The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lithium battery house battery charging/alternator overload?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to LIPO batteries Reply with quote

rmullette wrote:
Well after much searching, thank god for Utube, I settled on a Weize12.8 volt-100AH battery.,https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2LLMY3?psc=1...
, After chargingg up t he battery I installed it in the boat. direct swap, and ran it for several hours starting and stoping. It was peforming properly. Charging at 14+ volts. Got my Grand sons over and headed out for the day. As soon as I was above 2,000 rpm my GPS said it was over voltage and shut down! the voltmeter was all the way of to the right, only reads to 16 volts. Reduced speed to idle and the Voltmeter went back to 14.4 volts. I turned the GPS back on and its voltage was 13.8, same as the volt meter. I increased the RPM to 2000 and the GPS went into "over voltage mode" and shut down. The voltage was showing on its screen at 16.9. I idled back to the dock and tied up. Shut the engine off and restared it several times. No problems!!! I went home and got one of my older AGM batteries, swapped them over and went again without any issues for the rest of the day. What am I doing wrong????? The LIPO batter allows over charging, the AGM doesn't.The engine is a 2004 BF 40 Honda.
4d
Edited

I strongly suspect this is because your battery BMS shut itself off because the battery was charged. And then, there is not any place for the volts and amps to go that your outboard is producing. This means you were essentially running your outboard without a battery at all creating a feedback type of loop - a very bad thing BTW where the voltage just builds and builds. A couples of folks have implied (I think) this is because it's an old Honda 40 "alternator", which really isn't an alternator all, but really a stator with a rectifier bridge...and because it uses earth magnets instead of electro magnets like a proper alternator does, it really can't turn itself all the way off. I'm not saying they're wrong...but that is the reason why they're right. However, because it's an old stator/rectifier system, it's probably why it still works today....an alternator probably would given up the ghost during your mishap.

Anyway, generally speaking, LIFEPO4 batteries are not starting batteries as the others have noted. Keep your new battery and use it for a house battery only. It's proper to isolate it from the FLA batteries because it will bleed its voltage into your starting battery and vise versa without any way of knowing or control....not great. I charge mine at home, but can switch the house to a starting battery if needed.
rmullette

City/Region: ANNAPOLIS
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: none
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not getting back,but I am in the process of accumulating a variety of reccomended, and self sourced,chargers/controllers etc etc etc. and when i get them in I will work out a system. I have always been an early adopter, and I someone tells me "I can't do that" the gauntlet is thrown! I still don't know why "everyone" says you need a wet 12 volt for starting and house battery. I have started my BF40 at least 20 times withot any issue. My BF40 is not a large engine and its starting requirements are minimal. But I would suggest that its consistant with what a lot of people use. The ability to have a lightweight battery system with twice the draw -great for trolling motors- is obvious.
I have assorted smart chargers/controllers/shunts/power sources/meters/lipo batteries/solar panels etc, etc, etc!
The weakness that I need to address is controlling the power flow from the outboard to the battery. Currently that is a, non adjustable, controller/rectifier.
There is not a soul on earth that can convince me that they can't make one to address the needs of a LIPO battery. IT IS THE FUTURE!!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Powerwerx-DCDC-8A-Adjustable-Battery-Batteries/dp/B09TV5DP98/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=e8jdz&content-id=amzn1.sym.5f7e0a27-49c0-47d3-80b2-fd9271d863ca%3Aamzn1.symc.e5c80209-769f-4ade-a325-2eaec14b8e0e&pf_rd_p=5f7e0a27-49c0-47d3-80b2-fd9271d863ca&pf_rd_r=7FP1S8QQV5HW4HPFQGD1&pd_rd_wg=fpBE2&pd_rd_r=b10967d6-4612-445c-a11a-670085c6865a&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Has anyone actuall used it???
I have a 12V to 12v 30 amp for my solar panel.
Any way -onward and upwards.
Both my outboardd and batterare still OK!!!!

This forum recomends this;
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmullette wrote:
I apologize for not getting back,but I am in the process of accumulating a variety of reccomended, and self sourced,chargers/controllers etc etc etc. and when i get them in I will work out a system. I have always been an early adopter, and I someone tells me "I can't do that" the gauntlet is thrown! I still don't know why "everyone" says you need a wet 12 volt for starting and house battery. I have started my BF40 at least 20 times withot any issue. My BF40 is not a large engine and its starting requirements are minimal. But I would suggest that its consistant with what a lot of people use. The ability to have a lightweight battery system with twice the draw -great for trolling motors- is obvious.
I have assorted smart chargers/controllers/shunts/power sources/meters/lipo batteries/solar panels etc, etc, etc!
The weakness that I need to address is controlling the power flow from the outboard to the battery. Currently that is a, non adjustable, controller/rectifier.
There is not a soul on earth that can convince me that they can't make one to address the needs of a LIPO battery. IT IS THE FUTURE!!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Powerwerx-DCDC-8A-Adjustable-Battery-Batteries/dp/B09TV5DP98/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=e8jdz&content-id=amzn1.sym.5f7e0a27-49c0-47d3-80b2-fd9271d863ca%3Aamzn1.symc.e5c80209-769f-4ade-a325-2eaec14b8e0e&pf_rd_p=5f7e0a27-49c0-47d3-80b2-fd9271d863ca&pf_rd_r=7FP1S8QQV5HW4HPFQGD1&pd_rd_wg=fpBE2&pd_rd_r=b10967d6-4612-445c-a11a-670085c6865a&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Has anyone actuall used it???
I have a 12V to 12v 30 amp for my solar panel.
Any way -onward and upwards.
Both my outboardd and batterare still OK!!!!

This forum recomends this;

Not using them as a starting battery is a general recommendation from the engineers responsible for designing the battery. Will they start stuff? Yeah, as long as they BMS doesn't sense a short circuit and shut off the power. The little outboards don't draw much so it's inside its programmed parameters of the BMS and it worked in your case. But then then there is the over voltage condition you illustrated once your battery BMS terminated the connection with outboard due to the over voltage condition. Are there workarounds? I suspect so. Worth it? Well that is just one person's opinion, but it wouldn't be to me since the FLA is not very expensive or that much heavier.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to LIPO batteries Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Anyway, generally speaking, LIFEPO4 batteries are not starting batteries as the others have noted. Keep your new battery and use it for a house battery only. It's proper to isolate it from the FLA batteries because it will bleed its voltage into your starting battery and vise versa without any way of knowing or control....not great. I charge mine at home, but can switch the house to a starting battery if needed.

Couldn't you put a diode between the house (FLA) and the Li battery? Current could then only flow into the Li battery from the house batt, but not the other way around.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to LIPO batteries Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

Couldn't you put a diode between the house (FLA) and the Li battery? Current could then only flow into the Li battery from the house batt, but not the other way around.

Yes, but the voltage drop would be an issue. The Li battery floats at about 13.6 Volts. People seriously UNDER estimate how violent and depraved people become without rule of law It needs the higher voltage to charge. The nominal voltage of a IiFePO$ is 3.2volts. 13,6 for the 12V version, Fully charged voltage 14.6 volts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to LIPO batteries Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:

Of course. Is there even an FLA involved though? I'm not really sure. I suspect Bob is right about the voltage drop issue though. There isn't much voltage drop, but there isn't much voltage to play with in 12v systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: