The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Waste holding tank monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwboater

City/Region: PNW
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Easy Rider
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Waste holding tank monitor Reply with quote

I am getting acquainted with our new-to-us 2017 Tomcat and do not see a waste tank monitor -- Has anyone installed a sensor/monitor to show tank levels? Also, how many gallons is the holding tank?
Selene 47 "Kika"
Willard 40 "Northstar"
Classic Monk cruiser "Annie B"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the integral holding tank in the bottom of the commode is still used, and the capacity is approximately 9 gallons.

As I recollect the tanks are translucent enough to see the liquid level.

There are several types of holding tank level monitors--same as used in RV, plus the more expensive monitors which use air pressure on demand.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the RV monitors ever work correctly on a black water tank? I have had little luck with any of the ones I have had to get them to consistently work correctly. It's really good you can see the level. I wish I could on my Winnebago.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Do the RV monitors ever work correctly on a black water tank? I have had little luck with any of the ones I have had to get them to consistently work correctly. It's really good you can see the level. I wish I could on my Winnebago.

The black water monitors on our last two RV's (a period of about 17 years) have worked well. They are external tank monitors. The 42' diesel pusher had a 100 ballon blackwater tank. Our Current 25' on a Mercedes sprinter chassis has a 50 gallon blackwater tank. The grey and fresh water also work well.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the probe type sensors, not the mechanical float type in the grey and black water tanks. These are harder to gunk up and malfunction.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be somewhat delicate about it (and that is not my strong suit) - you are looking down into the tank when you flush... you will know when it is getting full.

We have been RVing for over 30 years, and the SeaLand Marine/RV toilet in the later C-Dorys is easy to use, especially compared to a more typical marine toilet. A few things that have worked well for us:

* Use rapidly dissolving toilet paper (Angel Soft works well and is easily availablel).
* Consider putting a ball valve into the water line feeding the toilet - using the foot pedal will fill your tank faster when you can't control the flow of fresh water into the toilet.
* Use liquid RV black tank products without formaldehyde - it will keep the odor down and break down the solids faster.
* We used a squeeze bottle with fresh water in it as a rinse instead of the foot pedal... it really saves on the tank "storage."
* After a pump out, run more fresh water into the holding tank and pump it out again. Put the RV holding tank stuff in with a bit of fresh water when done with the pump out.
* We used the shower in the head on our CD-25. Water will get into your toilet bowl from the shower. My wife made a waterproof cover to put over the toilet when we showered - again, saving that holding tank from filling faster than necessary.
* All this sounds like a bunch of work - it isn't. Most of the time, with two of us on the boat full-time, we needed to pump out about once a week +/-.

Congrats on the upgrade to the TC255 - great boat!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: