View previous topic :: View next topic  
paherrmann

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bucket List
Photos: Biganuf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Flushing a 1999 Honda BF40 with Muffs Reply with quote

Hello fellow C-Dory owners,

This is my first year storing my boat in saltwater, and I have found it more challenging to access the motor for maintenance. I'm looking for a more convenient solution to flush my 1999 Honda BF40 engine without having to "swim" to the lower unit (figuratively speaking, of course!). I've been considering tilting the motor up and using muffs while it's still in the water.

Has anyone tried this approach before? If so, were you able to effectively flush the engine without causing any harm or complications? I'd appreciate any feedback, tips, or precautions from those who have experience with this method.

Additionally, I have a question regarding the additional water intake mentioned in the Honda manual. The muffs cover the side water intakes, but the manual indicates there is another water intake as well. Here's a photo of the intake in question: Honda BF40 Water Intakes photo

Could anyone with experience flushing this specific model year please let me know if it is necessary to tape over the additional water intake during the flushing process, or if using the muffs alone is sufficient?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Honda 90 and a 9.9 and both of these can be flushed without putting muffs on. On the 90 there is a hose attachment on the side that you can screw the garden hose into. The 9.9 requires an adapter and the removal of the cover to flush with a hose. i would check you owners manual and find out if this feature was incorporated in you motor.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the 1999 twin Honda 40’s, I flushed them many times with the muffs just over the side intakes, but always made sure there was enough water pressure & flow to have water coming out of the top intake when flushing. This was always done with boat on the trailer with the motors down & not with the boat in the water, so can’t say how that might work for you. I was also making sure water was flowing from the pee flow, when the engine was running, while flushing.

Jay

paherrmann

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bucket List
Photos: Biganuf
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I too have found that with high enough water pressure water will exit the top intake just with muffs. The key here was getting the good muffs that push water to both sides.

As far as doing this in the water, the 16 is small enough that I can tilt the motor up, lean over the back and secure the muffs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: