View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffandi

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ripple
Photos: Ripple
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Emergency Medical Insurance for Canada cruising Reply with quote

Has anybody found/used a travel insurance company that provides emergency medical insurance and emergency transport while cruising in Canada from the U.S.? So far, the companies I've contacted only provide coverage if you've booked a trip with a Cruise line or Charter service - not for private boat use.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When travelling to the US from Canada we get our medical insurance added to our CAA/AAA policy which also covers emergency situations on the road but we have never taken our boat across.

Rob

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our secondary insurance (thru Cal Pers) has emergency medical coverage world wide (even where our Medicare insurance will not cover).

We are members of Family Motor Coach Association, which includes medivac transport for members. We have never had to use it. However a C Brat had to be medically evacuated out of Oak Creek Canyon by helicopter, to Flagstaff. Then flew via medical air ambulance to San Diego about a week later. The bills were picked up by the Family Motor Coach Association medical evaluation insurance. FMCA also provided a driver to take the motor coach and the towed C Dory, driving to San Diego. (I took their C Dory to Antelope Canyon, and Marie drove our C Dory following, to pick me up after we had the boat secure on its trailer. ]
This brings up that our Admirals, or second mates (however you view this) capable of driving our C Dorys to safety in case of an emergency. Marie had practice doing this when she had to single handily sail our 62 foot Ketch about 60 miles to get medical help when I had a paralyzed leg due to a back injury.

This is a very important subject. We had a friend who was on a Viking Cruise on the Rhine River. He had a sudden onset of neurological disease, and had to be hospitalized in a coma in a German hospital. The cruise line sent an English/German speaking lady to check on him (and his wife) to resolve any translation issues, since the physicians spoke little English. Eventually he had to be air medicvaced to the nearest major hospital to his home. The Medivac flight alone was over $120,000--This included a jet with pilot and co pilot, one refuel stop. There were two paramedics/RN's on board, and enough room for his wife. All expenses were paid for by his travel insurance. By the time the German Hospital bills were included the cost was over $200,000!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jeffandi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
When travelling to the US from Canada we get our medical insurance added to our CAA/AAA policy which also covers emergency situations on the road but we have never taken our boat across.

Rob

Thank you for the tip Rob!
We're embarking on a 3 - 4 month cruise next month and have been having difficulty finding an insurance company that provides coverage to boaters who strike out on their own vs booking with a cruise line.
jeffandi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Our secondary insurance (thru Cal Pers) has emergency medical coverage world wide (even where our Medicare insurance will not cover).

We are members of Family Motor Coach Association, which includes medivac transport for members. We have never had to use it. However a C Brat had to be medically evacuated out of Oak Creek Canyon by helicopter, to Flagstaff. Then flew via medical air ambulance to San Diego about a week later. The bills were picked up by the Family Motor Coach Association medical evaluation insurance. FMCA also provided a driver to take the motor coach and the towed C Dory, driving to San Diego. (I took their C Dory to Antelope Canyon, and Marie drove our C Dory following, to pick me up after we had the boat secure on its trailer. ]

This brings up that our Admirals, or second mates (however you view this) capable of driving our C Dorys to safety in case of an emergency. Marie had practice doing this when she had to single handily sail our 62 foot Ketch about 60 miles to get medical help when I had a paralyzed leg due to a back injury.

This is a very important subject. We had a friend who was on a Viking Cruise on the Rhine River. He had a sudden onset of neurological disease, and had to be hospitalized in a coma in a German hospital. The cruise line sent an English/German speaking lady to check on him (and his wife) to resolve any translation issues, since the physicians spoke little English. Eventually he had to be air medicvaced to the nearest major hospital to his home. The Medivac flight alone was over $120,000--This included a jet with pilot and co pilot, one refuel stop. There were two paramedics/RN's on board, and enough room for his wife. All expenses were paid for by his travel insurance. By the time the German Hospital bills were included the cost was over $200,000!

Wow, some incredible stories you've shared, Bob!
Thank you for the leads on a couple of possibilities - I'll definitely check them out!
Just trying to prepare for any conceivable situation while in another country, since Medicare doesn't follow us there.
Having the peace of mind knowing that you're financially covered for any potential injury or illness that can befall you - even if in the hinterlands - is priceless.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. We use Emergency Plus, it's about $200 a year and covers both of us anywhere in the world. We learned about it from Bill and El who had occasion to use it a few years ago and their story is similar to the one shared by Dr. Bob-covered everything!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place to look for this type of insurance is DAN (Divers Alert Network).. I don't. have experience with it recently, since I had to stop SCUBA diving. But they still have a membership travel insurance, and Medivac insurance.

There are any number of plain "insurance" and emergency Medical insurances on the internet. I don't have personal experience with any. Some do have a physician on standby or a hospital ER on standby. I do have some experience in this type of service from the provider end.
jeffandi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pat and Dr. Bob, again, for your input and suggestions - it's certainly opened up more options that I had!
What an feature to have available this invaluable source of information from the well of knowledge and experience we find in the C-Brat community!
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check out DAN.org. Divers Alert Network. Dive Accident Insurance.

We have used that for boat trips to Canada but fortunately never had a claim.

They advertise:
Covers diving, nondiving and named water sports accidents & injuries
Pays 100% of eligible accident medical expenses up to US$500,000
Available for divers age 70 and over in the U.S. and Canada (as well as younger ages)
Join DAN first, then add your insurance
Plans recognized worldwide
Annual coverage

They also sell travel insurance to members using AIG.
Inexpensive for an annual membership/policy

That is the extent of my knowledge. They have a good website. About $75/yr.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and important subject. My wife and I are with Kaiser. I'm under Medicare and the Senior Advantage Plan (at no cost). I opened a chat session with Kaiser this morning. They said I'm fully covered world-wide, which surprised me. I asked further what if I was to be airlifted in an emergency. They said, covered, the most I'd have to pay is a $50 co-pay. If this is all true, do Blue Cross and other health agencies have the same policy? If not, this would be a major selling point for Kaiser I'd think.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
jeffandi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip on DAN, Phil. Checked their website, however, and looks like the $500,000 medical coverage is for dive-related accidents only. Non-dive related accidents have only $30,000 coverage.
I did find a website, "Best Quote Travel Insurance", that compares all the Canadian Insurance companies that offer emergency medical coverage to visitors to Canada.
MSH International appears to have the best rates on the list.
Dianne and I are both on Medicare and we can buy $500,000 emergency medical coverage (each) for roughly $1500 for a 5 month period.
I know, Kaiser's plan sounds like the best to own if you can.
All of the companies/plans I've looked at offer emergency transport between hospitals, but none - from what I could tell, offered coverage for emergency airlift transport from a remote location (i.e., PLI, Desolation Sound, etc).
There is a company, however, call Global Rescue that does offer that service - in fact they are used by companies like National Geographic. They also offer other features in their coverage, but do NOT offer emergency medical (healthcare) coverage.
For 5 months coverage for us it was about $950.
So if one wants the whole enchilada of emergency coverage it appears you need to go with 2 separate companies.
Of note, also, I found that a Canadian company called C-Tow offers more comprehensive coverage in Canadian waters than BoatUS.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My wife and I are with Kaiser. I'm under Medicare and the Senior Advantage Plan (at no cost). I opened a chat session with Kaiser this morning. They said I'm fully covered world-wide, which surprised me. I asked further what if I was to be airlifted in an emergency. They said, covered, the most I'd have to pay is a $50 co-pay. If this is all true, do Blue Cross and other health agencies have the same policy? If not, this would be a major selling point for Kaiser I'd think.

I have interacted with Kaiser thru all of medical career. There are advantages and disadvantages. I personally would not choose it for my medical care--but there are many features, which I know that folks like and feel very good about their Kaiser care.

The last 8 years I have been dealing with Kaiser in S. Calif. as they were the life long provider for my aunt, who had dementia and lived in a board and care home. I was durable power of attorney for her health care, and had to follow all of the steps for every interaction. This has included emergencies, routine outpatient visits, several hospitalizations Home health etc and surgeries. Also my son in law's mother and father are long term Kaiser patients, with the father being an MD who has worked part time in Kaiser facilities for over 30 years. It is sort of if you know how to work the system, and find a conscientious Doctor, then it is excellent. If not, then it can be only mediocre and even dangerous.

The important issue if you have Kaiser is to communicate with Kaiser's emergency number for every single step along the way. Get permission and keep Kaiser appraised at every step, keep excellent records interactions, and copies of all billing and medical history and procedures etc if out of area.

Below is quote from the Kaiser Emergency/Urgent care brochure:
Kaiser Travel Emergency and Urgent Care.. If you are traveling, be sure and keep this brochure with you at all times. (Maybe on your cell phone as the PDF.)

Also in your "emergency contact" put the Kaiser number. For example right behind my driver's license is my emergency contacts--persons, what insurance plans, emergency transport plans etc are to be contacted. On the other side of this card (fine print! is Medical History and list of current medication. In any ER and most EMS interactions the Driver's license will be taken out to be scanned or copied--and then the emergency information revealed. (I also have a very small label, which says, "Med.Info. under DL" over the top of the clear window covering the driver's license.

Kaiser's coverage is somewhat limited: You have to reside in these areas to have the insurance, or traveling, with permanent domicile in these areas:

Quote:

Local markets
Northern California. Central Valley. Diablo. East Bay. Fresno. Golden Gate. Greater Sacramento. ...
Southern California. Coachella Valley. Kern County. Inland Empire. Metro Los Angeles/West Los Angeles. Orange County. ...
Washington. Washington. Central Washington. Eastern Washington. Coastal and Olympic Region. Puget Sound.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am preparing for my trip after Friday Harbor to Princess Louisa Inlet, I'm looking into international emergency medical insurance. I have medicare as of this past March, and it does NOT cover international emergency care. I have a supplement through Mutual of Omaha, and while it covers 80%, it has a lifetime maximum of $50,000. (Not much in today's health care costs!) I've come across GeoBlue. It's by Blue Cross and Blue Shield. My stepdaughter has traveled a number of times internationally, and the last time she was not with a group and on her own for emergency medical insurance coverage. She used GeoBlue as she said it had good reviews. I like what I see for coverage, including up to $500,000 for transportation/evacuation. FWIW, for a $1,000,000 policy for two weeks coverage, $500 deductible a 65 yo man, the premium costs is $99.40. There are other plans I saw for cheaper, but this seemed to have very good coverage. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
lifetime maximum of $50,000. (Not much in today's health care costs!)
. My most recent cardiac stents (2 separate ones in the last year) cost over $50,000 each!

It is very easy to knock off $100,000 in medivac costs, especially if there are international borders involved. About 10 years. ago when we had a C Brat who had to be med evacuated out of Oak Creek Canyon at Lake Powell, and then airlifted (chopper) to Flagstaff, and eventually by air ambulance to San Diego cost more that $100,000.
jeffandi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Colby - thanks for responding to my post!
I just checked out the website and GeoBlue, unfortunately, says they don't offer coverage for Washington residents.
A number of Canadian companies that insure visitors to Canada can be found on Best Quote Insurance website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: