The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bosch Tronic 3000T ES2.5 Electric Water Heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject: Bosch Tronic 3000T ES2.5 Electric Water Heater Reply with quote

Several of us have removed the 6g water heaters and replaced them with the Bosch Tronic 3000T ES2.5, 2.5g water heater. It fits under the sink and works pretty well. I'm not really sure what the life expectancy of these little units are, but they cost around $180 currently. I have not pulled the anode out until today. I installed the water heater in June 2020, so it's now had 4 seasons of use. Water remains in the tank about 5 months out of the year. TO get to the anode, you have to remove the front face plate, and the heating element. My element was covered in corrosion and the anode was fairly pitted. I cleaned everything up and placed it back in the tank. However, I also noticed that while the inside of the tank was glass lined, the outside was metal and rusted. See photos:

A lot of corrosion on the heating element and anode, and the anode was quite pitted.

Little better view of how pitted the anode is after some cleaning

If you look close here, you can see the tank is pretty well rusted on the outside.

A new heating element and anode costs around $90. I think for the price of the tank I will just replace the entire tank, as there are some reviews of it leaking after 3 years.

Just sharing these photos for others that have this heater. With a new tank, I will likely follow the instructions to pull the anode (which means pulling the element) annually to check and clean. I do use a RV water filter when away from home when filling my potable water tank, but that doesn't change the hardness of the water going through the system. Colby
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the anode I would say it isn't horrible. Yes there is some expected corrosion of the anode which means it is doing it's job. The anode looks to me to be able to be replaced individually. I would research it further and see if you can just buy the anode alone without the heating element. If you find one I'd just replace it and flush the tank out, reassemble and call it good for now. I learned the hard way to replace the anode in the 5th wheel trailer. I wasn't aware that there was an anode to change out. When a neighbor commented that he noticed a drip coming from my heater I did some further investigation and pulled the anode out. It looked like a piece of corroded metal coathanger wire. Needless to say it was not protecting the tank any longer and i had to replace the entire unit. But in your case I would say it is still in very good shape. Not sure if this helped but good luck with it.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, but the main reason I decided to replace the entire heater is due to the rust on the outside of the water tank and numerous reviews of leaks after several years. The cost isn’t overly expensive and I prefer not to wait until it’s leaking. Sad Colby
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up to discuss!

Here is a replacement anode:

https://www.amazon.com/Eleventree-Airston-heaters-Replacement-7738007315/dp/B0BN4WBDKD/ref=asc_df_B0BN4WBDKD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=652458393358&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9967094525758138786&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033354&hvtargid=pla-2188809750188&th=1

We are probably going to buy this water heater to replace our 6 gallon unit.
Seems way more efficient.[/url]

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmon Fisher wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up to discuss!

Here is a replacement anode:

https://www.amazon.com/Eleventree-Airston-heaters-Replacement-7738007315/dp/B0BN4WBDKD/ref=asc_df_B0BN4WBDKD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=652458393358&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9967094525758138786&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033354&hvtargid=pla-2188809750188&th=1

We are probably going to buy this water heater to replace our 6 gallon unit.
Seems way more efficient.[/url]

I think you will like it. Less space than the 6 g, lighter weight and still provides enough hot water. Even with the corrosion and rust issues I’m still happy with this model. I’ll keep a closer eye on the new one and pull the element and anode out to clean annually. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: