The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/06 - 08/12 - 18th Annual Catalina Off-shore Adventure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All:

The forthcoming 18th Annual Catalina Off-shore Adventure is coming up soon (August 6th to 12th). A group of us are meeting at Marina Del Rey (MDR) on Sunday, August 6th for an informal kickoff.

Kath and I will arrive at MDR late Sunday afternoon, August 6th. We will be coming with John & Laurie, and Steve & Karen. For those that want to, we go out to dinner on Sunday night at MDR, after we get out boats launched and settled in their slips at MDR. We can take the MDR harbor shuttle to a nearby restaurant.

We will then proceed to Two Harbors on Monday morning, August 6th, leaving MDR at 7:00 AM. When we get to Two Harbors, we will obtain string line reservations together facing the shore.

We will coordinate on the way over via VHF Channel 69. We will contact Harbor Patrol on VHF Channel 9 when we get to Two Harbors.

Many of us will return from Two Harbors early Saturday morning, August 12th, again leaving Two Harbors at 7:00 AM.

During the week for our activities, we may have a fishing trip (and an associated fish fry), a sightseeing trip to Avalon, a snorkeling trip, a tender excursion, hikes to Catalina Harbor, and a bicycle ride. On Friday night, we usually have a group dinner at the Harbor Reef Restaurant.

For most aging C-Dory folks it will be sufficient to just relax on our boats and have the surf lift us up and down as we enjoy a cold beer. This kick back activity includes watching the sun rise and set, and enjoying the near perfect 70-degree weather in flip-flops, shorts, and t-shirts (Jimmy Buffet style).

Some folks eat breakfast at the Galley Grill in the morning, and most eat lunches and dinners on their own boats. Often there will be mid-afternoon cocktails at the Harbor Reef Saloon or the Banning House. Some folks host a happy hour on their boats during the week. There is a good grocery store at Two Harbors where one can buy most anything, and you can replenish ice every few days.

Be sure to bring a good functioning tender, as a big part of this event is getting to and from the dingy dock, and visiting the other boats. Also, bring quarters for the pay showers, a key ingredient of happy Island Life.

On Monday night, August 7th, we will have a group pot luck on the beach somewhere. Each boat should plan on bringing something to eat to share with the group. Everyone is to bring their own drinks, plates, and silverware for Monday night.

Right now, we have the following five vessels going to Catalina:

1. Jim & Kath – Pounder
2. Colby – Sea Traveler
3. John & Laurie – Slack Time
4. Steve & Karen – Sea Spray
5. Sean & Maddy – NautiCat.

For food assignments for our Monday night BBQ pot luck on the beach we need food volunteers for the following dishes.

1. Steaks to BBQ - Jim & Kath
2. Potato or macaroni salad – John & Laurie
3. Green salad and dressing – Need volunteer, perhaps Colby
4. Corn and butter and aluminum foil – Steve & Karen
5. Ice cream (from the store) – need volunteer
6. Cookies – need volunteer.

Sean and Maddy will you be there on Monday, August 7th? If so please sign up for a food item.

If Sean & Maddy are there on Monday, please bring food for 9 people, else bring food for 7 people.

If anyone needs more details on this trip, they can call me at (916) 799-0286 (cell). We are looking forward to seeing everyone on this Island trip.

Please sign up for this trip now, if you can make it. It definitely is a fun event. There are no limits on the number who can go. So far, this is a low turn-out year, for whatever reason. Come on guys, use your C-Dory’s and get out on the ocean, you cannot be that busy.

Jim & Kath

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be much easier for me to do the cookies! (Due distance I’m coming from and my tender is a kayak. Wink ) Colby
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. This very same thing happened last year. All of a sudden, a flurry of activities right on top of this week. Last year it was my wife in Virginia and me with the animals at home. The turtle and dog went to neighbors and relatives, the parrot came with me. This year with have relatives staying with us until Tuesday night. So there’s a possibility we can come over on Thursday and stay through the weekend. Probably won’t come back with the group, rather returning on Sunday so we can fight the Sunday traffic on the freeways! Not really, need to spend as much time in paradise as possible.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
sean92056

City/Region: OCEANSIDE
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: NautiCat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Catalina Rendezvous Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. Sean and Maddy will be arriving Monday morning and will take care of the green salad and dressing. Please let me know if anything else is needed.
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sean for checking in and bringing the green salad. We needed that item. It will be good to meet you and Maddy.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim (and others), ok, I'm mapping out my route and will be coming in from Barstow. I know it's hot, but looks like the nights are cooling off to 75 degrees. I'll likely stay in Barstow Saturday night, as there are some places I've found I can "boaterhome" there. Also, that gets me to 133 miles of Marina Del Rey, and depending upon traffic, a relatively short distance to make Sunday morning. I'm hoping traffic isn't too bad on a Sunday morning. (But I do know better....) I'm looking at staying on I15 to I10, then Venice Blvd to the 405. Or should I just stay on 10 to the 405? Then per the directions from the 405 that Jim mentioned earlier.

I will be leaving home here in Wisconsin on August 1st, so that gives me 5 days to get to Barstow, a distance of 1863 miles. I would normally plan 500 miles a day, so have some slack in my schedule. If traffic around LA isn't too bad on a Sunday, I may stop before Barstow in a little higher elevation for cooler weather. In any case, I hope to arrive at MDR around noon on Sunday.

After Catalina, Rosanne will fly into LAX to join me and depending upon traffic and my mood, she'll either Uber to MDR, or I'll drive through LAX with the boat in tow, on our way down to San Diego for another week. I'm open to route suggestions, but thinking the 405 / 5 will work.

Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly out of the way, is a KOA, and near by "Peggy Sue's 50's Diner. We always stop there. It is genuine 50's diner! Plenty of room to park the rig for dinner if you want to not unhook. Spend some time in the Gift shop. There is the soda fountain, as well as all sorts of 50'a nicknack. You can take the Daggett Yermo road from I 40 to I 15. Peggy Sues is at the interjunction of the D/Y road and I 15.

I would go on the 405 to the Marina Del Ray freeway, any time of the day over Venice Blvd. (Unless you are into homeless encampments. That is where one of them tried to pull my daughter out of her car.). Not too far from the ramp is the shopping center with West Marine, and several good restaurants, plus a grocery store.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (Pounder, Slack Time, and Sea Spray) should arrive at MDR about 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Sunday. It will take us a few hours to get launched and organized as we have to deal with a tenders.

We usually all go out to dinner about 6:00 PM. We take the shuttle boat over to Whiskey Red's restaurant,

Colby, you should encourage your wife to actually go to Catalina with you. I think she would like the ambiance there. It is a totally safe passage, especially going over as a group.

Ron on his 35 foot Lobster boat (Islander) will also be coming. He is a former owner of a 22 foot C-Dory (also named Islander)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gibson wrote:
We (Pounder, Slack Time, and Sea Spray) should arrive at MDR about 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Sunday. It will take us a few hours to get launched and organized as we have to deal with a tenders.

We usually all go out to dinner about 6:00 PM. We take the shuttle boat over to Whiskey Red's restaurant,

Colby, you should encourage your wife to actually go to Catalina with you. I think she would like the ambiance there. It is a totally safe passage, especially going over as a group.

Ron on his 35 foot Lobster boat (Islander) will also be coming. He is a former owner of a 22 foot C-Dory (also named Islander)

Unfortunately, she still has to work! And I've tried to convince her 30 miles offshore is still safe...But it's not fun for me if it's not fun for her. You know what they say about keeping the Admiral happy. Wink
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Slightly out of the way, is a KOA, and near by "Peggy Sue's 50's Diner. We always stop there. It is genuine 50's diner! Plenty of room to park the rig for dinner if you want to not unhook. Spend some time in the Gift shop. There is the soda fountain, as well as all sorts of 50'a nicknack. You can take the Daggett Yermo road from I 40 to I 15. Peggy Sues is at the interjunction of the D/Y road and I 15.

I would go on the 405 to the Marina Del Ray freeway, any time of the day over Venice Blvd. (Unless you are into homeless encampments. That is where one of them tried to pull my daughter out of her car.). Not too far from the ramp is the shopping center with West Marine, and several good restaurants, plus a grocery store.

Thanks Bob. I'll look that diner up and the routing via Daggett Yermo. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked up Peggy Sues. I'll be going right by there. Think that will be my stop Saturday evening, rather than Barstow. Supper and overnight parking. All I need now is some cool weather that day/night. BTW, my best routing is still 80/76/70/15/10 or 210. It's a routing I've used before. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the Coloring Book. Yep, it'll be there. Page 21 is dedicated to this adventure. Please take time to do some coloring on that page, and feel free to look through past C-Brat get togethers colorings. The book means a lot to me as it reminds me of all the C-Brat friends I've made throughout the years, and many enjoy looking through it for the same reason. Thanks in advance. Colby
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby.

We launch at Basin H at Marina del Rey. The transient slips are in the Burton Chase Park which is EE on the map. The slips are located on your Starboard side on the way out of the Basin H. We usually take slips located towards the end of Basin H. The Check in office is near by after you find your slip and you tell them the one that you are in. Bring all insurance and registration information.

Jim
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gibson wrote:
Colby.

We launch at Basin H at Marina del Rey. The transient slips are in the Burton Chase Park which is EE on the map. The slips are located on your Starboard side on the way out of the Basin H. We usually take slips located towards the end of Basin H. The Check in office is near by after you find your slip and you tell them the one that you are in. Bring all insurance and registration information.

Jim

Thanks. That'll make it a lot easier to find my way when I get there. Smile I see they are first come first serve. Hopefully there will be some slips and rig parking around noon time that Sunday. Otherwise I may be waiting...

Also, regarding my earlier concerns about San Diego. I did learn that Shelter Island is free. Restricted to 72 hours parking, but one can move their rig to a different spot for another 72 hours. Rosanne and I will be heading there after I get back to Marina Del Rey on the 12th. And already made my reservations for a guest slip there. See you guys at MDR on the 6th. Colby
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Colby about getting a slip. That is part of the reason why we go there on Sunday and over to the Island on Monday, because of availability. Also massive amount of parking. Just be sure to buy parking for every day there or else could end up with some expensive tickets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: