The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fresh water wash down made simple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Fresh water wash down made simple Reply with quote

A few weeks ago someone was looking for a way to flush their motor using fresh water tank. This is the set up that we use. I installed a Whale brand foot water pump a few years ago

https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=&Product_ID=10024&FriendlyID=Whale-Gusher-Galley-Pump-foot-operated

It is a double diagram pump and pumps on both the down stroke and up stroke. Pumps about as fast as an electric pump if you want to. Takes a little getting use to but it also eliminates the rubbery taste from the original rubber foot pump.
Then I got a length of 3/8 inside diameter tubeing and put a male hose end connection on one end and on the other I heated up the tubing a little and slid it over the sink faucet. You can use this to flush and spray down the motor. I can also use it for cleaning and filleting fish. Susan stays in the cabin and pumps water for me when I ask her to.
I had installed an electric wash down pump and it worked good but it emptied the tank really fast so I didn't use it and ended up taking it out to save space. This set up is much simpler. It can also be used to siphon the water out of your tank at the end of the season. Just throw the hose over the side of the boat and pump it until water starts running out of it and the rest will siphon. Caution should be taken to disconnect the hose from the faucet as soon as you get done with it to avoid any possible backflow

primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!
This would have been very handy in many situations over the years.
Nice to see the double action Whale pump alternative too. I was not aware of them, I am still using the single action one that came with the boat, 24 years now.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know how anyone puts up with the manual pump, but the double action is probably twice as good Smile
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My electric wash down pump does 5.5 gallons a minute. This dual action diaphragm foot pump does 4 gal per minute and fits in the same place as the original rubber pump. It is not comparable to the standard rubber foot pump in performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: