Swim steps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptvic

City/Region: Quarryville
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: c-pearl
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Swim steps Reply with quote

Is it possible to buy replacement swim steps like the originals?? Our one has failed where ladder is attached and the other has a lot of stress cracks so won't be too far behind.
We have a 2006 22'. Does anyone know approx. cost?
I have an email into cdory but heard nothing so far.thanx all!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swim steps Reply with quote

cptvic wrote:
Is it possible to buy replacement swim steps like the originals?? Our one has failed where ladder is attached and the other has a lot of stress cracks so won't be too far behind.
We have a 2006 22'. Does anyone know approx. cost?
I have an email into cdory but heard nothing so far.thanx all!

Having two swim steps are two factory options. People have bought second swim steps from the factory, but that depends on if the factory is busy with other projects. You will get much better response with a phone call.

However, from what you describe, it would be very easy to repair the swim steps you have now. I wonder what caused "stress cracks". I have owned 4 C Dory with swim steps and the ladder, and have never seen a failure or significant "stress cracks". Perhaps these are not "stress cracks" but where someone has hit the dock? or put too much load on the swim step.

If you take the current swim steps out, to replace you will have to remove both fuel tanks, then be sure that the holes in the transom are properly epoxy plugged, and then drill holes in the new swim steps which are exactly identical to those in current swim steps. There is probably a urethane adhesive, between the current swim steps and the hull which will have to be removed (Heat, piano wire, and debon). Then this area completely repaired to accept the new swim steps.

The alternate is making the repair with 1708 fiberglass and epoxy. Thickened epoxy, gel coat or glued on non skid/Sea Deck etc for the surface.

Look for the easiest solution which will give the best results.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cptvic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently cracking platforms where the ladder attaches have happened to others as well.
No banging into anything. Once in awhile forgetting the ladder was down when underway has happened.
Our platform has 4 bolts 2 at top of transom and the other 2 lower lag bolts into the transom below gas tank level.
The price of new platforms from factory is very pricey so will be having a fiberglass shop rebuild and reinstall. Cdory wants 1,157 each.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once in awhile forgetting the ladder was down when underway has happened.
Our platform has 4 bolts 2 at top of transom and the other 2 lower lag bolts into the transom below gas tank level.

Yes indeed, running with the ladder down is a stress beyond what the platform was designed. Post photos of the damage. Both top and bottom of both platforms.

Lag bolts thru the transom is something which has been done, but is definitely not best practice--and can/will lead to transom core damage. Any penetrations of a cored part of the transom will lead to water intrusion and eventually rot and failure of the transom. If one is an area where the boat is subject to freeze thaw cycles this becomes worse.

The holes where the bolts and lag screws are placed, if in cored part, should have the holes drilled out, fiberglass undercut, and then area filled with thickened epoxy. Most fiberglass shops will not do this. Yes, if the fiberglass shop is not doing this it is shortcutting and wrong.

I am a bit puzzled as to how the lag bolts can be "below the level of the gas tank". Please explain. The fuel tanks sit on the inside of the hull (inner fiberglass layer of of the bottom of the boat). The transom core and bottom core don't exactly meet at the junction of the transom and the hull. There is a small area of solid glass (and often mostly resin) where the transom and hull bottom meet. This is all laid up when the hull is built in the mold. In 2006, one could get the 22 with just the inner layer of the boat bottom as the cockpit floor, a two part set of fiberglass panels which fill the area, and made it level between the front batten of the fuel tank and aft cabin bulkhead. A few of the later 2006 models had the one piece flat floor, fabricated in place.

Again, photos help a lot. Ask one of the moderators for a photo album. (DaNag or TyBoo the 2nd and 3rd members in the "Member list"

Wow inflation has hit. The platforms used to be in the $500 range. The amount of materials, to build the fiberglass step in probably less than $200. (OEM prices for cloth, mat and resin.) There are other swim platforms which could be used. Be sure and get a solid price for the swim step repairs, and proper re-installation of the step onto the hull, with the epoxy plug as noted above.
cptvic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assumed the lag bolts were below that they didn't have backing nuts like the top. Perhaps just into the area u talked about.our boat was at the end of when they made the 2 cockpit floor boards. We have raised strips of glass that surround the gas tanks.also nonskid surface on the gunnel steps.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat came with one swim step and I added another. You can install the bolts for the step behind the tank if you're dextrous. It wasn't a problem for me. The transom slopes and the tank rear wall is vertical, so there is a space (at least on my boat). Just don't get carried away when drilling the holes.

The factory step is not cheap. I'd guess it would be close to $1k now.
cptvic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we added the second platform new from the dealer( cutter marine) so there would be no new drilling.

Does anyone know if the flat part of platform has any wood inside the fiberglass, not meaning the blocks backing the ladder attachment??
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the swim platforms top deck, had wooden core. If you look at the bottom of the platform, you can see the area where there is core, and where there is no core around the edges.

Again, photos would help all of us in determining what the best practice in repairing your swim steps would be.

It would be very rare that your dealer (Cutter Marine) would have used best practices to protect the transom core. So when you replace the repaired steps, you should probe the transom to be sure that the core around the Bolts has no water intrusion or rot. Then the surrounding core area should be removed with either a Dremel tool bit, bent nail or Allen wrench...Then this are painted with neat epoxy and then epoxy thickened to seal the core from the area where the bolts go through.
baref00tin

City/Region: Deltona
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: COUPE SEA VILLE
Photos: COUPE-SEA-VILLE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just repaired my factory swim step. The lower brace was breaking through the bottom fiber glass. I removed all the old hardware drilled holes for the new ladder, taped the bottom and injected JB marine epoxy into all the holes filled as mush of the hollow gap between the layers as I could. I cut down a thin PVC board and used Loctite Marine to seal the boards. I then redrilled the new mounting holes and inserted stainless 5/16 elevator bolts with a squeeze of silicone and attached the ladder with nylon lock jam nuts.

I am working on adding photos but if you are on the C-Dory Boats facebook page I posted last night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: