The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas stove replacement options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For HEAT, I would be sure to use a system that takes combustion air from the outside and sends the exhaust outside

Why? I will tell you why all the instructions sa to do so. These units are built for car and trucks that have far better sealing then a boat. Its to not remove all the oxygen from an inclosed space. Our boats are far to porous for that to be a concern. You gain far more benefit of removing moisture then any Imagined risk.

As for the little buddy heaters. This is a long fought over and over again myth. They are rated for and can be use in side. Say so on the box and on thier web site. Still not sure why people are not informed of this still.

Quote:
With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat.

From thier web site.

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out to the garage and took down the bin it’s been in since purchase. Turns out it’s not an undercounter only heater, it’s a Wallas Safeflame Kerosene Mini Cooker 800/220 combo stove and heater (with the top down). Looks like this except used:

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/wallas-marin/product-23495-532549.html

The label says Scan Marine installed it 0506. The manual says “The combustion gases and water vapor are discharged overboard which keeps the boat interior dry and fresh.”

I took pictures of the components. If you want to see them, please email me at johnhighsmith9@gmail.com (I don’t need these pics in my album). I apologize for my confusion, but I’ll be 68 tomorrow and pray I’ll never face a quiz on what else is in the garage that I’ve forgotten about.

Cheers!

John

PNWNEWM

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Electric heaters? Reply with quote

It seems that another option would be a cheap electric heater. May take up more space, since it has to be out, but they seem to heat very fast and they are obviously dry. Most folks seem to have an inverter onboard and the heater doesn't take much power. Then just add a butcher block over the hole in the counter and get a 2 burner propane stove to use with the windows and/or door open. Thoughts?
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

You bring up a point I've always wondered about. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Clearly, one wants to take air from inside the boat, heat it up, and blow it back into the boat. This allows the re-heating of already heated air so as to produce even warmer air. On the combustion side obviously the combustion gases must vent outside. This leaves the combustion intake. My first thought was it's safest to get air from outside, but I tend to agree with you that any air extracted from inside is easily replaced in the very non air tight enclosure of a boat, so that's not an issue for me. My curiosity concerns what's best for both gaining temperature and eliminating humidity: getting combustion air from inside or from outside? Grabbing air from inside should lower humidity since in a cold climate the relative humidity of the air outside is going to be lower than the air inside given warmer temperature, breathing, cooking, clothes drying, etc. But you are also grabbing air warmed by the heater, throwing it outside and sucking in cold air from outside thru various cracks etc. I wonder which is more desirable?

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most folks seem to have an inverter onboard and the heater doesn't take much power.

Are you kidding me? Nothing soaks up electricity more than attempting to heat something up. Using an inverter and batteries, you'd suck the batteries dry in no time. I use an electric heater when I have shore power; and as you suggest, it works great. I typically have it set at 500 watts, but if the setting existed, even 300 watts would do the trick I think. Taking even the lower 300 watts, that's about 30 amps (at 12v). So in 2 hours my 110 amp-hour battery bank (2 batteries) would be down to 50% SOC.....the lowest I allow my batteries to go. No workie.
PNWNEWM

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca)

I stand corrected. Guess that's why I don't see that as an option. Thanks.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guess that's why I don't see that as an option.

Hahahaha....be nice though wouldn't it!? What could be better than dry, no fumes, no smell, clean, electric heat? Wink Laughing
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned I removed the Kenyon stove that my boat came with. I can use the portable butane stoves inside or outside. I made a piece (ok a board) that spans the splashwell which allows cooking in the cockpit when on the boat if the weather allows it. This keeps the humidity and smells of cooking outside the boat.

I have a small electric heater that can be used either with shore power or with my Honda 1000 generator.

I also have a Little Buddy heater. This burns propane. It is an infrared heater so it does not heat the cabin air much, it heats you. This heater requires ventilation. Some people may be sensitive to the fumes if there is poor ventilation. The Little Buddy heater does have an O2 sensor that shuts it off, but it does not sense CO. I have had the cabin CO sensor go off when using this heater. While this heater does have it's uses, it is not a cabin air heater.

One thing to keep in mind with butane stoves is that they can be hard to light in cold weather. Butane vaporizes around freezing air temps. If it is cold you may have to preheat the canister by holding near your body to warm it up. Once the stove is going there is a means to transfer some of the cooking heat to the canister to keep the fuel warm.

I don't use the heat much. I'm usually more interested in cooling the cabin than warming it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Tom,

You bring up a point I've always wondered about. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Clearly, one wants to take air from inside the boat, heat it up, and blow it back into the boat. This allows the re-heating of already heated air so as to produce even warmer air. On the combustion side obviously the combustion gases must vent outside. This leaves the combustion intake. My first thought was it's safest to get air from outside, but I tend to agree with you that any air extracted from inside is easily replaced in the very non air tight enclosure of a boat, so that's not an issue for me. My curiosity concerns what's best for both gaining temperature and eliminating humidity: getting combustion air from inside or from outside? Grabbing air from inside should lower humidity since in a cold climate the relative humidity of the air outside is going to be lower than the air inside given warmer temperature, breathing, cooking, clothes drying, etc. But you are also grabbing air warmed by the heater, throwing it outside and sucking in cold air from outside thru various cracks etc. I wonder which is more desirable?

Sandy, I do exactly the same as Tom. My combustion air is taken from inside, while the exhaust continues to go outside. This brings fresh air into the cabin, supposedly drying out the condensation. On paper, that sounds good. In reality, when it's rainy outside or high humidity, I'm not sold that the outside air is dryer than your breathed out air inside. But regardless, the heater is also still using cabin air in it's intake for it's heated output. The Webasto puts out enough heat, that what's being drawn in for the combustion isn't a problem. Colby
WCF

City/Region: Central
C-Dory Year: 1995
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Quote:
For HEAT, I would be sure to use a system that takes combustion air from the outside and sends the exhaust outside

Why?

I wasn't trying to be the heater police.

I mentioned the exhaust/intake only because this is the reason the Wallas exhaust/intake is designed the way it is, and the reason it is not compatible with the china heaters. My suggestion wasn't based on safety, it was based on moisture.

My experience with the Little Buddy is that the heat is not worth the moisture. I don't like being wet or huffing exhaust in an enclosed space, but that's just my preference.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace all my B vent propane space heaters with direct vent about 20 years ago because they were no longer acceptable to code. Problem in a house that is sealed up tight - they can lead to negative pressure in the house. This can lead to a low carburizing flame, blown out pilot lights, or fumes being drawn down other chimneys.

In a drafty boat negative pressure may not be a problem but since a B vent type appliance will draw air in any crack the boat may feel colder in many of its spaces. Since heat distribution is often a problem on a boat the direct vent unit may be the best heat.

Whatever your choice make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.

Rob

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the Wallas stove is different than many. We have had one in 4/5 C Dorys we have owned and never had any problems we could not fix right there. The most recent C Dory 25 had one of the small butane cartridge stoves, which we gave away. We went to an induction burner & Microwave with LiFePO4 batteries and 2000 watt inverter.

Although it is rare, seals do fail on some of the cartridge stoves. One of my close friends was badly burned and spent several months in a burn center ICU from a failed seal. Note the post above about a failed seal. I had propane on all of my long distance cruising/racing sailboats. But with dedicated storage lockers, which vented overboard, two sniffers and a solenoid operated cut off valve at the tank.

Any open flame heater needs oxygen input and exhaust gas discharge outside of the boat. Also there is accumulation of moisture in the boat, if not properly vented. Always the risk of CO poisoning, so multiple CO detectors should be utilized.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mentioned the exhaust/intake only because this is the reason the Wallas exhaust/intake is designed the way it is, and the reason it is not compatible with the china heaters.

The wallas and the chines versions are identical... they just ripped off the wallas/espar heaters. ( not talking about the stove top heater but the same applies) Both are mostly built for inclosed motor vehicles. That is why the instructions state to use out side air for combustion. NOT because out side air is better or mystical more burnable. Its to not take the chance of removing to much air from the cab. Its a lawsuit lawyer thing. The reality of that happening is in question. As for our boats its just not a problem.

My cool air intake for combustion is under the rear seat of the table. Its right at the bottom of the floor where the coldest air is. The cabin driest up when we run the heater. You can feel it. We ofter fish with the heater on and the door open so we can sit inside and watch the rods and we still stay warm. Having a separate heater and cook top was the best thing we did to the boat.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more comfortable with a furnace that draws air from the outside when one of those butane or propane canisters springs a leak. It might keep you from going boom.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
... The wallas and the chines versions are identical... they just ripped off the wallas/espar heaters. ...

Not really ripped off. Apparently the patent expired so they became public domain. Patents are only good for 20 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: