seven of us.

Pounder and Sea Spray with a ship behind them. This was probably the most fog during the crossing, and it wasn't bad.

Pounder approaching Two Harbors with their dinghy in tow.

SeaSpray had both their dinghy (on the roof) and a kayak in tow.

SeaSpray, Pounder and C-Traveler on the east string line.

Ah, the string line. Ok, we pull in and from the bow pick up that stick holding a line off the main string line. Being solo, I came in on my kicker from the cockpit helm so I could pick the stick up from amidships. Fortunately I didn't have another boat on my port side, so I had enough room to do this. That "stick" has a bow line that you place on your bow cleat. Then also on that line you pick up, you can see the "sand" line hanging straight down into the water. You grab that line, which is anchored about 30' back and weighted to lie on the bottom. You walk back to your stern, picking up the line as you go. When you get back to your stern, you pull up the rest of the slack until you get near the end of that line, and then attach that to your rear cleat. The system keeps you mostly perpendicular to the main string line. However, with a 5' tidal change, you either have to constantly adjust the line through out the day (and night), or set it for high tide and accept the slack line when the tide goes out! BTW, you can see them in the earlier photo as well. There were 60 Jet Skiis in front of us on the other side of the string line, that were just there for a couple hours. Colby

The grillers! Steve and Jim

Patiently waiting for the chow!

Chow time!

A view of three of our boats from the beach.

NautiCat was in another row not to far from the rest of us.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And somewhat of a PITA to pick up skippering solo!

All of the moorings are setup that way at Catalina. Try anchoring in the 100 foot depth, in back of the moorings. There used to multiple cables in that area left over from WW II.

Glad the crossing was smooth; it usually is early in the day. Keep having fun; snorkeling, hiking and swimming. Snorkeling is best on Bird Rock Reef. Take at least 2 dinghies and have at one person in the dinghies as a lookout/safety.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late this morning, Steve & Karen (Sea Spray), and Jim & Kath (Pounder), joined me for a short cruise to Avalon, where we spent several hours walking around town. A Carnival Cruise Ship was in, so lots of folks milling about.

C-Traveler moored at Avalon.

Sean (NautiCat) took this photo of C-Traveler, Pounder and Sea Spray with our sterns together. We were still on the string line, and needed to get the Pounder and Sea Spray crews onto C-Traveler for our trip to Avalon. With our kayaks and dinghys in the way, there really wasn't a good way to raft up to make the transfer. Or for C-Traveler to squeeze in between Pounder and Sea Spray. But we were able to get the sterns close enough together to get across.

Sean also took this photo of his own boat. (He and Maddy had hiked up one of the hills.)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit gloomy today with rain showers passing over, but sun in between. Late this morning Jim and Kath took Steve and I to shore in their dinghy so we could walk the short path over to Catalina Harbor. Some photos from our walk. Colby

Jim, Kath and Steve walking towards Catalina Harbor.

Photo op for Steve!

Kath taking some photos of Steve while Jim looks on.

I hate taking selfies, but not sure doing it with the timer on my iPhone camera takes the best photos....

Ok, honestly. Don't you think Kath and I have the best looking knees? Mr. Green
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more photos from yesterday.

Hors devours on NautiCat

Kath and Jim at Catalina Harbor

Sean captured this nice sunrise shot in Two Harbors
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woke up to a foggy morning with some light mist. And then it stayed cloudy most the day. The NautiCat crew headed over to the other side of the Island to a local's favorite cove. I'm not sure what the crews from Sea Spray and Pounder did, but after lunch I hiked around the area looking for geocaches. And just enjoying the scenery. Colby

View of the mooring field here at Two Harbors.

The tall ship, Irving Johnson. You can read more info on this ship at this link: https://tallshipsamerica.org/vessels/irving-johnson/

The jet skii group that comes in from San Pedro, departing from Two Harbors. They seem to come in daily for just a few hours. Some kind of ride experience outfit.

Another view of the harbor.

Close up view of the jetskiis in front of us.

A view of the town and the harbor.

Jim or Kath captured this photo of a Black Crowned Night Heron on their bow line.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was our last day at Catalina Island, and I think we all just kind of relaxed on our boats, or dinghy'd around. (I mostly read.) We all enjoyed supper together at the only restaurant in town (at least at Two Harbors) The Harbor Reef Restaurant and Bar. Tomorrow morning bright and early, at 7am, we'll head out, back to Marina Del Rey. At least most of us. NautiCat will head back to Dana Point, near where they live. This has been a great trip. Thanks Jim & Kath for another fun cruise in the books!

Jim & Kath (Pounder)
Maddy & Sean (NautiCat)
Karen & Steve (SeaSpray)
Colby (C-Traveler)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a safe crossing back to the mainland, we'll close this adventure out as another great time with Jim & Kath! This time crossing the major shipping lane, we did have to alter course about 30 degrees to give a bit more separation from the Maersk container ship, "Charleston". I just looked it up and see it's a brand new ship, built this year. It was on its way back to Japan. Rosanne's flight into LAX is running a half hour late out of Chicago, so more time to kill here at the guest dock for me. (I'll load out about 90 minutes before her flight lands. And yes, I'm towing through LAX to pick her up. Hoping for light traffic! lol.) Colby

My AIS said our CPA was 2 miles. It would have been around 1 without the turn. Just a bit to close for this big guy, since we were going in front of him!

Pounder and SeaSpray ready to load out.

Karen and Steve loading SeaSpray

Steve cranking up SeaSpray

Jim and Kath loading Pounder

It's a quarter a minute for fresh water to wash down the boats.

I doubt this guy/gal paid it's slip fee!
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All.

We arrived home safely last night at 10 PM, after a 400 mile trailer back to Sacramento from Catalina Island.The 18th Annual Catalina Adventure has come to an end. We already miss the relaxation and solitude of Two Harbors.

By the time it gets to Friday, I am totally relaxed and not wanting to go home. I have always vowed that one of these days I am going to take my boat to Two Harbors and just sit on it for a month! One week is not long enough to amortize this trip.

For a variety of reasons five C-Dorys did not show up and were not coming at the last minute. Yes, it is a lot of work to get mobilized to go to Catalina and to return. We certainly missed all that did not attend. But even more so we are thankful for those few hardy soles that did attend.

Though our group was small this year, I would have to say that we enjoyed the Adventure as much as ever. These trips are all about the people who do come and not necessarily about the destination.

We are honored that Colby on C-Traveler came out to California from Madison twice this year to two of our events. That wes a huge effort on the part of Colby. Colby is extremely helpful to the group. He is a knowledgeable seaman and is great with diagnosing engine problems. He has a multitude of parts on his boat to borrow when needed. He is always there on time and ready to do anything.

Steve and Karen on Sea Spray are two of the kindest C-Dory soles. Steve is also extremely helpful with things and is a great dingy companion. I have been on many trips with Steve and truly enjoy his company.

Sean and Matty on NautiCat were new to us this year. What a fun couple they both are. Sean is a real party animal.

Until next time.

Jim & Kath
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are honored that Colby on C-Traveler came out to California from Madison twice this year to two of our events. That wes a huge effort on the part of Colby. Colby is extremely helpful to the group. He is a knowledgeable seaman and is great with diagnosing engine problems. He has a multitude of parts on his boat to borrow when needed. He is always there on time and ready to do anything.

Aw shucks! Embarrased: Just enjoying my retirement! By parts, you must mean ice cream! Mr. Green Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: