The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cons to a freshwater wash down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Cons to a freshwater wash down? Reply with quote

My 22’ cruiser doesn’t have a wash down installed yet.
Normally I just use the good ol bucket trick, but I don’t love throwing all that saltwater in the boat on purpose. I primarily salmon and halibut fish along with shrimping there’s always a mess on deck.
I don’t use my freshwater tank for much. We do go overnight often, but we normally have lots of other water sources on board. Between frozen water jugs for the cooler and bottled drinking water I doubt we’ve ever used more then 5 gallons out of the tank.
So I guess my question is... Why wouldn’t I want to plumb my wash down pump into my freshwater tank?

JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been planning to do the same thing.
Thinking about putting it on the other side of the box, opposite the raw water washdown.
Figured it'd be better for rinsing down the reels, and everything else before getting back to the dock.

You'll probably get it done before me, so I'm following along.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 23, she already had a washdown system plumbed from the freshwater tank so I didn't need to do an install. It certainly has been great to have it, so I would recommend it if you use the boat for fishing.

Con: Another boat project! (Although some boat projects can be fun, others not so much.)

Slight Con: More plumbing connections that might leak.

Slightly more Con: It's amazing how much water you use from the tank for just a short washdown of the deck and gunwales after a catch. (Or the odd window wash). But, I like things that can serve dual purposes on these boats. If we are cruising and don't have access to water to re-fill the tank, I don't use the washdown system at all, reserving the water for us. If I know I can get a re-fill easily, or just day-fishing then of course I let it rip.

Chris

Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a raw water wash down on my Angler and if I were to have a freshwater tank I would plumb a T into the hose with a valve to use both tanks to one hose sprayer. ( 2 pumps required ).
Rinse fish / wash blood ect.. off deck with the raw water while fishing and when done fishing for the day blast everything with the fresh.
I figure you would save weight having to carry / fill a bigger fresh water tank.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 came with a separate washdown pump that was connected to the fresh water tank. There was a valve that set the water to the house services or to the washdown. The washdown was also useful in emptying the tank for winter.

Removed all that when I took the water tank and hoses out. Haven't missed it. Found it was much more useful to have the cabinet space (under the aft dinette seat) for storage than the water tank.
tsturm

C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cons to a freshwater wash down? Reply with quote

Fishcatcher907 wrote:
Normally I just use the good ol bucket trick, but I don’t love throwing all that saltwater in the boat on purpose. I primarily salmon and halibut fish along with shrimping there’s always a mess on deck.
I don’t use my freshwater tank for much. We do go overnight often, but we normally have lots of other water sources on board. Between frozen water jugs for the cooler and bottled drinking water I doubt we’ve ever used more then 5 gallons out of the tank.
So I guess my question is... Why wouldn’t I want to plumb my wash down pump into my freshwater tank?

No "cons" to a fresh water wash down. Unless you want to replace all your fishing gear every year Wink The only problem with having both fresh & salt wash downs is a helpful youth passenger using the salt to clean off your favorite $500.00 reel Confused Time for kings in Homer as we speak!!
ChapaRRal Cock

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Knotty Lady
Photos: Knotty Lady
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: freshwater washdown Reply with quote

I had thought about this to be able to run the motors with fresh water at the end of the day. Didn't consider using to wash gear! Now I am definitely going to do it. I am just going to T into the supply for the toilet. It already has an on-demand pump. So. it should be simple! Thanks for making me reconsider an Idea that had been passed over.
bschell

City/Region: tustin
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Photos: bschell 2003 22 Cuiser
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.... We did that about 10 years ago. Used it to take fresh water showers on the swim step at the end of the day over at San Clemente after a long day of fishing. When I got back to the ramp, if it was busy at the wash down I would just use the tank to wash down the boat and trailer and head home. Same thing at Lake Powell in fall.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a raw water wash down on SleepyC since I bought the boat. Finally fixed that problem. When I took her up to Bellingham for the Bottom paint job, I had that stupid hole in the bottom of my boat cured Cool Yup, pulled it out, plugged (patched) the hole in the bottom of the boat, and now I have one less worry on my mind when I'm half way across Juan de Fuca (12 miles in either direction to the closest land).

I do intend to not loose the pump though. It will stay, but it will get a hose that I can put overboard if I want to pump water either onto my boat our out of another boat. . . or what ever.

So, I am looking for a good recommendation for a non-collapsible hose, preferably light weight, and easily coil - able, somewhere in the 10 to 15 feet length. Any ideas are considered. Thanks

Oh, and the cons of a raw water pump -- the hole in the bottom of the boat.
The Pro's of a Fresh water pump. Nice idea but it will go through some water gallons -- quickly.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Fishcatcher907

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s it! I’m going to do it!
Fishcatcher907

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cons to a freshwater wash down? Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
Fishcatcher907 wrote:

No "cons" to a fresh water wash down. Unless you want to replace all your fishing gear every year Wink The only problem with having both fresh & salt wash downs is a helpful youth passenger using the salt to clean off your favorite $500.00 reel Confused Time for kings in Homer as we speak!!

It is time for winter kings! If the forecast improves I’ll go down this weekend.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a fresh water washdown on Thataway. Have not used it--but is there if we want.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a fresh water wash down on our 22. Nice to have but it is amazing how fast it emptied the water tank. for the purpose of cleaning boat after fishing it didn't work out well for us since no access to refill water tank where we fish. I ended up taking it off and it is sitting on a shelf in my shop.
WCF

City/Region: Central
C-Dory Year: 1995
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a garden sprayer connected to a normal 3/4 hose fitting with a normal garden selectable-sprayer thing.

Very inexpensive, no electricity, very reliable, can be filled with warm water or left in the sun for showers, can be filled with whatever water is available and appropriate for the task. Can be taken anywhere on or off the boat without a long hose.

Can also be left at home when not needed.

For salt water, I keep another one in my truck with pre-dilluted salt-away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: